Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Michael Renard Jackson - Florida

Testimony begins in retrial of man accused of raping, murdering vet tech in Orange Park

Michael Renard Jackson was originally convicted and sentenced to death in 2010, but the Florida Supreme Court threw out the verdict

By Anne Maxwell
    News4JAX.com

GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Fla. – Testimony began Monday in the long-delayed retrial of a man accused of raping and murdering a veterinary technician in Orange Park in 2007.

Michael Renard Jackson was originally convicted and sentenced to death in 2010, but the Florida Supreme Court threw out the verdict after finding detectives made prejudicial comments on the stand.

In January 2007, Andrea Boyer, 25, was found dead at the veterinary practice where she worked around 6:30 a.m. — soon after she usually opened the clinic.

On Monday, the state began calling witnesses who spoke about the day of the murder. One of those witnesses was Joy Danielle Choates, who worked with Boyer. She described how another colleague reacted upon finding Boyer at the kennel that morning.

“She was hysterical,” said Choates, who was emotional recalling that moment more than a decade later.

She also testified money in the cash register was missing.

Jackson was arrested and charged soon after the murder. He had previously been convicted of rape and sentenced to 30 years in prison but was released early.

The state had previously argued Boyer was a random victim, while attorneys for Jackson argued that the suspect and victim knew each other and that the sex was consensual.

Witness Kelly Whittenton testified that Boyer and Jackson were both regulars at the Clay County convenience store she managed in 2007, but she never saw the two of them speak.

“I don’t even recall seeing them on the property at the same time,” Whittenton said.

The murder weapon, according to prosecutors, was a fire extinguisher. A fight over the DNA testing of the fire extinguisher on which the suspect’s DNA was found, as well as the paramedic, led the retrial to be rescheduled several times until finally getting underway 16 years after Boyer’s death, with a jury being seated last week in the retrial.

The second day of testimony will begin Tuesday morning at the Clay County Courthouse.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...n-orange-park/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

More than 20 years after the crime, convicted killer could face the death penalty in Jacksonville

Prosecutors said Michael Renard Jackson demonstrated a pattern of behavior during the 80s and 2000s

By Tristan Hardy
    First Coast News

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. — Michael Renard Jackson, a once-convicted killer will soon find out if he will get the death penalty again.

On Thursday, prosecutors and attorney's for Jackson rested their case. Jurors heard from witnesses who knew of Jackson more than 20 years ago.

Jackson spent much of the day hunched over the defense table. He was usually looking down and sometimes covering his face.

One of the witnesses was a rape victim in 1986. First Coast News does not know what was said, because the judge cleared the courtroom before she took the stand.

Jackson was charged and convicted of raping a teenager at knife point. This happened at a Jacksonville apartment complex.

Prosecutors also called a former Jacksonville Sheriff's Office detective to the stand. He was the one who arrested Jackson back in 1986.

"When you went to arrest the defendant, did he appear to be upset or crying in any way?" the state asked.

"No," the former detective answered.

"Would you describe his demeanor as calm when he was arrested for this rape?"

"Yes."

The officer said the man was living in the same apartment complex as the teenage victim. During cross-examination, the defense pointed out Jackson was living with an older woman. She was later arrested for sexual battery. In that case, Jackson was the victim.

Prosecutors said Jackson demonstrated a pattern of behavior during the 80s and 2000s.

More than 10 years ago, Jackson was sentenced to death for raping and murdering 25-year-old Andrea Boyer at a veterinary clinic in Orange Park.

It was where Boyer worked at. Jackson's conviction was later overturned on appeal.

Court resumes Friday morning at 8:30 for juror deliberations.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...b-4390cabb8dff
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Michael Renard Jackson found guilty of murder again after retrial

Michael Renard Jackson was convicted on Feb. 22, 2010, and sentenced to death on July 16, 2010 for the murder of Andrea Boyer, before he was granted a new trial.

Author: First Coast News Staff

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Michael Renard Jackson was found guilty again of first-degree murder and sexual battery during his retrial on Saturday morning. The jury briefly deliberated before returning with their verdict.

He was convicted on Feb. 22, 2010, and sentenced to death on July 16, 2010 for the murder of Andrea Boyer. However, an appeal to the Florida Supreme Court resulted in a reversal and the granting of a new trial.

During closing arguments, the state offered a graphic account of the morning of Jan. 7, 2007 when Boyer was beaten, strangled, raped and stabbed.

Emotional testimony was heard from Boyer’s friends and family members, who could be seen wiping their eyes.

Prosecutor, Dan Skinner, returned several times to the theme of his closing argument which was, “facts are stubborn things.”

“Perfect timing for him to work his way down and go into the gate, following behind her in these dark shadows, and waiting until she makes her way back from out of the clinic," said Skinner.

Skinner says those are facts that you can't argue with.

