Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ronald Phillips - Ohio Execution - July 26, 2017

I have a hunch Phillips' sentence won't be commuted.

m!<god
    I won't be consulting my magic 8 ball either!

From the autopsy her injuries seem more synonymous with a train wreck than beating.

-----from the transcripts-----

Dr. Cox, who performed the autopsy on Sheila’s body, testified
    that on the day of her death she suffered numerous internal and external injuries from
    multiple blows, and that, based on a reasonable medical certainty, these blows caused
    Sheila’s death. He elaborated:

The cause of death is cardiovascular collapse; due to hypovolemic shock;
    due to intraperitoneal hemorrhage, hemorrhage into the soft tissue of the
    pelvis and into the lumen of the small and large bowel due to multiple
    acute contusions of the small and large bowel, with perforations of the
    duodenum, complicated by perforation of the superior mesenteric artery
    and vein, associated with compromise of the superior
    pancreaticoduodenal artery and vein; due to blunt force trauma,
    complicated by brain swelling with herniation.
    -------------------------

Junior Member Stranger
    Of all of the death row inmates in the United States, Ronald Phillips ranks amoung the top as a piece of crap that should have been executed years ago. His victim was a defenseless 3-year old girl that he repeatedly abuse physically and sexually. In her short life, she experienced more evil that 99% of adults. When her little body could take no more abuse and finally broke down, he became angry and smash her into a wall (after anally raping her one more time of course). So how does this guy still live 20 years after the crime? I'm surprised the prisoners or gaurds haven't eliminated him yet. Ironically, in his first interview with police, he said he didn't want to go to prison and be anally raped. That statement alone shows his disregard for his little victim, who didn't have the means to stop him. The girls mother was her only hope and she failed her. She died in prison while serving time for her part in this crime. She's in Hell now. Ronald Phillips needs to join her.

Akron killer to be first executed under new Ohio death penalty plan

Ohio plans to come up with a new process for executing condemned inmates no later than Oct. 4 as the supply of its current drug is ready to expire, according to a court filing.

The new process, which is not spelled out in the filing, will apply to the November execution of Ronald Phillips, sentenced to die for raping and killing his girlfriend’s 3-year-old daughter in Akron in 1993, according to the order filed Monday by federal judge Gregory Frost.

Frost’s order, reviewed by the Associated Press, notes that the process won’t be in place for next month’s execution of Harry Mitts. The Department of Rehabilitation and Correction raised the Oct. 4 date in a recent telephone conference with the judge, according to the order.

The state did not immediately respond to a request for comment, but said a statement was forthcoming.

The change in the execution process is necessary because supplies of the sedative pentobarbital, the drug Ohio uses for executions, have been put off limits by its manufacturer, and the state’s remaining supplies expire at the end of September.

One option floated by Ohio authorities is obtaining the drug from compounding pharmacies, which are licensed to create small batches of drugs for specific clients.

This would be the third time the state has changed its protocol because of difficulty finding an execution drug. Manufacturers also restricted distribution of sodium thiopental, the drug used before pentobarbital.

http://www.ohio.com/news/akron-kille...-plan-1.421271
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Rick Charles
    Quote Originally Posted by m!<god View Post
    A far superior punishment would be handcuffing his wrists to his ankles and then releasing him into general population
    I kinda think he might enjoy that
    For the life of me, I don't see how any human can enjoy rape or abuse of a three-year-old. There are many situations where I'd count myself as anti-DP, but when it comes to rape -- especially serial rapists -- and double-especially with children, I can only ask "Why is this guy allowed to keep breathing our air? I can see NO redeeming social value that can come from allowing him to breath for one more day.
    When there might be a even a slight question of innocence,guilt, maybe faulty or weak evidence, etc . . . but for rapists, if there's no chance of him being innocent, why waste another minute on them?
    Sorry for the rant, but that's a particularly sensitive area for me . . . Okay, I'll store my soapbox for now . . . .

Ohio man who killed 3-year-old girl seeks mercy

By ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A death row inmate who raped and killed his girlfriend's 3-year-old daughter was sexually, physically and verbally abused during his childhood, according to attorneys asking the Ohio Parole Board to spare him before next month's execution.

