Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gary Wayne Otte - Ohio Execution - September 13, 2017

Article

Parma murderer Gary Otte dies as Ohio executes second death row inmate this year

LUCASVILLE, Ohio -- The state of Ohio executed Gary Otte on Wednesday morning, more than 25 years after he robbed and murdered two people at a Parma apartment complex.

Otte, 45, of Terre Haute, Indiana, died at 10:54 a.m. by lethal injection in the state's "death house" at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville. There appeared to be no complications with the execution.

Otte, strapped to a gurney, breathed heavily for about three minutes. He stopped moving at 10:44 a.m.

He laid still for another eight minutes before a member of the execution team walked in and checked his heartbeat. He was pronounced dead two minutes later.

Otte was convicted in 1992 and sentenced to death for robbing and killing Robert Wasikowski, 61, and Sharon Kostura, 45, in February of that year.

Family members of Wasikowski and Kostura were in the viewing area, watching as Otte took his final breaths. Otte's witnesses were two spiritual advisers, two attorneys and a nurse ready to intervene had complications arose.

In his last statement, Otte said he would like to "profess my love for my family," none of which witnessed his execution. He then said "I'm sorry" to the loved ones of the victims.

He then sang three verses of the gospel hymn "The Greatest Thing" and closed with "Father forgive them, for they don't know what they do. Amen."

Otte spent Tuesday evening visiting with his parents and his attorneys, Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said. He did not sleep and spent the rest of the night on the phone, talking with friends.

On Wednesday morning, he again visited with his parents and prayed, Smith said, giving them a hug through prison bars one last time. He then met with his spiritual advisers, again with his attorneys and talked with a friend on the phone. He was also seen singing.

Smith said the meetings were generally emotional but Otte remained in good spirits. Otte took a shower but did not eat the breakfast served to him.

Like many inmates before him, he and his supporters tried their hardest to halt his execution. He waged a series of legal challenges to Ohio's methods of execution and death penalty statute. All were denied, with the latest ruling coming by the Ohio Supreme Court less than two hours before his execution.

The Ohio Parole Board and Gov. John Kasich rejected his arguments that his life should be spared because he was repeatedly bullied as a child. That bullying led to drug and alcohol use and depression, which led him to commit his crimes, his lawyers argued.

The parole board said in February that Otte had a good upbringing with a loving family.

Meanwhile, opponents of the death penalty implored Gov. John Kasich and the state in the days and hours leading up to Otte's execution to intervene and call it off.

Otte was the 55th person the state has executed since it restarted the death penalty in 1999.

Otte, in a letter to Splinter News , blamed the actions that led to his imprisonment and fate on a crack cocaine addiction.

"I took personal responsibility for my life and became accountable for my future actions," Otte wrote in his letter. "I've become a new person through this life giving application. The fears I once operated from have vanished through my reliance on God for all my support.

"I am no longer defined by my past failures, but by God's love."

He was served his last meal of burgers, fried food, ice cream and donuts on Tuesday evening, after visits by his parents and his attorneys. Around midnight, prison guards removed his cheese sticks, string cheese and ice cream, which he requested for his special meal, Smith said.

Otte is the second death row inmate the state has executed this year. Akron child killer Ronald Phillips died by lethal injection in July .

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article..._otte_dies.amp
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    The Latest: Killer sings hymn before death by execution (from @AP)

https://twitter.com/dansewell/status/907995663278977025

Attorney for executed Parma murderer says she believes inmate suffered pain during lethal injection

LUCASVILLE, Ohio -- An attorney for Gary Otte, a man put to death Wednesday for killing two people in Parma in 1992 , said she saw signs that her client experienced pain as the execution team injected him with a sedative, the first of three-drug combination.

Carol Wright, the supervising attorney for the Columbus Federal Public Defender's Office's capital unit, watched Otte's execution from the viewing area of the state's death house. The execution was carried out Wednesday morning at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility in Lucasville, and Otte was pronounced dead at 10:54 a.m.

Wright said Otte's movements and actions as he received midazolam, a sedative, indicated to her that Otte felt "pain or sensations" as he was about to die.

Her statements on what she saw mirror legal arguments she and her team have made that say midazolam does not render inmates deeply unconscious , and its use in executions could lead the state to violate an inmate's constitutional right.

Otte's stomach raised and lowered several times after the execution team began the injections. That stopped after several minutes, presumably when the execution team gave him a paralytic drug. Then the execution team gave Otte a drug that stopped his heart.

Wright said the stomach movements were abnormal and evidence that Otte was struggling to get air. She also said Otte was crying.

She said she saw these reactions and got out of her seat to call Dayton federal magistrate Judge Michael Merz, who presides over litigation brought by death row inmates challenging the state's use of the three-drug combination in executions.

That caused another problem, Wright said.

"They would not allow me to leave the room until several minutes passed," Wright said of the staff in the death house, adding that protocol says she should be allowed to leave immediately.

A staff member eventually let Wright out, and she called the prison's waiting room so one of her colleagues could reach Merz on the phone.

"It was my hope to alert the court to what I believed was a constitutional violation," she said.

That took several more minutes, and by the time Merz was on the line, it appeared the execution team had already given Otte the second injection. She told Merz that the stomach movements stopped and she did not see any more tears, and Merz declined to intervene.

Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction spokeswoman JoEllen Smith said department staff handled Wright's request to leave the room appropriately. Smith said in an email that "we followed proper security protocol, and once her identity and intention was verified she was given permission to exit the room."

The whole process led Wright to believe that the state's execution team was ill-prepared and made mistakes.

The state disagreed.

"The execution was carried out in compliance with the execution policy and without complication," Smith said.

Otte, 45, of Terre Haute, Indiana, was executed for robbing and murdering Robert Wasikowski, 61, and Sharon Kostura, 45, in February 1992. He's the second Ohio inmate executed this year.

Merz declared Ohio's latest execution protocol unconstitutional in January , but a federal appeals court overturned his ruling .

The state used this protocol after it had problems during the execution of death-row inmate Dennis McGuire in January 2014 . McGuire was executed with a previously unused drug combination.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/article...d_parma_mu.amp
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Judge: Inmate drug reaction wasn't enough to stop execution

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A federal judge says the physical reaction of an Ohio inmate being put to death wasn't enough to stop the execution under current legal precedent governing lethal injection in the state.

Judge Michael Merz also says it was likely too late for him to act by the time attorneys for inmate Gary Otte (OH'-tee) reached him by phone last week.

Merz explained in a weekend ruling his decision not to stop Otte's execution on Sept 13.

An attorney who contacted Merz after the execution started said there were signs Otte was crying, clenching his hands and that his stomach was heaving.

Merz said the description wasn't enough to override an appeals court ruling this summer stating that the likelihood of pain after the injection of the sedative midazolam (mih-DAY'-zoh-lam) didn't violate the constitution.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/news/us/a...p-12214588.php

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    An attorney for Gary Otte, a man put to death Wednesday for killing two people in Parma in 1992, said she saw signs that her client experienced pain as the execution team injected him with a sedative, the first of three-drug combination.
    Just wondering what law school course made her an expert on that. If it's just her opinion, we all know what they say about opinions.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    Anyone who has ever taken a benzodiazepine knows that the guy likely felt awesome as he was being injected with the sedative.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information