He also brought up Jackson’s criminal past, a prior conviction for raping a teenager at knife point at a Jacksonville apartment complex in the 80s.

Defense attorney Ann Finnell told jurors that detectives mishandled the crime scene, and unfairly jumped to the conclusion that whoever had sex with Boyer was the one who killed her.

“The person who did this crime remembers everything about January 23, 2007 and yet when Michael Jackson was interviewed on February 16 of 2007 he didn’t remember January 23rd," said Finnell.

She argued the investigation was only three weeks long and there was no identifiable match of evidence with Jackson.

“Have we become so dated as a society that we no longer give someone who makes a mistake at the age 16 a second chance? How does this have anything to do with this case? It doesn’t. It shows how desperate the state is due to a lack of evidence to try to credit this the way you view this evidence," said Finnell.

Pam Hazel is the Clay County Director, supervising the office of the Circuit's second-most populous county. She says Jackson did not leave a witness and he made sure of that.

She stated that Boyer isn’t able to come in here today and tell us what happened to her. She says Jackson made sure of that.

Boyers mother sent First Coast News a statement that says:

"It's been 16 years that our beautiful daughter Andrea was taken from us. She was a wonderful daughter and loved her family. She loved her job at the vet clinic. My father Tom Cochlin had be counting on this day to finally bring justice for Andrea but couldn't be here. He's in ICU battling cancer and kidney failure and my mother Liz Cochlin is there by his bedside in Washington state. I know in my heart that he is holding on finally to hear that the jury found Michael Jackson guilty of this terrible crime. Our family has shed many tears through the years, missing her birthday, holidays and hearing her beautiful voice. Finally we can breathe and say justice has been served."

Just about 20 minutes into the jurors deliberations, they asked the judge to watch a 2007 video of a detective interviewing Michael Jackson about the death of Andrea Boyer.

About two hours later, the jury asked an additional seven questions asking to see more evidence from the scene and the autopsy, but Judge Don Lester couldn’t provide those answers.

The juror could not make a decision at deliberation Friday evening, leading to proceeding being pushed onto Saturday morning. The next phase for Jackson is sentencing. The jury will have to decide if the man will receive the death penalty again or life in prison.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/amp/a...f-97809f59381d
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Penalty phase begins as prosecutors seek death for man who raped, killed 25-year-old vet tech in Orange Park

By Joe McLean
    news4jax.com

CLAY COUNTY, Fla. – Prosecutors will once again seek the death penalty for the man who raped, stabbed and strangled 25-year-old Andrea Boyer before beating her to death with a fire extinguisher.

The penalty phase for Michael Renard Jackson begins Tuesday.

A jury in 2010 took just 20 minutes to recommend death for Jackson, but the vote was 9-3. This time, the jury recommendation would have to be unanimous.

On Saturday, jurors convicted Jackson in his retrial in Boyer’s murder. She was found dead in January 2007 at the Wells Road veterinary clinic where she worked.

DNA collected from a rape kit done on Boyer’s body matched Jackson, who had been previously convicted of rape and burglary in the mid-1980s and sentenced to 30 years in prison. He was released early and was not out for long before Boyer was killed.

Jackson showed no emotion when he heard, for a second time, that he had been convicted of Boyer’s rape and murder.

Jackson was originally convicted and sentenced to death in 2010. But the Florida Supreme Court threw out that verdict after finding Clay County deputies made prejudicial comments on the stand.

The retrial in Boyer’s murder saw years of delays because of the pandemic and a fight over DNA evidence found on the suspected murder weapon, a fire extinguisher.
    Over the weekend, Boyer’s sister was there to see the guilty verdict handed down for a second time.

“Our family has shed many tears through the years, missing her birthday, holidays and hearing her beautiful voice,” Boyer’s sister, Amber Cochlin, said. “Finally, we can breathe and say justice has been served and my dad can rest in peace.”

Boyer’s father, who testified during the penalty phase in the first trial, died Monday morning.

He spent the second trial clinging to life in an ICU in Washington State as he battled cancer and kidney failure. Cochlin said she believes he held on long enough to finally see justice served for his daughter.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...n-orange-park/

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Jacksonville man will no longer face death penalty for 2007 murder

The jury in Michael R. Jackson's retrial, where he was found guilty a second time, decided not to recommend the death penalty.

Author: First Coast News Staff

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — In a verdict read to the courtroom Wednesday afternoon, a jury decided a Jacksonville man will get off of death row.

Michael R. Jackson was convicted of Andrea Boyer's rape and murder for a second time Saturday. He was first convicted of the crime in 2010, then granted a new trial on appeal.

During his first trial, he was sentenced to death. But during his second trial, the jury did not recommend the death penalty.

The law has changed since his last trial; Florida now requires a jury to unanimously agree to recommend the death penalty. In Jackson's case, one or more jurors did not agree that he should qualify for capital punishment.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/amp/a...b-0db7987874df

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information