Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Steven Huggins - Florida

John Steven Huggins - Florida

Carla Lawson

Facts of the Crime:

On the morning of June 10, 1997, Carla Larson took her daughter to day care and went to work. Prior to lunch, Larson told a coworker that she was going to a grocery store to pick up food for an afternoon meeting. A receipt indicated that she purchased food, but Larson never returned to work. Numerous witnesses saw a Ford Explorer sport utility vehicle (SUV) that matched a description of Larson’s SUV in a wooded area off the Osceola Parkway. Two days later, while being led by witnesses who saw the SUV in the woods, coworkers found the body of Larson. The cause of death was strangulation and Larson’s jewelry, clothing, and purse were missing.

On the day of Larson’s disappearance, John Huggins, his wife Angel and their five children were visiting the Orlando area. John Huggins’ mother-in-law, Fay Blades, testified at trial that, when she came home from work on June 10, 1997, she noticed an unfamiliar, white SUV in her carport. Blades’ neighbors also noticed a white, Ford SUV in Blades’ carport, but noted that the vehicle was spray-painted black later in the week. On June 26, 1997, police were called to investigate a burning truck on a vacant lot in Cocoa Beach. An investigation revealed the truck was Larson’s white Ford Explorer SUV, which had been partially painted black.

On June 27, 1997, John Huggins fled Florida with his sister-in-law, with whom he had begun a relationship. Shortly thereafter, Angel Huggins saw a television show, America’s Most Wanted, which featured Larson’s murder. Angel Huggins suspected her husband of committing the murder and called police. In late June and July 1997, police conducted three searches of Blades’ house and a shed on her property, but no incriminating evidence was found. Blades conducted a search of her own and found jewelry, later found to belong to Larson, hidden in her shed.

Huggins was re-sentenced to death in Orange County on September 19, 2002.

Sentence was Reversed due to Hurst.

August 26, 2009

Death row inmate moved to FSH

Florida State Hospital in Chattahoochee is hosting its 1st death-row inmate since the mid-1980s. The state Department of Children and Families has confirmed that John Huggins is being housed in a building inside the hospital's forensic area.

Huggins, 47, was twice convicted of killing Orlando-area resident Carla Larson in 1997.

He was granted a 2nd trial after a circuit court judge found prosecutors had withheld potentially helpful evidence from the defense in the 1st trial. The judge set aside the initial conviction and sentence, and a new trial was ordered. But the result in the 2nd was the same — Huggins was convicted the 2nd time, and was again sentenced to die for the crime.

Deemed incompetent to assist lawyers in the post-conviction phase, which involves the appeals process, Huggins is being held at Florida State Hospital for evaluation and treatment, with the goal of restoring his competency.

He is in solitary confinement, down a hall in a structure that serves as a medical services building for other inmates.

He is separated from that area by a heavy metal door with a small, shatter-proof window.

The doors between the 2 areas are controlled electronically, with a person stationed at a console and operating the controls.

Huggins has been at the hospital since June 23. He is assigned to a small, barred self-contained room that contains a toilet and bed.

The building sits behind a razor-wire fence.

His day-to-day security officers are DCF employees with full correctional officer training.

If he is moved from the building itself, DOC correctional officers take over the security duty.

(Source: The Jackson County Floridian)

July 30, 2010

Can death row inmate John Huggins fire his legal team?

Orange-Osceola Chief Judge Belvin Perry is scheduled to hold a hearing this morning on the question of whether long-time death row inmate John Huggins can fire the legal team handling his appeal.

The hearing is scheduled for 10:30 a.m. today in the Orange County Courthouse.

Huggins, 48, was convicted of strangling construction engineer Carla Larson, 30, in June 1997 after she left work. Her body was found partially buried near Walt Disney World.

There have been lingering questions about whether he is competent and, therefore, eligible to be executed. But during a hearing earlier this month one of his attorneys told Perry that Huggins also wants to get rid of his legal team and refuses to meet with them.

"He wants other counsel," attorney David Gemmer said. "He's expressed that to us repeatedly."

Huggins himself has filed papers requesting that his legal team with the Capital Collateral Regional Counsel be removed.

(Source: The Orlando Sentinel)

-----------------------------------------------------------

Death row inmate refuses to leave cell for hearing

Death Row inmate John Huggins refused to appear via video conference call at a hearing this morning that was originally intended to deal with his request to fire his legal team.

Orange-Osceola Chief Judge Belvin Perry questioned a corrections officer up at the state prison complex near Starke about Huggins. The officer said he refused to leave his cell and remained on his bunk this morning, when asked to go to another room to take part in the hearing, scheduled for 10:30.

