Thread: Allen Richard Holman - North Carolina

Allen Richard Holman - North Carolina

Summary of Offense:

Allen Richard Holman was indicted on August 19, 1997 for the first-degree murder of his wife, Linda J. Holman. On March 17, 1998, prior to jury selection, defendant entered a plea of guilty to first-degree murder on the basis of premeditation and deliberation. A jury was empaneled to hear evidence and recommend a sentence to the trial court. At the conclusion of the capital sentencing proceeding, the jury recommended a sentence of death for the murder; and the trial court entered judgment accordingly.

March 8, 2007

Death Row Inmate Unhappy About Delayed Execution

Raleigh, N.C. — Convicted killer Allen Holman, who sits on death row at Raleigh's Central Prison, says he is ready to die.

This week, family members traveled from Maryland to say goodbye to the 47-year-old, convicted of first-degree murder in April 1998 of shooting his wife, Linda Holman, in front of a police officer in Apex.

A year ago, Holman even fired his attorneys in an effort to move forward with the execution, which was scheduled for 2 a.m. Friday. But now, his death sentence is on hold.

"I want closure for the victim's family," Holman said Thursday. "I want closure for my family. I want closure for myself."

On Tuesday, a judge delayed the execution because the state Department of Correction could not find a physician willing to attend the execution. The reason: a North Carolina Medical Board policy adopted in January that declares it unethical for a physician to participate in executions.

But Holman doesn't believe a doctor needs to be present.

"I'm not saying I want a correctional officer sticking a needle in my arm or anything, no, but I don't see where it would necessarily have to be a doctor there," he said.

Under state law though, a physician is required to be present at all executions to ensure that the condemned inmate does not suffer.

Four other scheduled executions were delayed earlier this year when a Wake County judge ruled that the medical board's policy conflicted with state law. State officials subsequently ordered a new protocol that increased a doctor's role.

Holman, who said he lost faith in the justice system long ago, said he is frustrated by the dispute and thinks he should be allowed to die.

"It's illogical, it's irrational to me," he said, citing examples of abortion and doctor-assisted suicide.

Wake County Assistant District Attorney Susan Spurlin, who prosecuted the case, says the wait for Holman's execution has also taken an emotional toll on the victim's daughter, Deborah Hartless.

"This has been very difficult for her, because she thought it was going to come to a close -- and it's not," Spurlin said.

Holman said the waiting is frustrating and that he believes the longer he waits for the death penalty dispute to be resolved, the greater the chances will be "to get rid of the death penalty."

"I feel competent enough, I feel I'm being rational, rational and logical about it," Holman said. "I think it should be carried out."

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1227924/

On November 21, 2005, Holman filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/nor...hc00780/80774/

Inmate on North Carolina’s death row has died, but not the way he wanted to

BY RICHARD STRADLING
    The News-Observer

An inmate on North Carolina’s death row who once pleaded with prison officials to carry out his sentence has died of natural causes. Allen R. Holman, who was convicted of killing his wife in front of an Apex police officer, died Wednesday afternoon at a medical center outside Central Prison, according to the state Department of Adult Correction. Holman was 64. Holman and his wife Linda were living in Morrisville in the summer of 1997 when she called 911 from N.C. 55, saying her husband was ramming her car and trying to kill her. Linda Holman, a nurse at Central Prison, turned into a convenience store parking lot at Olive Chapel Road, where an Apex police officer was parked. The officer pursued Allen Holman, who circled back around to the store and shot his wife. Holman then went to the couple’s home, where he held police off with gunfire before shooting himself in the stomach. Holman pleaded guilty to murder in 1998. At his sentencing hearing in April 1998 he told the judge that he would rather be executed than spend the rest of his life in prison. “I’m going to die as a piece of state property either way,” he said. “There’s only a little bit of difference as to the time of death.” A Wake County jury obliged, sentencing Holman to death.

After mandatory appeals, Holman was scheduled to be executed in March 2007. But by then, a series of lawsuits filed in state courts questioning the fairness and humanity of capital punishment had created a de facto moratorium on executions. The state has not executed anyone since Samuel R. Flippen was killed by lethal injection in August 2006 for first-degree murder in Forsyth County. Since then, several inmates on death row, like Holman, have died of something other than execution. There remain 136 people on North Carolina’s death row, including two women, according to the N.C. Department of Public Safety.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/lo...274509656.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread Information