Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Strong - Missouri Execution - June 9, 2015

A quick check on Wikipedia, which everyone with the Internet has access to, reveals that the Missouri Supreme Court is split 3-3 between Democratic and Republican appointees. Until the recent retirement of a judge, it had been 4-3 Democratic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missour...Current_Judges

Apparently, only the Missouri Supreme Court can set execution dates, not the Governor.

Indeed, the legislature does appear to be overwhelmingly Republican and the Governor is a strongly pro-DP Democrat. You should write to your local legislators and find out what in tarnation's going on.

On December 12, 2013, Strong's death sentence was affirmed by the Eighth Circuit.

http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal...12319375/0.pdf

On February 13, 2014, the US Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit DENIED Strong's petition for rehearing en banc.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/14-5059.htm

In today's orders, the US Supreme Court DENIED Strong's certiorari petition.

Appeals exhausted. Ruling could result in an execution date next year.

Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
    Case Nos.: (11-3046)
    Decision Date: December 12, 2013
    Rehearing Denied: February 13, 2014

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es\14-5059.htm

Man who killed girlfriend, her daughter gets execution date

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — The Missouri Supreme Court has set a June execution date for a man convicted of fatally stabbing his girlfriend and her 2-year-old daughter in 2000.

The court on Thursday ordered 48-year-old Richard Strong to be executed June 9 for the deaths of Eva Washington and her daughter, Zandrea Thomas.

The victims were found dead Oct. 23, 2000, in Washington's apartment in the St. Louis suburb of St. Ann. A large butcher knife and the uninjured 3-month-old daughter of Washington and Strong were sitting on a bed next to a pool of blood.

Strong was convicted of first-degree murder in May 2003 and sentenced to death. The state Supreme Court affirmed the conviction and sentence in August 2004.

http://www.maryvilledailyforum.com/n...215770b78.html

Jun 1 2015 Petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis filed

http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.a...s/14-10020.htm

Jun 1 2015 Application (14A1221) for a stay of execution of sentence of death, submitted to Justice Alito

http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.a...es/14a1221.htm

14-year-old daughter of victim and killer seeks clemency

Alyshia Strong was effectively left an orphan 14 years ago when her father killed her mother and half-sister during a violent argument in a St. Louis County apartment. Still, the girl is urging Gov. Jay Nixon to spare his life.

Richard Strong, 48, is scheduled to be executed at 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Eva Washington and her 2-year-old daughter from a previous relationship, Zandrea Thomas, were found stabbed to death on Oct. 23, 2000, in her apartment in St. Ann. A large butcher knife was on a bed next to a pool of blood. Alyshia, then just 3 months old, also was on the bed but unharmed.

Alyshia, now 14, said in an interview with The Associated Press on Monday that she has forgiven her father. They visit frequently at the prison in Potosi. She said her father plays an important role in counseling her.

"He's always been with me," she said. "He's the only surviving parent I have, and I struggle in life. To see my father live would help me."

Scott Holste, a spokesman for Nixon, said the clemency petition is under review.

Strong's attorney, Jennifer Herndon, also has filed appeals to the U.S. Supreme Court — one on a procedural matter, the other claiming that Strong shouldn't be executed because he suffers from severe depression.

Strong is remorseful for the crime, Herndon said. She said that both he and Washington suffered from mental illness and frequently argued.

"It wasn't a healthy relationship," Herndon said. "He just snapped."

Alyshia Strong went to live with Strong's mother after the killings, a woman Alyshia now refers to as "Mama," the clemency petition said.

Alyshia said in the petition that she is asking the governor to spare her father because she thinks "it is wrong for me to have another loss. I understand that my father needs to face consequences and to pay for what he did, but I do not think it is right for me to lose my father as part of the punishment."

She recalled in the petition when she told Strong about a fight she was involved in. He was disappointed to learn of the fight and "also told me that he thought I could find other ways of dealing with my problems — ways that did not include fighting," Alyshia wrote.

"My father told me that I should stay clear of the drama at school, and stay focused on the books, not the people. I listened to my father's advice, and I can honestly say that I had less drama in my school year than I would have if I had not listened to my father."

The execution would be the fourth in Missouri this year. Only Texas, with eight, has had more. Missouri and Texas tied for the most executions in the U.S. last year with 10 each.

http://www.godanriver.com/news/natio...0abfb0c2b.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Appeals of Missouri man facing execution all before U.S. Supreme Court

It is now up to the U.S. Supreme Court and Governor Jay Nixon (D) whether Missouri will carry out the execution of Richard Strong tomorrow.

Three arguments have been presented to the Supreme Court.

One is that the lethal injection poses a risk of pain and suffering that would violate his rights under the Constitution; another is that he has a serious mental illness that renders him incompetent to be executed. Neither of those, when raised, have been successful in blocking the past 15 executions in Missouri.

The other argument is that the jury that sentenced Strong to death was given improper instructions.

Governor Nixon has not decided whether he will grant clemency to Strong, as his daughters and mother have requested. Nixon has only once granted clemency in a death penalty case, and has never stated his reasoning in that instance.

Barring an outcome that favors Strong in any of those efforts, Missouri will execute Strong sometime tomorrow night or Wednesday for the murders in 2000 of his girlfriend Eva Washington and her two-year-old daughter, Zandrea Thomas.

http://www.missourinet.com/2015/06/0...supreme-court/

Gov. Jay Nixon is doing a fantastic job on emptying Missouri's death row at a pace. Almost certainly he would deny clemency plus Justice Alito is favourable in denying a stay of execution.

PETITION for a Commutation of, or Reprieve From, Sentence of Death With Supporting Declarations and Documents

Alyshia Strong makes impassioned plea for her mother’s killer to be pardoned

WHEN Alyshia Strong was a baby, her father did something unforgivable — he murdered her mother and her two-year-old sister.

Time, it appears, healed some of Alyshia’s wounds.

Richard Strong, 48, is languishing on death row in Missouri for the 2003 murders of his girlfriend Eva Washington and her 2-year-old daughter Zandrea Thomas.

He is scheduled to be executed tomorrow. But coming to his rescue is none other than the young girl whose mother and sister he so violently took away.

Alyshia, now 14, wrote a letter to the governor of Missouri asking for Strong to be pardoned. In her petition for Strong’s commutation, she wrote: “I understand that my father needs to face consequences and to pay for what he did, but I do not think it is right for me to lose my father as part of the punishment”.

Strong’s crime was brutal. He used a large butcher knife to stab the pair to death. His motivation remains unclear but he later admitted he and Washington’s relationship was “volatile”. He said he didn’t mean to hurt her.

But Alyshia has forgiven him. In fact, in written letters attached to her petition, Alyshia refers to her father as her “favourite person” and declares “I would give my life for you”.

“I love you dad and don’t forget that. I would walk so many miles just to see you.”

She said her father had helped her stay clear of drama at school and stay focused on her books. Despite everything, he had become a role model for her.

“I listened to my father’s advice, and I can honestly say that I had less drama in my school year than I would have if I had not listened to my father.”

In an interview with The Associated Press, Alyshia said she would “struggle” without him.

“He’s always been with me,” she said. “He’s the only surviving parent I have, and I struggle in life. To see my father live would help me.”

Richard Strong is scheduled to be executed at 6pm local time on Tuesday.

http://www.news.com.au/world/north-a...-1227390254824

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information