Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Charles L. Lorraine - Ohio

Ohio appeals ruling that halted killer's execution

Ohio has asked the U.S. Supreme Court to uphold the state's lethal injection procedures, arguing that minor deviations in policy don't mean the system is unconstitutional.

The office of Attorney General Mike DeWine says that, without Supreme Court action, Ohio is in danger of having dozens of executions delayed on a case-by-case basis.

The appeal filed Friday asks the court to let Ohio put to death 45-year-old Charles Lorraine, sentenced to die for fatally stabbing an elderly couple in Warren in 1986.

U.S. District Court Judge Gregory Frost halted Lorraine's execution on Jan. 12, saying the state failed to properly document the drugs used in its last execution in November and failed to review the medical chart of the inmate who was put to death.

http://www.seattlepi.com/news/articl...#ixzz1k3SrSCj9

KASICH, GOV. OF OH, ET AL. V. LORRAINE, CHARLES

The application to vacate the stay of execution of sentence of death entered by the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio on January 11, 2012, presented to Justice Kagan and by her referred to the Court is denied.

And here is the article

Supreme Court lets stand Ohio stay of execution

The Supreme Court on Wednesday refused to lift a stay of execution for Ohio convicted killer Charles Lorraine because the state failed to follow agreed-upon reforms for procedures on how it carries out the death penalty.

In a one-sentence order, the high court rejected a request by Ohio officials to set aside the stay of execution that a federal judge entered last month in the case about the state's death penalty protocol involving lethal injection.

U.S. District Court Judge Gregory Frost granted Lorraine a temporary stay because Ohio failed to follow through on changes it made to its execution process after nearly eight years of constitutional challenges by inmates alleging cruel and unusual punishment.

Lorraine was sentenced to death for the 1986 stabbing murders of an elderly couple, Raymond and Doris Montgomery, at their home in Warren, Ohio.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit also refused to life the stay of execution for Lorraine.

In an execution carried out in Ohio in November, there were deviations from the procedures in announcing each drug as it was injected, in documenting the drugs used by name, expiration date and lot, and in reviewing the inmate's medical chart before he was put to death.

Frost cited those deviations in his ruling.

He said he was not deciding whether Ohio's method of execution practices were unconstitutional or constitutional, but added that Lorraine was likely to prevail and put on hold his execution, pending further order.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8171DY20120208

A killer’s words

Ohio death row inmate Charles ''Chucky'' Lorraine called the elderly Warren couple he befriended and then murdered in 1986 ''the two nicest people you would ever want to meet.''

''But that night this happened, I was at a friend's house and they was getting high, smoking weed and drinking, and they were shooting drugs that was new to me. I never been around or saw anybody ever do that before,'' Lorraine wrote last May 15 when he reduced his life story to 17 typewritten pages.

He titled it ''Where I Went Wrong and How I Got to Where I am Today.''

Lorraine, 45, who has spent the last 25 years in prison awaiting execution, forwarded the autobiography to members of the Ohio Parole Board when he was preparing to present his case for clemency in November.

The hearing was recorded on video and viewed by Trumbull County Prosecutor Dennis Watkins, who successfully argued against clemency on Dec. 13 before the execution was halted by a federal judge, who declared the state was not following its own protocol for carrying out the death penalty.

The U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear any arguments, leaving the case in the federal appellate court, where arguments are scheduled well into the summer.

In Watkins' copy of the inmate's life story, the prosecutor who put him on death row after a capital murder trial made at least 11 notes in the margin of what he called lies, or at least claims by Lorraine that have never came to light in the last 25 years. The prosecutor calls the document self-serving and one of the final attempts to have his death penalty set aside.

After reading the document, Watkins was quick to point out that Lorraine's account of ''shooting up drugs'' before the murders was never substantiated by any of the friends he was in contact with immediately before or after the murders of Raymond Montgomery, 77, and his wife, Doris, 80.

''Lorraine clearly knew what he was doing. He bought drinks for friends at the Olympic (Inn) and even stole a car after he killed the Montgomerys,'' Watkins said.

The prosecutor said Lorraine's recollection of putting on rubber gloves after he was inside the Montgomerys' home doesn't fit with his confession to police, when he admitted that he put the gloves on before entering the house, a clearer indication of intent to kill.