Huggins' defense attorney, meanwhile, argued that an upcoming hearing on post-conviction appellate claims made in this case should be delayed until the question of whether Huggins is competent is settled.

But Perry insisted that a hearing long scheduled for next month will go on regarding certain claims, while the question of Huggins' competence is still being decided. Perry plans to spell out which claims will be heard in an order soon to be released. Some of those claims involve ineffective counsel and prosecutorial misconduct.

Perry said "this case is mired in quicksand" and said he can't know for sure if Huggins is refusing to cooperate with his lawyers because he is delusional or because he is trying to delay the process.

Also, Perry said he may compel Huggins to be transported to Orlando for that hearing whether he wants to attend or not.

The parties had some discussion about whether to hold the hearing, which may last a few days, at the prison in northern Florida. But ultimately Perry decided to hold it at the Orange County Courthouse because many of the witnesses are in and around Orlando and the trip to Starke would be an inconvenience for many involved.

"We will have it here," Perry said. "If he refuses to come...well, let me think about it. I think I will have him transported."

The inmate wants a new team of attorneys to handle the appeal of his conviction of strangling 30-year-old construction engineer Carla Larson in June 1997.

Her body was found partially buried near Walt Disney World.

There are lingering questions about Huggins' competence. He must be found competent to assist the legal team handling his case and challenging his death sentence.

But during a hearing earlier this month one of his attorneys told Perry that Huggins also wants to get rid of his legal team and refuses to meet with them.

"He wants other counsel," attorney David Gemmer said. "He's expressed that to us repeatedly."

Huggins himself has filed papers requesting that his legal team with the Capital Collateral Regional Counsel be removed.

In October, Perry found Huggins competent to proceed. However, his legal team had another evaluation done by Tampa-based psychologist Richard Carpenter in November and that testing indicated he was not faking delusions to stave off his execution.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7023903.story

August 23, 2010

Death-row inmate John Huggins declares himself competent

John Huggins, who killed Carla Larson in June 1997, has been fitted with a device that will deliver an electric shock if he gets out of control.

Death row inmate John Huggins declared himself competent Monday and reiterated his opposition to his own lawyers while sitting next to them in court.

Huggins, who was forcibly removed from his cell to attend Monday's hearing, also announced he has filed an ethics complaint against the judge in his case, Orange-Osceola Chief Circuit Judge Belvin Perry.

Monday was the first day of a lengthy evidentiary hearing for Huggins, who refuses to participate in his own defense while questions about his competence linger. The hearing is expected to run through Wednesday.

Huggins killed 30-year-old construction engineer Carla Larson in June 1997. Her body was found near Walt Disney World.

Now, Huggins, 48, also refuses to meet with court-appointed experts to evaluate his competence.

"I am competent," Huggins told Judge Perry today. "My mental condition is sound and always has been sound."

However, a psychologist hired by his legal team said Huggins has a history of mental illness and has raised doubts about his competence to assist his counsel in his post-conviction relief motion.

Perry repeatedly asked Huggins if he would agree to meet with a court-appointed doctor and Huggins repeatedly – and respectfully – declined.

Huggins on Monday briefly alluded to his belief in a conspiracy against him, involving his ex-wife and Oklahoma City, but he did not elaborate. Ultimately, Perry will rule whether Huggins should receive a new trial, get a new penalty phase or remain on death row, heading for execution.

But Huggins' repeated refusals to cooperate have left Perry asking both sides for answers on how to proceed. Perry already ruled that issues covered during this week's hearing do not require Huggins' input.

But on Monday he said future topics will likely require his participation and a firm determination regarding his competence.

"Maybe this is the first time this has happened. I doubt it," Perry said. "At some point we're going to have to discuss this issue."

Meanwhile, Huggins has been fitted with a "REACT belt,'' a stunning device that will deliver an electric shock if he gets out of control.

Recently, Huggins refused to leave his cell and appear via video conference call for a hearing intended to deal with his request to fire his legal team.

Huggins' defense attorney has argued his hearing should be delayed until the question of Huggins' competence can be settled.

Yet Assistant State Attorney Jeff Ashton on Monday said Huggins appeared lucid and understanding of what was going on. He offered one explanation for Huggins' lack of cooperation: "It's not in his [Huggins'] best interest to make this easy," he said.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,4322086.story

August 25, 2010

Attorneys Argue John Huggins' Mental State

ORANGE COUNTY, Fla. -- Death-row inmate John Huggins was back in front of an Orange County judge on Wednesday.

Huggins’ lawyers argued that he is no longer mentally competent to participate in his appeal and should be spared the death penalty.

Huggins was sentenced to death for the 1997 murder of Carla Larson.

In court on Wednesday, Huggins was wearing a stun belt under his clothes. A deputy stood by ready to shock him with 50,000 volts in case he were to act out.

