Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert J. Van Hook - Ohio Execution - July 18, 2018

Federal judge rejects death-row inmates' challenge to Ohio's execution secrecy rules

A federal judge has thrown out a lawsuit by four death-row inmates challenging the constitutionality of Ohio's new execution secrecy rules.

The suit argued that the new law, which shields the identities of most participants in Ohio's execution process, violates the condemned inmates' rights to free speech and due process.

U.S. District Judge Gregory Frost dismissed the case on Tuesday, agreeing with the state's arguments that the rules would not infringe on free speech and the plaintiffs' case is "based on conjectural or hypothetical" injuries.

"H.B. 663 does not suppress speech or the ability to oppose the death penalty," Frost wrote in his opinion.

"Rather," Frost stated, "the statutory scheme simply cuts off Ohio and its employees as a source of specific information for both proponents and opponents of the death penalty.

Under the new law, House Bill 663, Ohio must keep secret the names of people involved with executions, other than top officials. The law also protects the identity of small-scale drug manufacturers called compounding pharmacies if they make lethal-injection drugs for the state.

Proponents of the rules, signed into law by Gov. John Kasich in December, say they are needed to protect individuals involved with Ohio executions from harassment and potential harm.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of death-row inmates Ronald Phillips, Raymond Tibbetts, Robert Van Hook and Grady Brinkley. The first three are scheduled to be executed next year; Brinkley's execution date has not yet been set.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index....ts_death-.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Hook has a new execution date set for July 26, 2017.

http://www.drc.ohio.gov/public/executionschedule.htm

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar

The couple have never kissed, held hands or even met in person due to the 9,300-mile distance between them.

Mum-of-two: 'I fell in love with a killer on death row and now we're getting married'

Jane Quantrill, 55, plans to tie the knot with Robert 'Bobby' Van Hook in July 2017 - the same month he is scheduled to die for murdering David Self

A mum-of-two has revealed how she is engaged to a death row inmate who murdered and mutilated a gay reveller after going back to his home.

Jane Quantrill, 55, is planning to marry convicted killer Robert 'Bobby' Van Hook, 56, next year after exchanging hundreds of letters and calls with him.

The couple, who were initially prison pen pals, have never kissed, held hands or even met in person due to the 9,300-mile distance between them.

But despite this, they aim to tie the knot in July 2017 - the same month that Van Hook is scheduled to be executed for murdering David Self.

During his grisly crime, Van Hook met Mr Self in a gay bar in Ohio, US, before going back to his house and 'luring' him into a 'vulnerable' position.

He then strangled the reveller until he was unconscious, before stabbing him to death and mutilating his body, according to court records.

Van Hook, who later fled to Florida, had gone to the bar in Cincinnati on February 18, 1985, with the intention of finding someone to rob.

He was eventually tracked down and arrested six weeks later, before being sent to death row at Chillicothe Correctional Institution in Ohio.

There, he is joined by more than 130 other murderers.

Jane, who lives in Sydney, Australia, is aware of Van Hook's crime and has even discussed it in depth with the inmate himself.

But despite her knowledge, she still wants to marry her lover.

She exclusively told Mirror Online: "[Bobby] told me all about his crime and is deeply remorseful. He's been there for 31 years.

"Our letters and calls brighten up our lives. We plan to marry next July."

Jane, who has campaigned against the death penalty for decades, first contacted Van Hook after 'meeting' him through a prison pen pal website.

The pair now exchange letters every two days, and call each other three times a week.

But they cannot have physical contact - death row inmates are kept in segregated cells for 23 hours a day and cannot touch or embrace visitors.

This means the first time Jane will be able to touch her fiancé is when he is dead - or if his conviction and sentence are overturned (of which she is hopeful).

Jane said: "I met Bobby through a pen pal site that a friend of mine told me about.

"We correspond by jpay email and also snail mail. We write every second day and he calls me about 3 times a week.

"I have opposed the death penalty my entire life. Whilst living in Montgomery, Alabama, in the early eighties, I worked for a prisoner's aid group and visited men on death row there.

"In my first letter to Bobby, I told him about myself and my work against the death penalty. I had no fear in writing someone on death row, for obvious reasons."

She added: "I'm sad we don't have the physical contact, but one day we shall. We concentrate on that. We do have video visits."

Van Hook, who was convicted of aggravated murder and aggravated robbery, was scheduled to die by lethal injection in March last year.

However, the execution was stayed and later rescheduled to November 17, 2015, amid an investigation into another inmate's death.

It was then put back to October 19, 2016, before being rescheduled to July 26 next year.

This is the same month that Van Hook and Jane plan to tie the knot.

Jane, who is a published author and songwriter, said her two adult children are aware of her upcoming marriage to Van Hook.

But while her daughter is 'supportive' of their relationship, her son is 'uncertain'.

She also said that she believes that corresponding with death row inmates, like Van Hook, is 'actually beneficial and can be a catalyst for reform'.

I think the death penalty is premeditated state-sanctioned murder which only creates more victims, the condemned inmate's loved ones," she said.

"I believe, and indeed. have started a petition, asking that if death row inmates agree to donate blood, bone marrow, and organs; such as a kidney or part of their liver, that their sentences be commuted.

"They can't bring their victims back, but they can give life to those who would otherwise die."

