Thread: Paul Michael McManus - Indiana

Paul Michael McManus - Indiana

Paul Michael McManus

Facts of the Crime:

In May 2002, a jury found Paul McManus guilty of murdering his wife, Melissa, 29, and their two daughters, Lindsey, 8, and Shelby, 23 months, on February 26, 2001 and recommended a death sentence.

On November 19, 2007, McManus filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/ind...cv01483/16400/

On March 31, 2011, McManus' habeas petition was DENIED in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/ind...cv01483/16400/

On April 25, 2012, McManus filed an appeal before the US Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir...s/ca7/12-2001/

McManus's conviction was overturned today in a 7th Circuit opinion.

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bi...:N:1502791:S:0

McManus' Attorney: 'Right Decision' to Overrule Death Penalty Conviction

Thirteen years on death row could end without execution for an Evansville man.

Paul McManus was convicted of killing his wife and two kids in 2001, but now a federal appeals court overturns his conviction and sentence.

He could walk free because of his mental state at trial 13 years ago. His defense attorney, Genn Grampp clearly remembers his demeanor, feeling McManus was incapable of standing trial. He says Wednesday's ruling justifies what he says should have happened in the first place.

February 26th, 2001, a toddler, eight-year-old and their mother are murdered in a neighborhood north of Evansville.

After the murder, he drove to the twin bridges and jumped from the top in a suicide attempt, but he was pulled from the frigid February waters and went on trial a year later, facing the death penalty.

Grampp says, “there wasn't any question that he did it,” but he believes he didn't deserve to be executed.

“He became a mess during that trial, and he really did not know what was going on,” says Grampp. “He had a panic attack after we selected the jury, and during the first day of evidence, he had a panic attack.”

Grampp remembers McManus being taken out of the courtroom on a stretcher, he “went to the hospital a couple times; they changed his medication unbeknownst to us.”

Despite repeated requests for a mistrial, Grampp says the judge continued and McManus was convicted and sentenced to death.

A decision Grampp feels was wrong. “There was no question in my mind that he was impaired to the point he could not assist his council, could not make decisions.”

It's because of that, what Grampp says was a drug-induced stupor, A U.S. Court of Appeals overturned the 13 year-old decision Wednesday.

Vanderburgh County Prosecuting Attorney, Nick Hermann, didn't try the case in 2001, but he reacts today in “a little bit of a surprise, just that it came out and what it was, but you know, its part of the business.”

Grampp believe justice is now being served. “It might not make a lot of people happy, but its the right decision taking the facts into account,” he says.

But McManus isn't a free man just yet. There will be appeals, and potentially a new trial in Vanderburgh Co. “There was a lot of strong evidence in it,” says Hermann, “We wouldn't hesitate in the slightest to try it again if it came to that.”

A plea agreement is also a possible outcome, but the prosecution says it needs time to review.

“It's going to be a matter of getting the case and talking to all the parties involved, and determine where we are and how to move forward from there,” adds Hermann.

The Indiana Attorney General's office is now reviewing the ruling and will decide in the next 15 days whether to appeal to the U.S Supreme Court.

http://www.tristatehomepage.com/stor...vUCxmtmex3hufA

Death Row 2018 with Sir Trevor McDonald

Five years since Sir Trevor McDonald first visited Indiana State Prison, the news veteran is back. He talks to Georgia Humphreys about his experiences and the changing world of journalism

After interviewing Saddam Hussein, entering the secret world of the Mafia and reporting from war zones, you'd think nothing would shock Sir Trevor McDonald any more. And yet, upon returning to Indiana State Prison's death row for his latest documentary, that was far from the case.

"I found the place more awful this time," he says sadly, before explaining: "The prison was on lockdown, for five weeks. The concomitant of all that is the place is very grubby, and dirty and they're shouting and screaming because they don't want to be locked in for 24 hours a day. I did leave there desperately needing a drink," he admits, perhaps in an attempt to lighten the mood slightly.

It's five years since the news veteran first visited the maximum-security facility, one of America's most dangerous. The follow-up, ITV's Death Row 2018 With Trevor McDonald, sees him talk to both new arrivals at the prison, and some familiar faces.

"I couldn't get these people quite out of my mind," the former newsreader confesses quietly, when asked why he wanted to go back. "I think this is probably my last visit. They're getting on, and I'm getting on, and another five years, a lot of them wouldn't be there."

The programme shows how the future of the death penalty in the state of Indiana remains uncertain. While there have been no executions at the prison since Sir Trevor last visited, he arrives to find a new death chamber has been built. But the Europeans have stopped supplying the "killer drugs" needed for the executions - and so the prisoners are just left awaiting their fate.

It's clear how much meeting these men has had an impact on Sir Trevor, especially as he discusses the plight of one inmate, Paul McManus, at great length. Once sentenced to death for killing his wife and children, Paul has now been given life without parole, and so must spend the rest of his life inside.

"Before, although he didn't particularly want to die, he knew that he would, at some stage," remarks Sir Trevor. "So, adjusting his mind to that difference was becoming a great psychological problem for him. We talked on a nice sunny day, and you could see the barbed-wire fences all around, and he was looking and thinking, 'Is this where I'm going to spend the rest of my life?' And he's not 50 yet. That's a new kind of storyline for us really, and a new take on the last adventure."

While all the inmates' stories are undeniably shocking, William Gibson is a particularly memorable face featured in the hour-long documentary. Convicted of killing and mutilating three women, he had never spoken publicly about his crimes before. During his interview, he gloated that there might yet be more victims to be found. How did Sir Trevor feel listening to him talk so candidly?

"I mean, dirty," he muses. "Somebody boasting about killing people like that and saying, 'I may have killed even more', it's out of my mental range. I think shame is a very important part of the human condition; you must be ashamed, you must regret, you must have remorse. One or two o'clock in the morning, when he's lying in his cell, what does he think?"

It seems there's a real hunger for programmes about crimes and prisons, particularly American ones, in the UK.

Asked why, Sir Trevor, who has three grown-up children and lives with his wife in London, says: "There is, in all our lives, a normality to which we all aspire. A civilised, dignified kind of life where you get up and go to work and you make money, you go home, you see your kids. Some of these people are just off the scale, and I think we get fascinated by the lives of these people. And we keep trying to find out why, why, why do they do this?"

The affable Sir Trevor has never shied away from asking difficult questions, having conducted some of the highest profile television interviews of all time - including Nelson Mandela days after his release from prison.

His iconic career, which started in the West Indies, before moving to the UK in 1969, has spanned over 50 years - he became ITN's first black reporter in 1973 and later, was made the first sole reporter of News At Ten.

On the topic of the ever-changing world of journalism, the award-winning broadcaster says: "I would be a little bit more bold about fake news. Sometimes fake news is something which is said about somebody which they don't like, and so they call it fake news. We used to call it propaganda or misinformation in my day."

But, having stepped down from News At Ten in 2008, he admits the issues his colleagues have to deal with are a little more complex these days.

"And the other thing is, I wouldn't go to Syria," he adds. "I was in the Middle East, and I went to Beirut. I would not go to Aleppo today. I don't know whether that's because I've got older, and, I hope, a little wiser. I think it's become much, much more dangerous and I admire the courage of people who do that now."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/cul..._to_death_row/

Thread Information