Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nathan Dunlap - Colorado

Hickenlooper set to discuss looming Dunlap execution with defense team, prosecutors

The defense team for Nathan Dunlap, whose execution could take place some time in August, is scheduled to meet with Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper and his staff on Friday, FOX31 Denver has confirmed.

Dunlap, who was convicted of murdering four people inside an Aurora Chuck E. Cheese back in 1994, is one of three people sitting on Colorado’s death row.

Hickenlooper is also scheduled to meet separately with District Attorney George Brauchler and prosecutors on the Dunlap case.

If Arapahoe District Judge William Sylvester sets an execution date at Wednesday afternoon’s hearing, as he’s expected to do, Hickenlooper will be facing increasing pressure to make a decision about whether or not to move forward with the execution.

In an exclusive interview last week, Hickenlooper told FOX31 that he’s conflicted about what to do on the looming execution and on the issue of the death penalty itself.

“I think it’s the toughest thing I’ve had to deal with,” Hickenlooper told FOX31 Denver.

Hickenlooper’s Chief of Staff Roxane White and General Counsel Jack Finlaw, who are leading the administration on the Dunlap case, both personally oppose the death penalty.

Former Corrections Chief Tom Clements, who was murdered in March by a paroled felon, Evan Ebel, also spoke passionately against the death penalty during a cabinet retreat last year, Hickenlooper told FOX31 Denver.

“My cabinet are about half and half,” Hickenlooper said. “Maybe about 60 percent oppose the death penalty, 40 percent support it.”

Defense attorney Dan Recht believes Hickenlooper may choose to commute the sentence.

“He is ambivalent about it now, and he’s being pushed by several people to commute the death penalty of Nathan Dunlap,” Recht said. “He may well do that.”

Last month, legislation to repeal the death penalty outright faltered at the Capitol after Hickenlooper told Democrats that he would consider vetoing it because he’s unsure the public would support it.

In 2011, Oregon Gov. John Kitzhaber, a Democrat, enacted a moratorium on state executions, unwilling to participate in what he called a “failed system” but stopping short of repealing the state’s death penalty outright.

Hickenlooper could be considering a similar path forward, although sources indicate that the Oregon model isn’t exactly applicable to Colorado because of differences in the death penalty statute.

http://kdvr.com/2013/05/01/hickenloo...m-prosecutors/
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Judge Chooses August For Execution Of Nathan Dunlap

The judge has set an execution week for a man convicted of killing four people at a Colorado pizza restaurant in 1993.

The judge set Nathan Dunlap’s execution week for Aug. 18-24. The judge will also scheduled another hearing before then to take up defense issues.

Before the dates were set, Dunlap’s attorneys asked a judge to delay designating a week for execution, saying Dunlap’s death sentence was meant to be served only after he completed a 75-year sentence for robbery.

They’re also asking the Colorado Supreme Court to rule that state prison officials first must get public input on how it performs executions.

Separately, they say making inmates wait on death row for decades facing possible execution is cruel and unusual punishment.

Dunlap could avoid execution if Gov. John Hickenlooper grants him clemency. Hickenlooper plans meetings soon with victims’ families and others regarding Dunlap.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/05/0...lorado-inmate/

Do you think that Hinkenlooper will pull the trigger on Dunlap given that he's a Dem?

There were 4 victims and the murder was committed in a Chuck E. Cheese's, I would hope not.

After the Aurora shootings and with James Holmes' impending trial, it would be political insanity for Hickenlooper to intervene.
    "I have adopted the Italian way of life... I may stab you!"
    — Heidi

"You make the British Lion seem like a declawed, toothless, neutered fat tabby with the mange."
    — Weidmann1939

"Maybe you think your being clever."
    — Weidmann1939

That's what I thought JT but I've read that Dem governor's are not that much good with carrying out Death sentences.

I've never had much respect for that man (lived in Denver for about 5 years...but moved away 5 years ago), but if he allows his personal feelings to affect judgement, and the wishes of the people of Colorado, I will have zero respect for him, and I believe the rest of the state will have none as well. What will this say towards the handling of Holmes going forward if he doesn't want to execute someone now?

Hickenlooper chief of staff critical of Dunlap death penalty

Gov. John Hickenlooper's chief of staff, Roxane White, sent a series of tweets critical of the death penalty after the hearing to set convicted killer Nathan Dunlap's execution week.

