Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Phillips - Ohio Execution - July 26, 2017

AdamSmith
    Looks like the ethics debate on this has now really begun in earnest.

I do NOT agree that convicts should NOT be allowed to donate. I have no problem with the REDEMPTION status donation gives them. As long as their bloodstream is AIDS-free and hepatitis-free, they should be able to donate their organs. Redemption for murder is a good thing.

As far as mode of execution, the donate-able organs should be given priority. So ordinary major surgery, and snip snip snip, should be the best way to do it.

First the kidneys come out, then the liver comes out, then the heart-lung, and finally the cornea's. Guaranteed that the convict won't wake up from that procedure.

Parts is parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan240 View Post
    You can also hang them.
    There is a well known expression in German applicable to this.

"Das geht nicht." Means THAT WON'T WORK.

Organs die quickly when suffocated from absence of circulation of blood even for a very short while.

Kill the circulation and you kill the organ.

Senior Member CnCP Addict Stro07's Avatar
    They could transplant the kidney now, wait till July and execute him then - it would be the most efficient way.

Find a surgeon prepared to do it & I'd be comfortable with that..
    Justice should not depend on the size of your bank balance or colour of your skin !

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    Thats what I said in a previous post take one of his kidneys now. A person can live with one kidney if he is sincere he would ask about doing it within the next few months.

AdamSmith
    Yup, you are talking about an ordinary donation of an extra kidney. You are right -- this is what they will probably do if they determine the convict is AIDS free and hepatitis free and also if they are close enough in blood compatibility.

The complete organ donation issue is probably way beyond the scope of this situation. But it is an interesting concept.

You can also donate a piece of your liver. My friend gave her mother part of her liver, unfortunately it was to late because there was all ready other damage to her other organs and she died.

Ohio rejects child killer's organ donation request

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) – Ohio said Friday it was denying a condemned child killer's request to donate organs to his family members, saying he didn't have enough time to undergo the surgery and recuperate for his summer execution.

Organ donation surgery would have to have been completed by this coming Sunday to give the death row inmate, Ronald Phillips, enough time to recover before the July 2 execution, but Phillips had not shown he was anywhere close that happening, according to letters from state prison officials to Phillips' attorney.

The state "fully intends" to carry out Phillips' execution, Stephen Gray, the prison system's chief counsel, wrote to defense attorney Timothy Sweeney.

Sweeney declined to comment.

The Department of Rehabilitation and Correction warned Phillips about the Sunday deadline in a letter two months ago, according to documents released by the state.

Phillips, 40, was out of appeals in November when he made a last-minute request to donate the organs, including a kidney to his sister and possibly his heart to his mother. The prison system rejected his request, but Gov. John Kasich delayed the execution until July 2 to give the state time to see whether it was possible to comply.

"I realize this is a bit of uncharted territory for Ohio, but if another life can be saved by his willingness to donate his organs and tissues, then we should allow for that to happen," Kasich said in a statement at the time.

Phillips was sentenced to die for the rape and death of Sheila Marie Evans, his girlfriend's 3-year-old daughter, in Akron in 1993.

In 1995, Delaware death row inmate Steven Shelton was allowed to donate a kidney to his mother while in prison, though he was not facing imminent execution. Following successful appeals, his death sentence was reversed and he was resentenced to prison time in 2011.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/21...cmp=latestnews
    Last edited by mostlyclassics; 03-21-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    This is too ridiculous he should have been executed already. I don't see why the Govenor even gave in and stayed his last date this issue was always a non starter due to the fact he wanted to give his mother his heart. That in it's self would have been the end or can you implant an artificial heart that would keep him around long enough to be executed. I wonder what creative appeal he is dreaming up with his attorney now to further delay his punishment.

Death Row inmate remained hopeful for transplant until state closed the door

Death Row killer Ronald Phillips remained hopeful he could be able to donate a kidney to his ailing mother right up to the time the state closed the door on his transplant surgery.

A newly released Feb. 26 email from Timothy Sweeney, Phillips' attorney, to the state indicated that Phillips' mother was "committed to doing whatever her doctors recommend, from a medical perspective, so she may safely undergo transplant surgery as soon as reasonably possible." Sweeney said it is not unusual for older patients to need six months or longer after learning of a potential transplant donor before they are ready for surgery.

"It is our belief that Mrs. Phillips is doing all she can do, and as expeditiously as reasonably possible to be able to accept the gift of her son's kidney," Sweeney wrote.

By March 21, however, officials with the Ohio Department of Rehabiltiation and Correction had had enough.

They decided if the surgery was not done by March 23, Phillips, 40, would not be allowed to have his kidney transplanted because he would not have enough time to heal from surgery before his July 2 execution. The surgery will now not be allowed.

Gov. John Kasich postponed Phillips execution scheduled for Nov. 14 last year, giving him seven months to make good on his wish to donate organs to his mother, who is on dialysis.

Phillips was sentenced to death for repeatedly and brutally raping, beating and murdering 3-year-old Sheila Marie Evans, the daughter of his girlfriend at the time. Evans was present for the rapes, records show.

http://dispatchpolitics.dispatch.com....whLqKorn.dpuf
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member Frequent Poster Alfred's Avatar
    Is this really a serious date? Seems at least a little strange to me, because the execution of Gregory Lott planned for march, was replaced by an execution in november. So why shouldn't Lott be the next in line? I thought Lotts execution was postponed untill november to find a new drug since the previous was one wasn't such a success. If they have found or find a new way to kill Phillips on July 2, then why should Lott wait untill november?

I don't think it makes any sense.. does it?

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread Information