Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Danny Lee Hill - Ohio Execution - July 22, 2026

johncocacola called it. The Sixth Circuit, on remand from SCOTUS, once again ruled that Hill is incompetent to be executed. The panel was made up of Senior Judge Merritt (Carter), and Judges Moore (Clinton), and Clay (Clinton).

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...020-05-20.html
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Karen Moore is the Stephen Reinhardt of the 6th Circuit.

Given the high reversal rate of the 6th Circuit, and the extremely liberal composition of this panel, how likely is it that SCOTUS slaps them again?
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

I’m cautiously optimistic. Ripe claims for SCOTUS to take is usually when federal courts fail to apply AEDPA properly.

AG asks for full court re-hearing of Danny Lee Hill case

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost is asking U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals for a full court re-hearing of Danny Lee Hill’s death penalty case.

Hill was sentenced to death for the rape and murder of 12-year-old Raymond Fife in 1985.

The federal Sixth Circuit earlier this month again ruled that Ohio can’t execute Hill, who has maintained that he is intellectually disabled.

A 3-judge panel of the Sixth U.S. Circuit Court of Appeal last week ruled that executing Hill would be unconstitutional under a 2002 U.S. Supreme Court ruling. That opinion recounted the multiple records demonstrating Hill’s mental struggles, including with even basic daily responsibilities.

The Sixth Circuit also ruled in February 2018 that Hill shouldn’t be executed.

After the state appealed, the U.S. Supreme Court agreed that the Sixth Circuit should reconsider the case because it had relied extensively on a case decided long after Hill was sentenced to death.

The attorney general’s office now claimed the 3-judge panel erred and that the full court should re-hear the matter.

In a document filed Thursday, Yost’s staff argues that the panel “did exactly what the Supreme Court told it not to do: rather than relying on legal rules that were clearly established” by Supreme Court decisions “at the relevant time,” the panel awarded relief based on principles supposedly established by state-court decisions — “principles that relevant Supreme Court precedent did not establish, clearly or otherwise.”

The AG seeks an “en banc: re-hearing.”

That term means a case is heard before all the judges rather than by 1 judge or a panel of judges selected from them. En banc review often is used for unusually complex cases or cases considered to be of greater importance.

In January, the U.S. Supreme Court decided not to grant Hill a new trial.

“If the state is forced to go to the Supreme Court, it will likely win summary reversal. But there is no way to be sure; the Supreme Court, for many reasons, sometimes fails to act. The stakes are too high to risk inaction,” Yost’s staff argues in the latest filing.

Raymond’s mother, Miriam Fife, 80, said previously she was sure the attorney general’s office would appeal. “I am hoping we can mutually make our point and win this case,” she said.

Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins said last week: “This court just made a bad decision.”

On Thursday, Watkins said he was pleased the state attorneys made the move before he wrote a letter asking them to.

Hill’s co-defendant, Timothy Combs, died in prison at age 50 in 2018 while serving a life sentence. Combs was 17 when he and Hill, who was 18 at the time, stopped Raymond on Sept. 10, 1985, in a wooded area near Palmyra Road SW, as the boy rode his bike to a Boy Scouts meeting. Raymond died 2 days later after he was beaten, sexually tortured, strangled with his underwear, set afire and left for dead. He was barely alive when he was found several hours later by his father and brother-in-law.

Because he was a few months shy of his 18th birthday, Combs was not eligible for the death penalty, as Hill was.

(source: Warren Tribune Chronicle)
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

On July 15, 2020, a majority of the judges on the Sixth Circuit in regular active service voted for rehearing en banc in Hill's case.

https://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opi...0a0215p-06.pdf

Second great piece of news today, my community has waited too long for this.

On December 2, 2020, oral argument over Hill's appeal will be heard by the Sixth Circuit sitting en banc.

https://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/sites/c...302020_arg.pdf

En banc rehearing denied by the Sixth Circuit.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...021-08-20.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Wonderful news out of the sixth circuit. They should finally get the hint about following AEDPA. My community has waited a long time for this case.

Unfortunately none of this matters as long as DeWine is governor.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information