Watkins also says that instead of Lorraine's account of being scared the morning after the murder, Lorraine was actually trying to pawn Mrs. Montgomery's diamond wedding ring and having breakfast at Denny's Restaurant.

Watkins also said that although Lorraine doesn't offer any explanation for why he murdered, he can refer to trial testimony from a relative of the defendant who pointed out two days before the murder and while they were playing bingo that the next time he is locked up it would be for killing someone.

Lorraine starts his story from his earliest recollections when he was 6 or 7 years old:

''I can hear my mom and dad fighting over him wanting more pills and her telling him she has no more. She says we have no money either and back and forth they argue until both are tired and they stop talking.

''Growing up we weren't the kind of family that said 'you be careful when you leave' or 'we love you' or give hugs or anything like that. I guess I just knew they loved me in their own kind of way without having to say it.''

Lorraine explores what he remembers as good times visiting relatives in West Virginia, smoking cigars, chewing tobacco and drinking beer. He talks about getting drunk at age 7 and his parents laughing at him.

He talks about an older brother teaching him how to prostitute himself by entering parked cars with homosexual men at age 12 and earning $40.

''He said have you ever come down here before. I said no and he reached over and started touching me and he was unzipping my pants and I went and stopped his hands. He said don't worry I'm not going to hurt you, trust me...''

Lorraine said he learned how to endear himself to his father by stealing pills for him and continues describing his life of juvenile crime, including stealing his first car at age 15.

At age 16 and when his 14-year-old girlfriend, Rhonda, becomes pregnant, he talks about both of them getting permission from their parents to get married and living in the basement of the home where his girlfriend's mother lived.

Lorraine points out later that his son developed spinal meningitis, a condition that would handicap him the rest of his life. Lorraine said his son died at age 21.

But it was when his young wife became pregnant again with a daughter that she was able to convince a judge to delay her husband's three-to15-year sentence until after the birth. The sentence was for taking part in three burglaries and stealing the purse of an elderly woman. The sentence never took place as scheduled.

It was during that period that Lorraine murdered Mr. and Mrs. Montgomery, stabbing them repeatedly inside their Haymaker Avenue N.W. home - a home he was familiar wife while performing yard work and shoveling snow for the couple.

''I don't know what made me think about killing anybody. But I just remember going to a friend's house and getting some gloves from his garage. They were rubber gloves and a big butcher knife from a kitchen set he had and I asked him if he would drop me off somewhere and I showed him where I wanted to go and he took me there and he left.''

Lorraine writes about getting inside the Montgomery house on the premise that he left a necklace inside the place. Mrs. Montgomery, who was confined to a bed in the living room, motioned for him to come in. Lorraine told Mr. Montgomery, whom he called ''Red,'' that he thinks the necklace was lost upstairs.

When Mr. Montgomery and Lorraine went upstairs, Lorraine admits: ''I came up behind him and put the gloves on and pulled out the knife and grabbed him around the head and I just kept sticking him in the throat with the knife. I don't know how many times I did it but I felt his body go limp.''

''His wife heard the hit to the floor and yelled out, 'What's going on up there.' I yelled back, 'Nothing, something fell off the dresser.'

''So I went downstairs and I forget that I still had the gloves on and I put the knife in the back of my pants. I walked to the top of her bed behind her and I took my hand and held her head down and I pulled out the knife and stabbed her in the throat several times.

''I wish people could understand that this night it was different than any other night because I didn't feel anything like compassion or sorrow for what I was doing. What I was doing, it didn't bother me at all,'' Lorraine wrote.

He blames alcohol and drugs with clouding his memory about buying drinks for friends at the nearby Olympic Inn and then going back to the murder scene where he and a friend burglarized the home again.

Lorraine only touches briefly on the confession that he gave to Warren Detective Bill Seese and on a subsequent capital murder trial.

He recalls in his story friends that he's made while living on Ohio's Death Row.

After he was convicted and sentenced to die, he was admitted to a receiving prison, where he said he met up with Richard Cooey, a death row inmate from the Akron area who was convicted of murdering two college students after playing Good Samaritan before kidnapping, raping and murdering the pair.

Cooey, nearly the same age as Lorraine, waged a last-minute battle to have his execution set aside by arguing that he was too obese to die.

