Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Danny Lee Hill - Ohio Execution - July 22, 2026

New execution date set for convicted killer Danny Lee Hill

WARREN, Ohio (WKBN) – A new execution date has been set for convicted killer Danny Lee Hill.

After several delays and appeals, Hill is now set to be executed on Wednesday, July 22, 2026.

Hill has been on Ohio’s Death Row since February 1986 after he was sentenced to death for the 1985 attack, rape and murder of 12-year-old Raymond Fife.

Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins has criticized the slow movement in the case. He has asked the legislature to explore other methods of execution since the state has had trouble obtaining the drugs used in its lethal injection process.

A spokesperson for Ohio Governor Mike DeWine said any change in the execution process would have to be made by lawmakers.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/local-news...anny-lee-hill/
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    If Ohio’s law is even still on the books by then.

Judge to make ruling on Hill claim without oral arguments

By Guy Vogrin
    The Vindicator

WARREN — A visiting judge will not hear oral arguments determining the merits of defense claims that Danny Lee Hill is mentally and intellectually disabled and thus constitutionally prohibited from facing the death penalty.

Instead, Judge Patricia A. Cosgrove, a retired Summit County jurist who was assigned the Hill case, ruled she will consider briefs submitted by both sides before making a decision on Hill’s Eighth Amendment claim for relief by using a 2002 Supreme Court decision in the Atkins vs. Virginia case that prohibits execution of the mentally disabled.

In Cosgrove’s order filed earlier this month, she noted a Nov. 1 Zoom conference was held with counsel to discuss the schedule.

Cosgrove also tackled the issue of state attorneys being opposed to having federal public defenders Laura Riga and Mathew Thomas Gay working on the case.

In her order, Cosgrove writes, “This court agrees with the state that the federal district court order does not impose any mandatory duty on the state court to permit representation of counsel.”

The judge, however, allowed Gay and Riga to file briefs on the merits of Hill’s renewed Atkins claim.

Both parties at the Zoom hearing also agreed that Cosgrove can make a ruling without the necessity of oral arguments “because both sides have filed extensive and well-researched briefs,” the judge wrote.

A court official said she expects Cosgrove to render a decision on Hill’s motion around the first of the year.

Meanwile, the judge also stated she will not consider a friend of the court brief filed on behalf of Miriam Fife, the mother of Hill’s murder victim, Raymond Fife. Miriam Fife had asked the court to dismiss Hill’s claim under the precipes of Marsy’s Law that gives rights to victims of crime in Ohio.

Cosgrove was assigned the Hill case because all Trumbull County judges had cited conflict of interest because Miriam Fife had worked for years as the victim’s advocate in the county courts.

Hill is scheduled to be injected lethally July 22, 2026, after being convicted by a three-judge panel in the September 1985 torture-killing of 12-year-old Raymond in a field in southwest Warren. Hill has been appealing the conviction for more than 36 years.

Hill was 19 at the time of the rape and murder, among other crimes committed upon the boy. It has been argued Hill had diminished mental capacity and was barely literate. Another defendant, Timothy Combs, a juvenile at the time, was ineligible for the death penalty and died in prison in 2018 while serving multiple life sentences.

https://www.vindy.com/news/local-new...ral-arguments/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

En banc rehearing granted by the Sixth Circuit.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...023-03-20.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Death row victim’s mother speaks out against Ohio push to end death penalty

By Kevin Freeman
    WJW News

WARREN, Ohio – There is a proposal to end the death penalty in Ohio, sparked by a group of bipartisan Ohio lawmakers.

The legislators say the state’s death penalty has failed as a crime deterrent and is costly and broken.

The last execution in Ohio was in July 2018.

Tuesday, Ohio lawmakers from both sides of the aisle explained why it should be replaced with life without parole, but some crime victims say capital punishment should stay.

“Pulled him off his bike, they strangled him, they used a broom handle to impale him and set him on fire and God only knows how long he was still conscious when they did all these things,” said 82-year-old Miriam Fife.

The Trumbull County woman has waited decades to get justice for her son.

On Sept. 10, 1985, her 12-year-old son Raymond was tortured and murdered in Warren.

Danny Lee Hill, who was 18 at the time, was sentenced to death, but nearly 38 years later, Miriam is still waiting for the sentence to be carried out.