Van Hook, who was born in Cincinnati, has appealed against his conviction and sentence numerous times.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...-love-8594715#

She certainly is a nut. A couple of years ago, she popped into my twitter feed, left a few insults, and then blocked me. LOL

When she isnt trolling death row prisoners, she's collecting cats. I think this is the photo she sends out to her pen pals:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91PGuFTTk-L._UX250_.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	1475

Quantrill is now busy insulting everyone on the internet that doesnt endorse hers and Bobby's "love." [eyeroll]

All her "published" books she loves to brag about are self published and the reviews are brutal. LOL

I did a google search on her and it appears she is a Holocaust denier. No surprise. Here is a link to a series of emails she sent to Ken McVay of the Nizkor Project: http://www.nizkor.org/ftp.cgi/people...ill.jane/email

Cthulhu3
    First of all; I'm not a nut. There were many errors in that article. Inmates are not locked up for 23 hours a day. They may also kiss and hold hands on visits. There is also something called Video Visits; where you can talk to and see your loved one; like with Skype. It's like being in the same room as them.

Bobby is one of the most loving, caring people I know. Yes, his crime was horrific; but he was totally addicted to drugs and alcohol; which his father introduced him to, at age 13.

Bobby's intention was to rob Mr.Self, to get money for drugs.

He chose someone gay; as he believed the police hated them and wouldn't look very hard for the robber.

That's also why he said what he did in his confession. Something happened during the robbery, and Bobby, out of his mind on drugs, murdered the man.

He tried to reach out to the victim's family, to try to explain. They were interested at first, but the prosecution talked them out of it.

BTW; the one negative comment on my book was from a personal enemy. I've written 3 books. The last, I had self published because I wanted it out for the 150th anniversary of the end of the Civil War; going through a publisher would have taken too long.

Incidentally, 'Partners in Time' made it to number 2 in the Time Travel genre on Amazon paperback charts.

As for the Holocaust denier crap; that group had me confused with another Australian writer, Helen Demidenko Darville; who did write a novel based in WW2 Ukraine, and was anti Jewish. It reached number 1. Our books came out around the same time; and to make things worse, we looked quite alike. Ms.Darville was a plagiarist; which is why she was so well known.

There is every likelihood that Bobby'sent execution date will be vacated! And BTW, that is NOT the picture I send pen pals.

You are clearly; a very hateful person.
    Last edited by Cthulhu3; 10-03-2016 at 09:27 PM.

WTH is going on? Is there a full moon out tonight or what
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

I have a waxing crescent moon.

In today's opinions, the US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit upheld Ohio's statutory scheme concerning the confidentiality of information related to lethal injection. Voting to affirm were Judges Norris (Reagan) and Siler (G.H.W. Bush). Judge Stranch dissented (Obama).

http://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opin...6a0267p-06.pdf

Article

Appeals court upholds Ohio plan to shield execution-drug makers' identities

COLUMBUS — A Cincinnati appeals court today threw out challenges to an Ohio law that promised to shield the identities of some of those involved in the execution process, including pharmacies that manufactured the drugs.

In a 2-1 decision, the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the dismissal of claims made by several death row inmates that the process conceals information from the public record in violation of their constitutional rights.

The majority agreed that the death row inmates lacked standing to sue because they could not show they’d been denied information to which they claim they have a free-speech and public record right.

“The plaintiffs have not satisfied the injury-in-fact requirement,” Judge Eugene Siler, Jr. wrote for the majority. “In their complaint, they claimed that (House Bill) 663 ‘chills the speech of those participants or former participants in Ohio lethal injection executions’ who might have to disapprove of the death penalty.

“Whether or not this is the case, it constitutes only an allegation of a subjective chill, which is insufficient to satisfy (the constitutional requirement for standing to sue),” he wrote.

Ohio last executed an inmate in January, 2014 when Dennis McGuire, of Montgomery County, was put to death using a two-drug process that it has since abandoned. McGuire died, but witnesses described him as making choking noises and struggling against his restraints for 26 minutes after the drugs began to flow.

Between a federal court order and subsequent decisions by Gov. John Kasich, Ohio has had an informal moratorium in place on carrying out executions in place since then.

That is about to expire at the end of the year, and Ohio plans to execute Ronald R. Phillips, formerly of Akron, on Jan. 12 using a revised process involving an intravenous combination of fairly common drugs—midazolam, an anti-anxiety medication; rocuronium bromide, a paralytic agent, and finally potassium chloride, designed to stop the heart.

After the McGuire execution, Ohio struggled to find the drugs it preferred to use because their domestic and overseas manufacturers refused to make them available for executions.

As part of its effort to access the drugs, the General Assembly passed House Bill 663 which, among other things, dangled the promise of at least temporary anonymity for compounding pharmacies that would agree to make the drugs from scratch for the state.

The law also would shield the identities of certain individuals directly involved in the execution process from the public record.

In her dissent, Judge Jane B. Stranch described McGuire’s death as “this horrifying tale of an execution gone wrong.”

She argued that the majority’s ruling prohibits condemned inmates from accessing information that may be necessary to prevent the carrying out of an execution that unconstitutionally imposes cruel and unusual punishment.

“Death penalty cases are not just about punishing a convicted person,” she wrote. “These cases are also about protecting the functioning of our justice system, which…envisions a forum for addressing the claims made in this litigation, and perhaps other litigation over state lethal injection laws.”

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/20...dentities.html
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Execution rescheduled

Robert Van Hook of Hamilton County, from July 26 to Nov. 15.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information