The 5-foot-7, 267-pound Cooey was executed Oct. 14, 2008.

But Lorraine said it was the Feb. 3, 2004, execution of John Glenn Roe that hit him the hardest.

Roe had murdered a 21-year-old woman in 1984 when she was on her way to pick up her 9-month-old child. She was kidnapped and shot to death before Roe took her car and money and then used the information to try to get out of serving time on other crimes he had committed.

Lorraine said he shared a cell with Roe until the state did away with ''doubling up'' in death row cells.

''It was a lot of fun. We played chess every day and dominos and we cooked,'' Lorraine wrote.

The morning Roe was executed, Lorraine said, ''It hit me hard. I missed him so much. Inmates on death row become like brothers to you and when they get executed, it's like losing a brother. I kind of pulled back a lot from talking to a lot of people after that. I didn't come out for recreation so much anymore, mainly just when I needed to call and talk to my mom and dad. Then I would lock right back up.''

His wife, who has remained in the area, divorced him soon after he went to prison and she remarried about 15 years ago. And his daughter also has remained in Warren and has since given birth to her own daughter - Lorraine's granddaughter who is now 5. Lorraine's former wife declined to be identified for the story.

Lorraine said he started writing to a girlfriend of Roe's after his execution and through her, he met and became friends with a pastor who helped him turn to religion.

Lorraine writes that religion has helped him though the death of both his parents and his son, all of them passing while he has been behind bars.

He urges youngsters to ''turn to the Lord'' rather than making the mistakes he made.

''Man, I wish I would have stayed in school. I could have been anything but I chose drugs and having fun. My mom and dad died of a broken heart. Out of six kids, not one ever finished school. I think about it every day.

''I don't know what else to say. I wish I could find the right words that would reach you so that you and others can understand how easy it is to throw away your life,'' Lorraine wrote, apparently as a way of advising youth.

http://www.tribtoday.com/page/conten....html?nav=5021

Timeline: Charles Lorraine

Oct. 12, 1966 - Charles Lorraine is born. He begins smoking cigarettes and marijuana in the fourth grade.

1978 - At age 12, Lorraine says his brother introduces him to making money in exchange for sex acts with homosexuals.

Sept. 18, 1981 - He is permanently committed to Ohio Youth Commission for curfew violations, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, aggravated burglary and theft.

December 1981 - He is released from OYC and placed in Wesley Group Home in Salem.

January 1983 - He is charged with breaking and entering and placed on probation.

May 1983 - He is sent to Department of Youth Services for burglary and theft.

July 12, 1983 - Lorraine is granted early release from DYS.

Jan. 12, 1984 - He is sent back to DYS for grand theft, escape and conspiracy.

June 13, 1984 - He is granted an early release from DYS.

May 1985 - As an adult, Lorraine is indicted for three counts of complicity to aggravated burglary, complicity to aggravated robbery.

March 1986 - He is sentenced to a three-to-15-year prison term. The sentence is delayed due to the imminent birth of his second child, a daughter.

May 6, 1986 - Raymond Montgomery, 77, and his wife Doris, 80, are stabbed to death inside their northwest side home, where Lorraine was known to do odd jobs. The same day, Lorraine goes to Warren Police headquarters in an effort to get his pending prison sentence reduced. Instead, after several hours of interviews with detectives, he confesses to killing the Montgomerys to Detective Bill Seese.

Nov. 19, 1986 - Lorraine is convicted on all charges and eventually sentenced to die for the murders.

Dec. 1, 1986 - He is admitted to death row in Lucasville Correctional Institution.

April 12, 1993 - As a death row inmate, Lorraine survives a prison riot in which six prisoners were killed and eight guards held hostage.

April 5, 1994 - An April 25 execution date for Lorraine is delayed so his attorneys can begin post-conviction relief appeals.

Feb. 26, 1996 - 11th District Court of Appeals in Warren affirms Lorraine's death penalty conviction.

April 5, 2001 - A federal judge sets aside Lorraine's death penalty on grounds of prosecutorial misconduct and ineffective assistance of counsel.

May 10, 2001 - The same federal judge stays an order to re-sentence Lorraine while the matter is appealed to the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals.

