Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Charles L. Lorraine - Ohio

Execution date set for double-murderer Charles Lorraine

WARREN – The Ohio Supreme Court has set an execution date for convicted double-murderer Charles Lorraine now that all of his state and federal appeals to get off death row have been exhausted.

The high court Friday scheduled Lorraine, 51, to die on March 15, 2023, for the 1986 slayings of 77-year-old Raymond Montgomery and his bedridden wife, Doris, 80, inside their Warren home on Haymaker Avenue NW.

Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins, who filed a motion in April with the Supreme Court asking the court to set the date, said “it’s long overdue.”

“I’m very pleased. It’s unfortunate his execution has been delayed so long from the point of view of guilt beyond all doubt … and from the point of view of the victim’s family.”

On May 6, 1986, Lorraine, using a butcher’s knife, stabbed Raymond Montgomery five times and then went downstairs to stab Doris Montgomery nine times.

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/latest...rles-lorraine/

So he got an eleven year reprieve over a legal issue that got thrown out a few months after the stay. The judiciary in Ohio is horrible.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Is the Ohio DRC website down or is it just me?
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Lorraine's petition for writ of certiorari was DENIED.

Lower Ct: Court of Appeals of Ohio, Trumbull County
    Case Numbers: (2017-T-0028)
    Decision Date: August 20, 2018
    Discretionary Court Decision Date: January 23, 2019

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/18-8992.html

Edited:

Two women wait for justice as Trumbull Co. murderers spend over 30 years on Death Row

It's been over 30 years, but two local women are still waiting for justice in the murder's of their family members

By Jennifer Rodriguez
    WKBN News

(WKBN) – It’s been 34 years since 12-year-old Raymond Fife was murdered. It’s been 33 years since the double murder of Doris and Raymond Montgomery.

Now, in 2019, two women are still waiting for justice.

Raymond Fife’s mother Miriam has been waiting since 1985 for the day her son’s murderer, Danny Lee Hill, will be put to death.

Linda Couch is the niece of Doris and Raymond Montgomery. She was the one who found the couple after Charles Lorraine stabbed them to death in 1986.

Both men are on death row. Both women are waiting.

THE MURDER OF DORIS AND RAYMOND MONTGOMERY

Raymond Montgomery and his wife Doris lived in Warren, Ohio when they were killed by Charles Lorraine.

Raymond’s niece described him as “a little feisty, Montgomery Irishman.”

“He was proud of the fact that he had been in the service, and also his brothers were in the service. He came from a family of eight kids,” said Lynda Couch.

She said Doris enjoyed ceramics, but at the time of her death had been bedridden for about six years, due to crippling arthritis. But despite this, she said Doris was always happy.

But their lives would come to a tragic end.

One night in May of 1986, 18-year-old Charles Lorraine stabbed the couple to death.

Doris was stabbed nine times, and Raymond was stabbed five times, both with a butcher knife.

Lorraine then burglarized their home.

“He murdered them, he left the house, took other people back to the house… He went to the bar on Parkman Road… When he went back to the house the second time with other people, they ransacked the house,” Couch said.

Couch said the Montgomerys knew Lorraine. They had hired him to help with different tasks around the house. And despite his horrific crimes, Lorraine would later describe the Montgomerys as “the two nicest people you would ever want to meet.”

WAITING

For both women, it has been more than 30 years since the murders of their loved ones. More than 30 years of appeals and policy changes. New lethal injection drugs being introduced, then taken away.

Fife said the process has taken so long, her husband has since passed away and didn’t make it to see justice for his own son’s murder.

He isn’t the only family member who has passed away before justice was served.

Both Fife and Couch said they never imagined it would take decades for the death sentences to be carried out, especially since both men were caught almost immediately following the murders.

“They told me, when we had the trial, that there would probably be 11 years of automatic appeals that he was entitled to. But there was never a question that he murdered. He was arrested the same day, and later on in the afternoon, he said that he did it,”

Couch said of Charles Lorraine.

When looking into why the process takes so long, there are several major aspects that appear.

FINDING THE RIGHT WAY TO EXECUTE

Over the years, several executions have been halted due to the inability to find the necessary drugs. Recently, Ohio Governor Mike DeWine delayed executions again, stating Ohio should look for lethal injection alternatives.

In 2014, Ohio became the first state where executions were carried out by a combination of the drugs Midazolam and Hydromorphone. But those drugs were no longer used after two executions went wrong.

In the case of Dennis McGuire, he took nearly 25 minutes to die after being injected with the drug combination. He reportedly struggled, gasped and choked for several minutes before he was pronounced dead.

McGuire was convicted of the 1994 rape and murder of 22-year-old Joy Stewart. She was seven months pregnant at the time.

After McGuire’s execution, there was a three-year freeze on executions in Ohio, until another lethal injection protocol could be found.

