Thread: John Grant Gillard - Ohio

John Grant Gillard - Ohio

Summary of Offense:

On November 1, 1985, Gillard murdered 22-year-old Denise Maxwell and 26-year-old Leroy Ensign and attempted to murder Ronnie Postlethwaite at a house party in Northwest Canton. Gillard's brother and Mr. Ensign had gotten into a fight earlier at the party. Gillard returned to the party with his brother and shot the victims, killing Ms. Maxwell and Mr. Ensign and seriously wounding Mr. Postlethwaite. Gillard admitted to his friends that he was the triggerman.

No. 06-747 *** CAPITAL CASE ***
    Title:
    John Gillard, Petitioner
    v.
    Betty Mitchell, Warden
    Docketed: November 29, 2006
    Lower Ct: United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
    Case Nos.: (03-4261, 03-4322)
    Decision Date: April 26, 2006
    Rehearing Denied: August 31, 2006

~~~Date~~~ ~~~~~~~Proceedings and Orders~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Nov 22 2006 Petition for a writ of certiorari filed. (Response due December 29, 2006)
    Dec 20 2006 Order extending time to file response to petition to and including January 29, 2007.
    Jan 29 2007 Brief of respondent Betty Mitchell, Warden in opposition filed.
    Feb 5 2007 Reply of petitioner John Gillard filed.
    Feb 14 2007 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of March 2, 2007.
    Mar 5 2007 Petition DENIED.
    Mar 29 2007 Petition for Rehearing filed.
    Apr 4 2007 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of April 20, 2007.
    Apr 23 2007 Rehearing DENIED.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...les/06-747.htm

Member Newbie
    What's his argument? He confessed and witnesses identified him as the shooter. Now is he saying his brother was the triggerman?

Convicted killer John Gillard dies in prison; Canton man on death row since 1985

A convicted killer from Stark County has died in prison after more than 36 years on Ohio's death row.

John Grant Gillard had been incarcerated since 1985, most recently at the Chillicothe Correctional Institute.

An Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokesperson on Wednesday confirmed Gillard's death but provided no other information or details.

Gillard, who would have turned 78 on Saturday, was convicted in 1985 of fatally shooting two people and trying to kill a third at a Canton house party on New Year's Eve.

The state's last execution was July 18, 2018, under then-Gov. John Kasich, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

According to the Attorney General Office's 2021 capital crimes annual report, there has been no meaningful legal activity on Gillard's case since 2016.

Gillard was not listed on the state's 2023-2026 execution schedules.

New Year's Eve party turns deadly in 1985

According to court appeals filed in the case:

On Dec. 31, 1984, there was a New Year's Eve party at a home on Kennet Court NW in Canton. Among the guests were Ronnie Postlethwaite, Denise Maxwell, Leroy Ensign, and Gillard's brother. During the party, there was a fight between Ensign and Gillard's brother and the brother left.

John Gillard was convicted of going to the house hours later and killing Ensign and Maxwell and wounding Postlethwaite.

A police officer who arrived at the scene asked Postlethwaite who had shot him. Postlethwaite said, "Dirty John.... Dirty John Gillard."

Gillard was later arrested in West Virginia, where witnesses told police he had his hair cut and was calling himself "Butch Johnson."

He was convicted in Stark County Common Pleas Court of aggravated murder, attempted murder and other charges and sentenced to death.

(source: cantonrep.com)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Appeals exhausted since 2007 and they allow him to die of natural causes 15 years later. Ridiculous.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information