Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Ernest Lee Johnson - Missouri Execution - October 5, 2021

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    The victims:

Fred Jones

Mary Bratcher (pictured holding her son)

I could not find a picture of Mabel Scruggs.

Senior Member Member
    I think the most upsetting thing about the death penalty is hearing that the executed are "no longer suffering" and that they "are in a better place". These are cruel murderers! I can't believe some people are saying and believing that! It is the victims that go to heaven and not the creeps! If there were no more murders or treason, or espionage there would not be a death penalty! Geez! next people will be saying these creeps should be freed to run amuck and they are the best people ever known in this world! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCOTUS denied a stay with no noted dissents.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...521zr_k53l.pdf
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Dunham is having an episode on twitter over this right now.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Johnson was pronounced dead at 6:11 PM CST
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Glad to see justice FINALLY served in this case. A 6 year fishing expedition of litigative profligacy over a meritless appeal finally finished.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Missouri man executed for killing 3 workers in ’94 robbery

BONNE TERRE, Mo. (AP) — A Missouri man was put to death Tuesday for killing three workers while robbing a convenience store nearly three decades ago, an execution performed over objections from racial justice activists, lawmakers and even the pope.

Ernest Johnson died from an injection of pentobarbital at the state prison in Bonne Terre. He silently mouthed words to relatives as the process began. His breathing became labored, he puffed out his cheeks, then swallowed hard. Within seconds, all movement stopped.

In his written last statement, Johnson said he was sorry “and have remorse for what I do.” He said he loved his family and friends and thanked those who prayed for him.

Johnson was pronounced dead at 6:11 p.m., nine minutes after the dose was administered. A corrections department spokeswoman said four relatives representing all three victims were present. Johnson’s witnesses included relatives and his lawyer. No relatives spoke after the execution.

Corrections spokeswoman Karen Pojmann said 59 demonstrators gathered on the edge of the prison grounds.

It was the first execution in Missouri since May 2020 and just the seventh in the U.S. this year.

The state moved ahead with executing Johnson despite claims by his attorney that doing so would violate the 8th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, which prohibits executing intellectually disabled people.

Johnson had a history of scoring extremely low on IQ tests, dating back to childhood. His attorney, Jeremy Weis, said Johnson also was born with fetal alcohol syndrome and lost about one-fifth of his brain tissue when a benign tumor was removed in 2008.

A representative for Pope Francis was among those who urged Republican Gov. Mike Parson to grant clemency, telling Parson in a letter that the pope “wishes to place before you the simple fact of Mr. Johnson’s humanity and the sacredness of all human life.” Parson announced Monday that he would not intervene.

It wasn’t the first time a pope has sought to intervene in a Missouri execution. In 1999, during his visit to St. Louis, Pope John Paul II persuaded Democratic Gov. Mel Carnahan to grant clemency to Darrell Mease, weeks before Mease was to be put to death for a triple killing. Carnahan, who died in 2000, was a Baptist, as is Parson.

In 2018, Pope Francis changed church teaching to say capital punishment can never be sanctioned because it constitutes an “attack” on human dignity. Catholic leaders have been outspoken opponents of the death penalty in many states.

Racial justice activists and two Missouri members of congress — Democratic U.S. Reps. Cori Bush of St. Louis and Emmanuel Cleaver of Kansas City —also called on Parson to show mercy to Johnson, who is Black.

But Parson announced Monday he would not grant clemency, and the courts declined to intervene.

Johnson’s crime shook the central Missouri city of Columbia nearly 28 years ago.

Johnson was a frequent customer of a Casey’s General Store. Court records show that on Feb. 12, 1994, he borrowed a .25-caliber pistol from his girlfriend’s 18-year-old son, with plans to rob the store for money to buy drugs.

In a 2004 videotaped interview with a psychologist shown in court, Johnson said he was under the influence of cocaine as he waited for the last customer to leave at closing time. Three workers were in the store: manager Mary Bratcher, 46, and employees Mabel Scruggs, 57, and Fred Jones, 58.

On the video, Johnson said he became angry when Bratcher, who claimed not to have a safe key, tried to flush it down the toilet. He shot the victims with the borrowed gun, then attacked them with a claw hammer. Bratcher also was stabbed in the hand with a screwdriver. Police found two victims in the store’s bathroom, and the third in a cooler.

“This was a hideous crime,” said Kevin Crane, the Boone County prosecutor at the time. “It was traumatic, and it was intense.”

Police officers searching a nearby field found a bloody screwdriver, gloves, jeans and a brown jacket, and questioned Johnson within hours of the killings. At Johnson’s girlfriend’s house, officers found a bag with $443, coin wrappers, partially burned checks and tennis shoes matching bloody shoe prints from inside the store.

Johnson had previously asked that his execution be carried out by firing squad. His lawyers argued that Missouri’s lethal injection drug, pentobarbital, could trigger seizures due to the loss of the brain tissue when the tumor was removed.

Missouri law does not authorize execution by firing squad.

Johnson was sentenced to death in his first trial and two other times. The second death sentence, in 2003, came after the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that executing the mentally ill was unconstitutionally cruel. The Missouri Supreme Court tossed that second death sentence, and Johnson was sentenced a third time in 2006.

Of the six previous U.S. executions this year, three were in Texas and three involved federal prisoners.

The peak year for modern executions was 1999, when there were 98 across the U.S. That number has gradually declined and just 17 people were executed last year — 10 involving federal prisoners, three in Texas and one each in Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama and Missouri, according to a database compiled by the Death Penalty Information Center.

https://apnews.com/article/us-suprem...5aab20075c6422

Last meal was two double bacon cheeseburgers, onion rings, two large strawberry milkshakes and a large pizza

https://www.komu.com/news/midmissour...8d75e287b.html

Victim's daughter speaks out after Ernest Johnson's execution

COLUMBIA - The daughter to Mary Bratcher, one of Ernest Johnson's victims in the 1994 robbery, posted to Facebook in response to Tuesday's execution.

"I wish someone would have warned us that we would be here, 27 years, 7 months, and 22 days later, waiting for justice," Carley Schaffer wrote in her post. Schaffer was not ready to speak but gave KOMU 8 permission to use her post.

Bratcher was one of three people killed by Johnson in Casey’s General Store in Columbia on Feb. 12, 1994. Bratcher, Fred Jones Jr. and Mable Scruggs were all employees of Casey's. Johnson attacked the three and hid their bodies in a cooler.

Schaffer went into detail about remembering her mother's life and even remembered words that her mother told her to live by: "You just never know what that person is going through."

It seems that Schaffer has lived up to her mother's words as she wrote in her post.

"I feel for Ernest's family. Their trauma will only worsen, and I feel profoundly sad knowing this. They are victims, too."

According to the Columbia Missourian, Schaffer and her siblings traveled to state prison in Bonne Terre for Tuesday's execution.

“The only peace I’m going to get is to stop having to wait for the next step in the legal process,” Schaffer told the Missourian. “It’s not bringing my mom back. I’ve known that since the first sentence. It doesn’t change my reality. It doesn’t change that I’m going to grieve for her for the rest of my life.”

https://www.komu.com/news/midmissour...59d2d43cd.html

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information