In 2017, once the freeze was lifted, Ohio began using a three-part cocktail — Midazolam (as a sedative), a paralytic drug and Potassium Chloride (to stop the heart) — as its form of lethal injection.

But when a federal judge suggested the execution cocktail was unconstitutional in January of this year, Governor DeWine felt the need to pause upcoming executions again. In fact, he has asked legislative leaders to consider alternative methods of executions.

Ohio is one of the 17 states that use lethal injection as its only method of execution.

In other states, inmates may have the option to choose how they are executed. For example, in Oklahoma, there may be cases in which an inmate can choose to die by electrocution or firing squad.

Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins also feels Ohio should explore other methods of execution.

“To me, it’s simple… The first thing I would look at… we have fentanyl, carfentanil forfeiture, let’s use that. We can overdose these Death Row people with fentanyl, carfentanil,” he said.

Although these methods may or may not be considered humane, Watkins feels the punishment should fit the crime.

“I don’t buy into, and neither has the United States Supreme Court, that there’s no, a perfect death that you have no suffering… You go look at the victim, let me show you Tami Engstrom, and the 96 perimortem wounds and tell me about suffering of these victims,” Watkins said, referring to the case against Kenneth Biros who was put to death for the brutal murder of Engstrom.

THE APPEALS PROCESS

When an inmate is sentenced to death, the inmate is given the opportunity to file an appeal. This often creates a long, drawn-out process in which inmates are sitting for years on Death Row.

A direct appeal is automatically given to any person sentenced to death. The appeal is made to the state’s highest court. This is a process that doesn’t typically happen quickly.

“That will take some time because the records in death penalty cases are often longer because a variety of motions. Because it’s two stages, you may have a motion to suppress. So, it’s gonna take months, maybe a year or longer for a record to be produced, because it’s such a complicated case,” Watkins said.

Often, Death Row inmates will claim they have an intellectual disability, or that the punishment for the crime is cruel and unusual.

In some cases, these claims could result in new hearings, such as in the Danny Lee Hill case.

Since his conviction, he has filed numerous appeals to have his sentence overthrown. Arguments for his latest appeal are scheduled in December.

“Most of the delay in cases, have been numerous state and federal appeals, and also appeals that involve new constitutional rulings,” Watkins said.

CLOSURE

“I always say there is never real closure; it’s like writing a book. You get the end of each chapter, but when the actual end comes, it doesn’t close anything for you. You could have a sequel, because it still goes on in your mind,” Fife said.

Out of the 138 inmates on Ohio’s death row, only 24 of them have an execution date.

One of them is Charles Lorraine, who has been given an execution date of March 15, 2023.

Couch said although having a date does bring some hope for justice, she said she can’t move on until she knows it will be carried out.

“You go on with your life, but this is always in the background,” Couch said.

A federal appeals court will decide whether Danny Lee Hill should be executed.

After claiming an intellectual disability, it is possible that Hill could escape his death sentence.

Fife said although she does not hate Hill, she feels his death sentence should be upheld.

“You have to forgive because hatred can eat you up… I have forgiven Danny Hill and Tim Combs because I got an education as to where they came from and how they turned out the way they were… It doesn’t excuse what they did. This punishment definitely fits the crime and should be carried out,” Fife said.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/27-investi...-on-death-row/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Moved again to May 13, 2026.

https://www.whio.com/news/governor-d...JZ3YZJLV4DJCU/

This man has now had an "Active execution date" for 11 of the past 16 years.

Ohio has probably broken a record with the longest active "Death Warrants". For inmates in world history at this point with an ongoing 16 year delay with this guy.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Ohio has the worst republicans in America, and the whole four year away death warrants are unacceptable. 1-3 months would be doable
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Death row inmate Charles Lorraine dies

BY TRUMBULL COUNTY PROSECUTOR’S OFFICE

Convicted double-murderer and death row inmate Charles Lorraine, 56, has died at the Ohio Corrections Medical Center, the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections has confirmed today.

No cause of death was given, but reports showed Lorraine had died about 5 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023.

Lorraine was scheduled several times following his conviction in 1986 and his last rescheduled date to die was May 13, 2026. He was sentenced to death after being found guilty of the 1986 capital murders of Raymond Montgomery, 77, and his bedridden 80-year-old wife Doris inside their Haymaker Avenue NW, Warren home.

Gov. Mike DeWine had given a reprieve to Lorraine late last year when his then-execution date of March 15, 2023, was nearing. The delay was because of the inability of the state of Ohio to obtain lethal execution drugs.

Evidence showed that Lorraine -- then age 19 with a long criminal history as both juvenile and adult -- that on May 6, 1986, used a butcher’s knife to stab Raymond Montgomery five times and to stab Doris Montgomery nine times. Both died of their injuries.

After the murders, Lorraine met some friends at a Warren bar, spending the money he stole from the couple’s home. When he ran out of money, Lorraine stole a car from another elderly woman to go back to the Montgomery home to steal more money, evidence showed.

