Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marcellus Scott Williams - Missouri Death Row

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Williams' petition for writ of certiorari was DENIED.

Ruling could result in an execution date issued.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

dawnette
    tjek.jpg
    8xsm.jpg

I knew Felicia "Lisha" Gayle personally. She was a very big hearted and caring woman. I scanned her picture from the 1973 Guilford High School yearbook that I found, when she was a sophomore, so that she could be present with us again in a certain sense. Out of sight and out of mind would be killing her again.

Lisha was a neighbor and a dear friend to our family in Rockford, Illinois where we all grew up.
    I know that her parents are devout Catholics and they oppose the death penalty because the pope opposes it. I must dissent. The Bible says we must be the salt of the earth and deter evil or we are useless. The predator should die and serve as a deterring example to potential murderers at large.

My oldest sister was much closer to Lisha and she told me that the predator was only arrested after the Gayle family offered a reward in excess of $10,000. Then both the girl friend of the predator and his best friend came forward and gave the incriminating testimony that led to the arrest in order to get the reward. The predator had bragged that he just wanted to know what it felt like to murder someone. He could have slipped away with the stolen goods, but he (it) waited because of the lust to murder.

It saddens me that this thread is named after the murderer. If the murderer becomes the name and face to remember after all is said and done then evil has triumphed. Murdering someone should never make the the murderer significant. I would replace the murder's legal name in this thread title with that of "Lisha Gayle's murderer".

True Lisha's legal name was Felicia, but she preferred to be called Lisha. May she rest in peace! She was on earth and is in heaven a beautiful person.

Dawnette, welcome to the site. Thank you for your post and sharing Felicia Gayle's photo.

dawnette

Here's a picture of Lisha Gayle (bottom right) that I scanned from 1973 Guilford yearbook. She's was a member of the AFS at Guilford High School which help coordinate programs for people studying in foreign countries.

She was in so many extracurricular groups that she must have really shortened her free time. But then Lisha was/is a very caring and giving person and that was her nature.

She actually called me up when she heard I was in Rockford and tried to talk me into going to the Guilford High School reunion. I was already married and decided against it, but I was touched by the invitation. That was the last time I ever heard from her. I will always treasure her memory.
    Last edited by dawnette; 03-22-2014 at 09:53 AM.

Execution Set for ’98 St. Louis County Murder

ST. LOUIS (AP) - An execution date of Jan. 28 has been set for a man who fatally stabbed a St. Louis County woman during a 1998 burglary.

The Missouri Supreme Court on Wednesday set the execution date for 45-year-old Marcellus Williams. It would be Missouri’s first execution in 2015, after a state record 10 inmates were put to death this year.

Lisha Gayle was killed at her home in University City. Williams was burglarizing the home when he discovered that Gayle was in the shower. He took a knife from the kitchen and attacked her when she came downstairs, stabbing her more than 20 times before stealing a laptop computer and other items.

Gayle was a reporter for the St. Louis Post-Dispatch for 11 years before leaving the paper in 1992.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2014/12/...county-murder/

Great! Another one gonna get a dirtnap for such a senseless crime. Missouri is stepping it up and saying they're not going tolerate this. Kudos to Missouri!

Junior Member Stranger
    This person definitely deserves to die for what he did.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Stro07's Avatar

Editorial

St. Louis County prosecutor must test DNA evidence before Missouri execution

Marcellus Williams was convicted and sentenced to death for a horrible crime, the 1998 murder of 42-year-old Felicia Gayle, a former St. Louis Post-Dispatch reporter and wife of a physician, during a robbery of her home.

But no physical evidence connected Williams to the crime scene in University City, near St. Louis. He was found guilty on the testimony of a drug-addicted former girlfriend and a jailhouse snitch, a career criminal with a history of mental illness, who came forth with their account almost a year after the crime was committed.

On Dec. 17, the Missouri Supreme Court announced an execution date of Jan. 28 for Williams.

His attorney, Kent Gipson of Kansas City, is now racing against the clock to get the St. Louis County prosecutor to conduct a DNA analysis and database search on physical evidence found at the crime scene that could not be matched to Williams, Gayle or her husband.

Gipson believes a match may exonerate his client. If there is the remotest possibility that may be the case, then St. Louis County prosecutor Robert McCullough must do the testing.

The evidence included head hairs found on the victim’s shirt and the rug where her body was found, two pubic hairs found on the rug and blood and skin scrapings found underneath Gayle’s fingernails.

Williams’ defense at his original trial sought a continuance to have the evidence tested for DNA matches but was denied by the trial judge. Lawyers have made repeated requests for testing in post-conviction appeals, to no avail.

Gipson last month mailed a request directly to McCullough. McCullough, who was prosecutor at the time of Williams’ trial, has not responded.

McCullough has been in the news for his controversial handling of the grand jury that recommended Ferguson police Officer Darren Wilson face no charges in the shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown. With the Williams case, McCullough has an opportunity to demonstrate his commitment to justice and fairness.

Williams, 45, has a long criminal record. But the state of Missouri must not execute someone if there is a shred of doubt about his role in a capital crime. If McCullough won’t voluntarily test the crime scene evidence, a state or federal court must order him to do so.

http://www.kansascity.com/opinion/ed...#storylink=cpy

Judge rejects DNA test sought by inmate nearing execution

ST. LOUIS - A federal judge rejected a request for DNA testing by a 46-year-old inmate facing an execution in late January for the fatal stabbing of a woman from St. Louis County during a burglary in 1998.

Marcellus Williams' request was deemed "frivolous" in a ruling two days after he filed the challenge. The decision is under appeal, as is a related request in state court.

Williams is scheduled to die on Jan. 29 in Missouri's first execution of the new year after 10 inmates were put to death in 2014.

Lisha Gayle, a former Post-Dispatch reporter, was killed at her home in University City. Williams was convicted of burglarizing the home and then killing Gayle after she discovered him while getting out of the shower.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/judge-...48998_30762516

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information