May 23, 2002 - A federal appellate court overturns the resentencing, saying there was no prosecutorial misconduct and Lorraine's attorneys acted properly.

June 9, 2003 - Lorraine files a claim that he is mentally retarded and not eligible for the death penalty.

Jan. 1, 2005 - Lorraine's mother, Mildred M. Lorraine, dies at age 62.

Sept. 17, 2007 - Lorraine's father, Clarence D. Loraine, dies at age 69.

January 2010 - Lorraine blurts out during a hearing on his mental retardation claim that he is not mentally retarded and only filed the action to try to save his own life.

March 6, 2010 - Lorraine is ruled fit for execution.

Dec. 21, 2011 - Ohio's Parole Board denies clemency for Lorraine and a Jan. 18, 2012, execution date remains scheduled.

Jan. 10, 2012 - Gov. John Kasich adopts the Parole Board recommendation and denies clemency for Lorraine.

Jan. 11, 2012 - U.S. District Judge Gregory Frost delays Lorraine's execution, saying the state failed to document the drugs used in its last execution in November and failed to review the medical chart of the inmate put to death.

Jan. 13, 2012 - Ohio's Attorney General Office appeals Frost's decision to the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals and later to the U.S. Supreme Court, which declines to hear the arguments.

(Sources: Tribune Chronicle archives; Trumbull prosecutor)

Prosecutors await killers’ fates

By CHRISTOPHER BOBBY
    THE TRIBUNE CHRONICLE

While attorneys for a condemned Mahoning County man who killed a Youngstown store owner say their client is mentally disabled and mentally ill and should be spared, Trumbull County's prosecutor is patiently waiting for a new execution date on a Warren killer.

The lawyers for 63-year-old John Eley of Youngstown argued Tuesday that the slaying would never have happened without the involvement of Eley's alleged accomplice, who was acquitted after Eley refused to testify against him.

Eley's attorneys made their arguments for clemency before the Ohio Parole Board. Mahoning County prosecutors also gave presentations in favor of execution.

The state says Eley was a career criminal who showed no remorse over the shooting and whose IQ of 82 is well above the threshold of mental disability.

Eley's execution date for the 1986 robbery-murder of Ihsan Aydah is July 26.

In the meantime, Trumbull Prosecutor Dennis Watkins is optimistic that the Ohio Attorney General's Office will soon filed a motion to lift the stay still in effect for Warren killer Charles Lorraine, who was spared execution in January.

The stay, which delayed execution for Lorraine and other death row inmates, would have to be lifted by Federal Judge Gregory Frost before the Ohio Supreme Court sets a new execution date.

Watkins said his optimism was aided by a May 22 ruling by Frost that affirmed the judge's belief that Ohio's execution protocol was carried out in a constitutional manner.

''I take the judge's ruling as a good sign that we will get a new date for Lorraine in the near future,'' Watkins said. ''The reasonable position is to get the stay lifted and look at these (executions) on a case-by-case basis.''

''Everyone on death row was convicted by a jury or a three-judge panel. It's certainly time for justice for the victims,'' Watkins said last week.

Lorraine, 45, of Warren, spent years unsuccessfully appealing his death sentence. Lorraine stabbed Raymond Montgomery, 77, five times with a butcher's knife and stabbed his bedridden wife, Doris Montgomery, 80, nine times before burglarizing their Trumbull County home in May 1986 after befriending the couple he did odd jobs for.

Kasich rejected Lorraine's plea for mercy that Lorraine made on the grounds of a troubled childhood and sub-par legal representation.

Lorraine's Jan. 7 scheduled execution was delayed by Frost over concerns that the state continued to deviate too often from its written rules for lethal injection.

The state found itself in the position of having a death penalty system that remained constitutional in the eyes of the courts but being unable to put inmates to death because of issues with how that system is conducted.

The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled later in January that federal courts must monitor every Ohio execution "because the State cannot be trusted to fulfill its otherwise lawful duty to execute inmates sentenced to death."

In April, though, Ohio executed 48-year-old Mark Wayne Wiles of Portage County, who murdered 15-year-old Mark Klima on Aug. 7, 1985, at a farmhouse in Rootstown. Klima's parents owned the farm where Wiles worked.

