Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alva Earl Campbell, Jr. - Ohio

Alva Earl Campbell, Jr. - Ohio

Summary of Offense:

On April 2, 1997, Campbell murdered 18-year-old Charles Dials at K-Mart on South High Street. Campbell, who was feigning paralysis and was in a wheelchair, assaulted a deputy sheriff as she transported him to court on an aggravated robbery charge. Campbell stole the deputy sheriff's gun, fled and then car-jacked Mr. Dials. He stole Mr. Dials' wallet and shot him after driving around with him for at least two hours. When Campbell heard a radio report on his escape, he carjacked his next victim, who escaped leaving Campbell with her wallet and car keys. Campbell surrendered after a pursuit by police and later gave a video-taped confession.

On April 20, 2009, Campbell filed an appeal in the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit over the denial of his habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cir...s/ca6/09-3444/

ALVA E. CAMPBELL v MARGARET BRADSHAW WARDEN

In today's Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals opinions, the court AFFIRMED the district court's DENIAL of Campbell's petition for habeas relief.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Campbell's petition for writ of certiorari was DENIED.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/12-5374.htm

The Ohio Supreme Court today set a July 15, 2015 execution date for Alva E. Campbell Jr. who killed an 18-year-old Columbus man during a 1997 escape on the way to a court appearance.

Brother laments long wait for killer’s execution

He went to the courthouse to pay a traffic ticket. A simple thing, really — $95 for a burned-out headlight on his red 1992 Chevy S-10 pickup truck.

But Charles D. Dials, 18, who quit high school to get a job to support his mother, brother and sister, was the classic case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. On April 2, 1997, Dials was pulling out of a parking space on Fulton Street when Alva E. Campbell Jr. charged out of the back of the Franklin County Courthouse, armed with a 9 mm handgun he had taken from a deputy he had overpowered.

Campbell carjacked Dials and forced him to drive around for three hours before he pulled into a South Side parking lot. Minutes later, Dials was dead on the floor of his truck, two bullets in the back of his head.

Yesterday, the Ohio Supreme Court set a July 15, 2015, execution date for Campbell.

But neither Joe Dials, the victim’s younger brother, nor Franklin County Prosecutor Ron O’Brien is satisfied with waiting that long.

“We wish it would have gone through a lot sooner so the family could have been done with this,” Dials said.

He wants to be a witness at Campbell’s execution.

“I hate to say I’d want to watch a man die, but I have to do it.”

O’Brien recalled yesterday describing Campbell as “the poster child for the death penalty” at his trial. “I said that 15 years ago, and I still believe it.”

O’Brien is upset that the execution date is so far in the future.

“I don’t understand why it takes more than two years to carry it out. I’ve talked to the governor’s office and DRC (the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction) about it and have not gotten a satisfactory answer from anybody.”

Ohio Supreme Court spokesman Chris Davey said he could not discuss Campbell’s case, but, “There are a variety of factors that go into determining execution dates, which are set in consultation with the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction. DRC has asked that the court set execution days at least 60 days apart.”

Campbell’s daring escape while on the way to a court appearance, the brief manhunt leading to his arrest, and the subsequent trial received widespread media attention. He previously had served 20 years in prison for murdering a Cleveland bartender.

Dials’ family received a $1.3 million settlement from Franklin County to avert prolonged litigation.

This time of year is particularly hard for his family, Dials said.

He remembered that his brother, who was just two years older, quit Groveport High School and went to work at a warehouse to help support him, his sister, Kayela, and his mother, Arlena Hughes. The children’s father had abandoned the family years earlier.

“He was pretty much the father figure,” said Dials, now 32. “He was an awesome big brother, the go-to guy. Every-body loved him. It was a devastating blow to our family, losing him. It was nothing I would wish on my worst enemy.”

In a taped confession played at his trial, Campbell talked about driving around with Dials and listening to news on the radio about his escape.

“I lied to him. I told him I wasn’t going to hurt him,” Campbell said. “The kid had a whole life in front of him, and he told me his mom and dad were divorced. Now, his mom is without a son.”

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...execution.html

That's interesting. So, it appears that the DRC is responsible for requesting execution dates at least 60 days apart, which has mysteriously morphed from an earlier request to have them at least three weeks apart. In any case, the legislature, and perhaps the governor, are free to force the DRC to deal with executions more frequently whether the DRC likes it or not.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    I've emailed the Supreme Court clerk why they're doing this and Bob Hagan the Senator for my district encouraging him to sponsor a bill to allow the Common Pleas judge to set the date upon request from the county DA. Haven't gotten a response from either not too surprisingly, this is really starting to bother me though. But I don't understand why the department of corrections must have them set 60 days apart. That is wasting our tax money and I'm sure they would prefer to empty death row as quick as possible not to mention they've done it before.

Please let us know if you hear back from Hagan.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    I will but I won't hold my breath. One other thing worth mentioning is Ohio's supply of Pentobarbital expires at the end of September. Had a date been set once a month this year like in 2010/11, we could have wiped out half of the list of currently scheduled executions in 2013 alone. The DRC would not be in such a panic to find a substitute like they are now.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information