“It guarantees that they will never get out by some of these bleeding hearts that might get on the parole board and eventually do away with this life without parole. Next thing you know, they’ll be on the streets again,” Fife said.
    The proposal has bipartisan support.

“End capital punishment, which has been found to be expensive, impractical, unjust, unfair, inhumane and in the past, even erroneous,” said State Senator Nickie Antonio (D) Lakewood.

“I believe that as a devout Catholic, the death penalty is wrong, based on there should be one being that decides if you live or die and that’s the Lord and it’s not a judge,” said State Senator Steve Huffman, (R) Tipp City.

Proponents held a news briefing in Columbus Tuesday to discuss the introduction of their legislation that would eliminate the death penalty and replace it with life in prison without parole.

“It is clear that not all Ohioans are treated equally in the death penalty sentencing. Over half of Ohio’s death row is Black, while Black people make up only 13% of the total population of Ohio,” said State Senator Hearcel Craig, (D) Columbus.

Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost released a statement reading, in part, “I support the death penalty, especially for the most heinous offenders. Ohio’s death penalty is a farce and a broken promise of justice – and it must be fixed. If Ohio chooses to end capital punishment, let it own the decision in the full light of day. I will stand on the other side, with the families of the slain.”

Governor Mike DeWine has temporarily halted executions, saying the state cannot get the necessary drugs to carry them out.

“I think our governor, who is the only person who can order those drugs for an execution, needs to stop using that as an excuse,” said Miriam.

A 17-year-old was also convicted in the killing of Raymond Fife, but he was too young to receive the death penalty and ended up dying in prison.

The communications manager for Cuyahoga County prosecutor Michael O’Malley says the decision is up to the state legislature and they will follow whatever the result is.

https://www.wdtn.com/news/ohio/death...death-penalty/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Someone should tell Senator Craig that not all Ohioans commit murder equally, per capita, as well.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

On June 14, 2023, oral argument will be heard in Hill's appeal before the Sixth Circuit sitting en banc.

https://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/sites/c...122023_arg.pdf

The Sixth Circuit returned the case to the panel for further consideration on 8/25/23.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...023-08-25.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I like Judge Thapar's concurrence in In re Hill. He should definitely be a SCOTUS Justice if the Republicans win back the White House.

Death penalty case of convicted Warren murderer remanded for another Atkins hearing

Hill has been convicted of the 1985 sexual attack and murder of 12-year-old Raymond Fife as he was headed to a boy scout meeting.

By Zach Mosca
    WFMJ

The death penalty case of a Warren man convicted of murdering a 12-year-old boy nearly 40 years ago has been remanded for another Atkins hearing.

According to an opinion from the Ohio 11th District Court of Appeals, a previous petition for postconviction relief for Danny Lee Hill of Warren was denied. The appellate court is now asking for a motion to seek relief from judgement or a second postconviction relief petition.

Hill has been convicted of the 1985 sexual attack and murder of 12-year-old Raymond Fife as he was headed to a boy scout meeting. Prior to that, he was convicted as a juvenile offender for two separate rapes against women.

Prosecutors say he was released from his sentence for those crimes about one month before the murder of Fife.

According to the appellate court opinion, the trial court had erred in concluding that Hill did not meet the requirements for a second postconviction relief petition.

However, a separate press release from Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins expresses disagreement with this opinion.

"This office believes that the well-reasoned 13-page opinion, rendered by visiting Judge Patricia Cosgrove is legally sound," Watkins said.

According to the opinion, Hill has an intellectual disability, but at the time of his sentencing, no laws were in place protecting those with intellectual disabilities from the death penalty.

It wasn't until the 2002 case of Virginia vs. Atkins that it was ruled that the eighth amendment would bar those with intellectual disabilities from being sentenced to death.

However, according to the prosecutor's office, Hill's claimed intellectual disability has been examined and reexamined by the trial court in several post-conviction petitions and motions for a new trial, and his behavior was also examined by the U.S. Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals.

"After over 37 years of litigation including nearly 30 appeals, all issues have been considered many times by every available court in this country including on written decision by the United State Supreme Court and ultimately found to be meritless," Watkins said.

Watkins says he's hopeful that Ohio Attorney Geneal Dave Yost and the Solicitor General's Office will consider filing a "friend of the court" brief in support of the Prosecutor's Office's appeal to this decision.

https://www.wfmj.com/story/50209584/...atkins-hearing

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread Information