Public Defender Bob Wesley talked in court about how Huggins fired him during the penalty phase of his 2002 trial. Huggins then acted as his own lawyer.

For years, arguments have continued in court over whether Huggins is mentally ill.

In 2006, Judge Belvin Perry ruled Huggins was competent to participate in his appeal and face execution.

The victim’s husband, Jim Larson, said he expected Huggins to keep stalling.

“I don’t really care what he has to say. I miss my wife and my little girl is stuck with me,” he said.

It has already been more than a decade since Huggins’ first conviction.

If the hearing wraps up Thursday, Jim Larson said he planned to travel to Gainesville to be a part of the 20th anniversary remembrance of his little sister, Sonja Larson, who was one of the victims of serial killer Danny Rolling.

http://www.wesh.com/r/24761848/detail.html

Death row inmate may get new representation

A convicted killer on death row for his crime made a deal Friday for a chance at getting new representation.

John Huggins agreed to undergo mental health evaluations to avoid further counseling, and in hopes of new representation.

“I could represent myself better,” Huggins said. “Never ever have been to law school at any time in my life. If I'm going to be railroaded, I can do that myself."

Huggins was sentenced to death for killing Carla Lawson and dumping her body near Walt Disney World in 1997.

In court, Chief Judge Belvin Perry told him if he did not see two court-appointed doctors, he would be transferred for observation for 10 weeks at Union Correctional Institution.

After Huggins agreed, Perry told him if doctors found him competent, they could then discuss his legal representation.

“In order for me to appoint another attorney at taxpayer expense, I have to find that you have valid reasons," Perry said.

Huggins has been disruptive in court in the past. With guards on standby, he was polite to the judge, but still refused to work with his court-appointed attorneys.

He said he's been misrepresented in the past and will not let it happen again.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...e-Belvin-Perry

Factors Contributing to the Delay in Imposition of Sentence:

The delay in the case stems from the Brady violation by the State and the subsequent retrial.

Case Information:

Huggins filed a Petition for Writ of Habeas Corpus with the Circuit Court on 03/25/99, alleging a Brady violation by the State. On 05/21/99, an Evidentiary Hearing was held, and, on 07/21/99, the Circuit Court granted the petition. A retrial was ordered in the case.

Huggins filed a Direct Appeal with the Florida Supreme Court on 04/05/99. On 08/09/99, a Motion to Dismiss was filed and the appeal was dismissed on 07/13/00.

On 08/09/99, the State filed an appeal of the granting of the Habeas Petition by the Circuit Court. On 06/07/01, the FSC affirmed the granting of the petition.

Huggins filed a Direct Appeal with the Florida Supreme Court on 10/31/02, alleging the following trial court errors: admitting certain evidence and testimony, granting a juror challenge, admitting prejudicial evidence, introducing medical examiner’s testimony, admitting victim evidence and victim-impact evidence, denying a motion for acquittal, denying a request for a jury instruction regarding circumstantial evidence, denying motions to disqualify the prosecutor, finding aggravating circumstances, sentencing based on a disproportionate penalty, and Ring claims. On 12/02/04, the FSC affirmed the convictions and sentences.

Huggins filed a Petition for Writ of Certiorari with the U.S. Supreme Court on 03/22/05 that was denied on 06/06/05.

Huggins filed a 3.850 Motion with the Circuit Court on 06/05/06 that was denied on 11/18/10. On 12/07/10, Huggins filed an appeal.

Huggins was declared incompetent on 11/27/06. An order for competency re-evaluation was ordered on 10/17/07.

Huggins filed a 3.851 Petition with the Florida Supreme Court on 06/06/08. The Florida Supreme Court has ordered a stay of all proceedings pending disposition of this petition. This petition was voluntarily dismissed on 03/10/09. The stay was vacated on 03/25/09.

On 11/16/09, Huggins filed a Petition with the Florida Supreme Court to Review Non-Final Order and to Stay Proceedings in Lower Court (3.851). This petition was dismissed on 01/27/10.

On 02/02/11, Huggins filed a 3.850 Appeal with the Florida Supreme Court. This appeal is currently pending

skyblue
    I was a close friend of John's during 2008_2010 . He became very troubled during that time. It is sad for me to discover here that his mental state has not improved. The mind is a complex piece of equipment for sure.

Were you a pen pal of Huggins?
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Passed away.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I was a close friend of John's during 2008_2010 . He became very troubled during that time. It is sad for me to discover here that his mental state has not improved. The mind is a complex piece of equipment for sure.
    Welcome to the site skyblue, do you care to mention your relationship to John? Do you have any stories about him? Why did you choose not to be a close friend anymore?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information