The governor, himself, has not publicly stated an opinion on the death penalty or the Dunlap case or whether he would intervene.

The governor's office says White "tweeted on her own" but would not make her available to comment.

"At the Hearing To Set the Execution Date for Nathan Dunlap. There has to be a more humane path. #COleg"

Arapahoe County District Attorney George Brauchler said the governor intervening in the case would stop justice from occurring. Brauchler took offense to another tweet from White insinuating that race played a role in the prosecution and sentences of the three people currently on death row in Colorado.

"CO has three on death row. All from same judicial dist, all African American men from the same high school. http://www.icomdp.org"

Brauchler said the Dunlap prosecution team was set to meet with the governor on Friday to discuss Dunlap's impending execution.

"The way our system is set up right now the governor need do nothing for justice to occur," Brauchler said. "He must take an affirmative action to interrupt what is already taking place, to stop justice from occurring. My sense is he was trying to do the right thing he wanted to hear from the victims in the case. He wanted to hear from the prosecution team, and I presume he's going to meet with the defense team as well. But when you see tweets like this from probably the highest ranking person in his administration in advance of that meeting it makes you wonder."

Dunlap's execution week has been scheduled for Aug. 18-24.

http://www.9news.com/news/article/33...-death-penalty

Group calls for clemency in Nathan Dunlap's murder case

Citing racial bias, geographic concentration, and disproportionate usage in Colorado's application of capital punishment, various influential local leaders called on Colorado Governor John Hickenlooper to commute Nathan Dunlap's death sentence to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

A clemency petition was filed Monday by Dunlap's attorneys.

"We ... urge you to grant clemency because the death penalty in Colorado is deeply flawed," states a letter to Governor Hickenlooper, signed by former judges. "These facts depict a system that acts in an arbitrary fashion, based on factors such as race and geography ... Assuming that the death penalty may sometimes be appropriate, there is no principled reason for it to be applied in the circumstances of this case."

Dunlap could be executed during the week of Aug. 18 to 24, but the judge also set a hearing June 10 to hear arguments from Dunlap's attorneys, who are challenging the constitutionality of the death penalty.

Dunlap's attorneys say making inmates wait on death row for decades facing possible execution is cruel and unusual punishment.

"We will not stop trying to save Mr. Dunlap's life now or next week, or the week after," Dunlap's defense attorney Phil Cherner said. "We represent a very remorseful client, and it's a tragedy that this is moving forward."

Some victims' families say they're glad the case is moving forward.

"We've been waiting for that," said Bob Crowell, whose 19-year-old daughter Sylvia was killed in the restaurant.

But after spending 20 years in court, they're not certain what will happen next.

"We'll just have to see what happens," Crowell's wife Marj Crowell said, "We've had so many hearings and delays. But it's nice to have a date to at least work with."

Dunlap was convicted in 1996 of killing four employees of a Chuck E. Cheese restaurant in Aurora.

He could avoid execution if Gov. John Hickenlooper grants him clemency. Hickenlooper plans private meetings in coming days with victims' families and others regarding Dunlap.

Many of the supporters for clemency express concern in their letters that the death penalty in Colorado is not used proportionally, and it is concentrated geographically and by the profile of the prisoner, with racial bias and a bias towards younger offenders.

In a state whose population is 4.3 percent African American, Colorado's death row is 100 percent African American.

"Of the 64 counties in the state of Colorado, only one county, Arapahoe, is responsible for all the current death sentences in the state," states the release. "All three men on Colorado's death row committed their crimes when they were under the age of 21. A recent study of every murder conviction in Colorado from 1999 to 2010 found that while the death penalty was an option in 92 percent of those cases, prosecutors chose to pursue the sentence through the sentencing phase in less than 1 percent of cases."

Colorado has executed only one person in the last 45 years.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/arti...n-Dunlaps-case

These "local leaders" have to be having a laugh. The State of Colorado uses the death penalty exceedingly sparingly. Dunlap killed numerous victims, and the alleged disproportionality of the death penalty in other cases is irrelevant: it is not disproportionate in this case. And while Dunlap is black, I have no doubt that a white man would be a perfect candidate for a death sentence in any case indistinguishable from this one.
    "I have adopted the Italian way of life... I may stab you!"
    — Heidi

"You make the British Lion seem like a declawed, toothless, neutered fat tabby with the mange."
    — Weidmann1939

"Maybe you think your being clever."
    — Weidmann1939

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information