Wiles stabbed the teen 24 times after the teen discovered Wiles stealing valuables from the home. Wiles fled to Georgia but later confessed to authorities in Savannah and detectives in Portage County.

And Frost wrote in his opinion, ''There is no evidence before this court that Ohio failed to meet all of its constitutional obligations in regard to the Wiles' execution.''

It was last week that Kasich granted a two-week reprieve for another condemned inmate so a judge can reconsider the man's mental competency before any execution.

A new June 20 execution date was set for Abdul Awkal, who was sentenced to die for killing his estranged wife and brother-in-law in 1992.

http://www.tribtoday.com/page/conten...rs--fates.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

They should have used Ronald Post's X date to get rid of Charles Lorraine. Any idea on why it is taking so long to get his back on the calendar?

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    I wonder why DeWine hasn't filed a motion with Frost to lift the stay, certainly the DRC has shown that they won't deviate from their execution procedures again. Same thing goes for Michael Webb.

Man convicted of murdering Warren couple wants death sentence thrown out

A man who has been on Ohio's Death Row for thirty years for murdering an elderly couple in their Warren home has asked the Ohio Supreme Court to vacate his death sentence.

Charles Lorraine was sentenced to die for the 1986 stabbing deaths of 80-year-old Doris Montgomery and her 77-year-old husband Raymond.

He was convicted on two counts of aggravated murder, two counts of burglary, two counts of complicity to commit burglary, and one count of robbery.

The last execution date for Lorraine was set in 2012.

Even after state officials said that Lorraine had exhausted all appeals and Governor John Kasich refused to grant clemency, a federal judge stopped the execution, saying Ohio had failed to follow its own rules for executions.

Lorraine's attorney has now filed a motion with the Ohio Supreme Court citing a U.S. Supreme Court decision handed down last year ruling that a jury must evaluate and weigh all factors required by law to impose the death penalty.

The motion says that an earlier ruling by the Ohio Supreme Court found errors in the sentencing phase of Lorraine's case, and argues that the matter should be sent back to the trial court in Trumbull County for re-sentencing.

The Trumbull County Prosecutor's Office has yet to file a response to the motion.

Background

According to court records, the Montgomerys had been friendly and generous to Lorraine in the past and they had hired him to perform tasks around their home.

On May 6, 1986, investigators say Lorraine got Raymond Montgomery to go to the second floor of his home on the pretense that he had forgotten an item.

Upon entering the room, Lorraine, while wearing rubber gloves, stabbed Montgomery five times with a butcher knife.

After killing the husband, police say Lorraine returned to the first floor, where Mrs. Montgomery was confined to bed, and stabbed her nine times.

He then burglarized the residence.

Showing no remorse, Lorraine went to a bar and bought drinks with the stolen money, according to court documents.

He and a friend returned to the Montgomerys' home to steal again.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/34270210/m...nce-thrown-out
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Execution date sought for convicted killer of elderly Warren couple

WARREN, Ohio - Trumbull County's prosecutor says it's been nearly 32 years since a Warren husband and wife were murdered in their home and it's time for the man convicted of those killings to have his death sentence carried out.

Prosecutor Dennis Watkins on Monday filed a motion to set an execution date for 51-year-old Charles Lorraine, who was sentenced to death for the 1986 stabbing deaths of 80-year-old Doris Montgomery and her 77-year-old husband Raymond.

He was convicted on two counts of aggravated murder, two counts of burglary, two counts of complicity to commit burglary, and one count of robbery.

According to court records, the Montgomerys had been friendly and generous to Lorraine in the past and they had hired him to perform tasks around their home.

On May 6, 1986, investigators say Lorraine got Raymond Montgomery to go to the second floor of his home on the pretense that he had forgotten an item.

Upon entering the room, Lorraine, while wearing rubber gloves, stabbed Montgomery five times with a butcher knife.

After killing the husband, police say Lorraine returned to the first floor, where Mrs. Montgomery was confined to bed and stabbed her nine times.

He then burglarized the home and went to a bar and bought drinks with the stolen money, according to court documents.

Investigators say Lorraine and a friend returned to the Montgomery home to steal again.

In his motion, Watkins says Lorraine has exhausted all of his state and federal appeals and has not asked for a stay of his execution.

http://www.wfmj.com/story/37866635/e...-warren-couple
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information