No judge or jury ever heard the full story of the abuse suffered by Ronald Phillips, which included being repeatedly raped and beaten by his late father, according to a document filed with the board ahead of Wednesday's clemency hearing.

"Ronald Phillips is not and was not a monster," his attorneys said in the filing. "Ronald Phillips instead was a 19 year old high school student, who had experienced nothing but violence, chaos, and abuse, and who learned through those life experiences that violence and abuse were the norm."

Phillips, 40, is scheduled to die Nov. 14 for raping and killing Sheila Marie Evans in Akron in 1993 after a long period of frequently abusing her.

If his execution proceeds, Phillips would be the first person to die under the state's new execution procedures. That policy allows Ohio to continue to use the sedative pentobarbital but with the option of buying it from a specialty pharmacy which produces non-FDA-regulated batches of medicine for specific patients.

If that option isn't available, the state can move to a never tried method of two other drugs — the sedative midazolam and the opiate hydromorphone — injected intravenously.

The warden at the Southern Ohio Correctional Facility, which houses death row, will determine by Nov. 1 whether the state has a usable supply of pentobarbital.

A federal judge is reviewing Ohio's new method and legal challenges are expected.

The state says Phillips long denied suffering the type of abuse he now alleges. Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh says Phillips is only raising it now with his execution imminent. She urged the board to reject the claim.

"It is curious that the disclosures have been made now, on the eve of his execution and after his father's death," Walsh said in a response to Phillips' clemency plea also filed with the parole board.

Phillips' attorneys say he was only able to reveal the abuse recently to them and to two psychologists.

The board will recommend for or against mercy next week. Gov. John Kasich has the final say.

Phillips' father, Williams Phillips Sr., died in 2009. His mother, Donna Phillips, declined to discuss the allegations against her late husband, who she acknowledged could be "stern."

"He's not here to defend himself and I don't believe it should be anything said about that," she said in a phone interview.

She said her son is sorry for what happened.

http://www.ctpost.com/news/crime/art...cy-4899226.php

I4NI
    The ones claiming to want mercy because they had a bad childhood bother me more than most. No one should ever have to go through that, but that also means those people more than anyone would know just how hurtful, physically and emotionally, that can be. Reading through the case, this one is really a no-brainer to get the X.

Quote Originally Posted by Moh View Post
    I have a hunch Phillips' sentence won't be commuted.
    Remember Steven Smith, the guy Ohio executed back in May? Well, the Parole Board turned him down unanimously, and when you look at Phillips' case, it is probably as bad, or perhaps even worse than what Smith did, so this clemency hearing should proceed against Phillips without any hindrance. In summation, I expect the full parole board to vote against Phillips unanimously. 11-0

My only major and remaining concern is the legal warfare about the L.I. protocol. I just hope and pray some hack federal judge doesn't stay the execution as was the case a few years ago. Ronald Phillips is by far the worst of the 6 inmates Ohio had scheduled for execution this year, and again, perfectly displays why we need the death penalty for heinous crimes against human beings.

Wasn't Steven Smith the one who raped and killed his girlfriend's 6 month old baby girl and the mom woke up when he was putting the baby in the bed beside her? If it is I think they are both equally reprehensible and deserve to die.

Clemency ruling due for Ohioan who killed girl, 3

The condemned killer of a 3-year-old girl will learn Thursday whether the Ohio Parole Board has accepted his plea for mercy as the state prepares an untried execution method.

Attorneys for death row inmate Ronald Phillips argue he was subject to terrible abuse as a child, including rape and beatings.

Prosecutors have told the parole board the 40-year-old Phillips long denied such abuse and raised it only as his execution was imminent.

Phillips was sentenced to die for the 1993 rape and killing in Akron of Sheila Marie Evans, his girlfriend's daughter.

Gov. John Kasich (KAY'-sik) has the final say ahead of the Nov. 14 execution.

The state has until next week to say whether it will use a specially mixed dose of pentobarbital or two other drugs.

http://www.hsconnect.com/page/conten...sap=1&nav=5028
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information