WATKINS REMEMBERS

Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins remembers the case against Lorraine and the facts surrounding the murder since he was the lead trial prosecutor in the case which was held in the courtroom of the late Trumbull County Common Pleas Judge Mitchell F. Shaker in late 1986.

“Shortly after Danny Lee Hill was sentenced to death for the September 1985 aggravated murder of Raymond Fife, in the spring of 1986, Charles Lorraine planned a knife attack on an elderly couple who lived on Warren’s West Side.”

Lorraine was a repeat violent offender as a juvenile and adult, Watkins said, who was out on bail for robbery and burglary charges at the time of the murders.

“He obtained a knife from a friend and he also wore gloves because in his words, he ‘didn’t’ want to leave fingerprints or get blood on his hands,’ ” Watkins said.

After brutally stabbing both victims, including the invalid woman who was laying helplessly on a bed in the living room, Watkins said Lorraine obtained valuables from the home including some cash.

“As he was walking from the home, Lorraine came upon a friend – who later became a witness at trial -- and told him that he just killed ‘two old f---s,’ and that he was buying drinks,” Watkins said about Lorraine’s subsequent “celebration” at the Olympic Bar on Parkman Road.

“In the bar he persuaded another friend in joining him by first burglarizing another elderly woman’s home and stealing her car and driving back to the crime scene to steal more items from the dead,” Watkins said.

After the bodies were discovered by a Montgomery niece, that same friend of Lorraine went to Warren police with his father and told them what had happened.

Then detectives Bill Seese and the late Howard Andrews interviewed Lorraine, who gave a detailed confession claiming that “drugs made me do it,” in spite of outlining to the officers a well-planned and executed crime of murder involving the obtaining of a weapon and gloves to make sure evidence wouldn’t be left behind.

“At trial, the defense team tried to convince jurors that others were to be blamed for Lorraine’s brutal, criminal behavior along with the drugs,” Watkins said. “However, the jury saw it otherwise – and Lorraine was given the death sentence.” THE

APPEALS PROCESS

After being convicted and sentenced to death row, Lorraine subsequently filed several appeals and tried different legal maneuvers to avoid the death penalty, including that he was mentally retarded. Those all failed.

Watkins also remembers the state fighting against Lorraine’s legal team in these appeals.

“Along the road during the long appeal process – like the Hill case – Lorraine tried to avoid (the death penalty) by claiming that he was intellectually disabled, Watkins said noting this delayed his execution date even more, “But he had no evidence. No test ever showed he was mentally retarded. Instead he was found to be a sociopath.”

Watkins said Lorraine even told a news reporter during that time that he only filed the mental retardation motion to avoid being executed. Lorraine gave a direct quote with TV video cameras rolling as he exited the courthouse: “I’ll do whatever I need to stay alive. I am not mentally retarded.”

After he exhausted state and federal appeals, Lorraine’s execution date was set for Jan. 18, 2012. However, on Jan. 11, 2012, a temporary stay was placed by a federal judge on the executions of three death row inmates, including Lorraine, as a result of a challenge of Ohio’s death row protocol.

“Lorraine’s attorneys were able to delay the process by convincing U.S. District Court Judge Gregory Frost to stay the execution dates because of claims of “cruel and unusual punishment by lethal drug execution.”

While he was preparing for an earlier hearing, Lorraine in May 2011 wrote his life story, reducing it to 17 typewritten pages. He titled it “Where I Went Wrong and How I got to Where I Am Today.”

This story was used in a December 2011 hearing before the parole board, and Watkins successfully convinced the board to deny any clemency recommendation to the governor for Lorraine because his story “was self-serving nonsense given only to avoid the death penalty. The parole board vote was 8-0 against Lorraine. However the federal judge later intervened on his behalf.

In his story, Lorraine described the Montgomery couple whom he had befriended as “the two nicest people you would ever want to meet.”

Lorraine also blamed the murders on his drug use.

In November 2023, DeWine issued the latest reprieve to Lorraine due to ongoing problems involving the willingness of pharmaceutical suppliers to provide drugs to the DRC, pursuant to the state agency’s protocol, without endangering other Ohioans, a release from the governor’s office states.

FINAL WORDS

In learning about his death, Watkins had these comments about Lorraine:

“Though Lorraine should have been executed long ago, his death brings to an end a long journey for victims and the community in having justice done,”

Watkins said. “The only cruel and unusual punishment involved in this case was the torturous pain and death he inflicted on the two elderly victims.”

Watkins said Lorraine was “always different from his family and friends.” “Lorraine, in the end, was solely responsible for what he did. Blaming drugs and others should never work when you can plan and execute horrific criminal acts alone and then celebrate afterwards by stealing the victims’ money and having a party at a local tavern.

“Sadly, there is no remorse here,” Watkins said, “but there is some finality and closure with Lorraine’s death.”

https://www.mahoningmatters.com/news...279789909.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information