Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raymond Tibbetts - Ohio

Raymond Tibbetts - Ohio

Summary of Offense:

Convicted of the 1997 aggravated murders of Judith Sue Crawford and Fred Hicks. He was sentenced to death for Hicks’ murder and life imprisonment without parole for Crawford’s murder.

In today's orders, the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals denied Tibbetts' petition for a writ of habeas corpus.

Justice Karen Nelson Moore wrote a 17-page dissent.

Opinion and dissent here

babes40
    My name is Stephanie Crawford Shoe, this man murdered my aunt....I am happily awaiting his execution date, we have waited almost 13 years and hope that the wait is not 13 more.. Sue and Fred are greatly missed and the void that we feel will never be filled. I pray for Ray's family as I pray for my own as they have lost too due to his actions. If only.....................

Welcome to the site Stephanie. I'm sorry for your loss.

Hopefully the wait is almost over. The delay in the case seems to lie squarely with the 6th Circuit Court of Appeals. It took the court close to 4 years to deny his last appeal.

The earliest I could see Mr. Tibbett's execution would be the summer of 2012. The Ohio Supreme Court has been setting execution dates for men on death row with one man to be executed per month. Numerous inmates are elegible for an execution date in Ohio but the Supremes will only fulfill so many requests at one time. Being that he still may be able to appeal to the U.S Supreme Court, Tibbetts can be executed anywhere between July 2012 - December 2012 or even later.

In almost every instance where it takes a few years to render a decision on a death penalty case in any circuit court of appeals, it's almost always because the panel is split 2-1 in upholding or overturning a death sentence. 1 case I'm awaiting Judgement on out of the 6th Circuit is David Matthews. Oral Argument was held a few years ago, still no opinion yet.

In Monday's (10/03/11) United States Supreme Court orders, Tibbetts' petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis was DENIED.

The Ohio Supreme Court has set Tibbetts' execution date for October 15, 2014.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

babes40
    Thank you so much for posting this Heidi, somehow I have not been notified by the Prosecutor's office. I will get in touch with them. Thanks again. i have spread the news to all my family members and we are very relieved and happy.

Glad to be the bearer of great news babes! Even though it is 2 years off.

Clemency hearing set for September 9, 2014.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information