Thread: Genghis Nicholas Kocaker aka Cengiz Koçaker - Florida

Genghis Nicholas Kocaker aka Cengiz Koçaker - Florida

Summary of Offense:

Genghis Kocaker was convicted of first-degree murder in the killing of Eric J. Stanton, 26.

Stanton's body was found September 1, 2004, in his cab, which was parked in the parking lot of the Eckerd Drug store at 1605 Missouri Ave. S. Authorities were alerted to the cab by an anonymous man who called 911 and said someone was dead inside a taxi at the store.

The killer had stabbed Stanton and cut his throat, then bound him with a seat belt, put him in the taxi's trunk and set the car on fire. Stanton was able to push his way into the cab of the taxi. He died from smoke inhalation, though an autopsy showed the stab wounds contributed to his death.

Kocaker was sentenced to death in Pinellas County on December 19, 2009.

June 12, 2008

Clearwater man guilty of killing taxi driver

A jury on Thursday convicted a Clearwater man of murdering a taxi driver in 2004.

Genghis Kocaker, 44, was convicted of first-degree murder in the killing of Eric J. Stanton, 26.

Stanton's body was found Sept. 1, 2004, in his cab, which was parked in the parking lot of the Eckerd Drug store at 1605 Missouri Ave. S. Authorities were alerted to the cab by an anonymous man who called 911 and said someone was dead inside a taxi at the store.

The killer had stabbed Stanton and cut his throat, then bound him with a seat belt, put him in the taxi's trunk and set the car on fire. Stanton was able to push his way into the cab of the taxi. He died from smoke inhalation, though an autopsy showed the stab wounds contributed to his death.

Detectives learned Kocaker, who has served prison time for manslaughter and armed robbery, lived with his sister two blocks away. They focused on him as a suspect based on a surveillance camera tape, a blood-soaked T-shirt and a gas can.

The surveillance video showed Kocaker making the anonymous 911 call from the store to report the death. When detectives interviewed him, he said Stanton gave him a ride that night but denied killing him.

Detectives also said they found a blood-soaked gray Fruit of the Loom T-shirt in the back seat of the cab. Kocaker's sister told them Kocaker owned such a shirt, and that it was missing from her house. Similarly, investigators said the gas can found on the front seat of the cab was missing from the sister's home.

Detectives also said Kocaker had a crack cocaine habit and, according to his dealer, ran out of money a couple of days before the slaying.

But shortly after midnight on Aug. 31, Kocaker called his dealer and asked to be picked up at the Walgreens across the street from the Eckerd where Stanton's body would be found the next day, authorities said.

The dealer told detectives he noticed Kocaker was carrying a lot of cash and had blood on his shirt. He asked Kocaker if he had robbed someone, and Kocaker said, "That's what I do."

A woman who had used drugs with Kocaker also reported seeing blood on his shirt that night. When she asked how he got blood on him, Kocaker told her she asked too many questions and changed clothes.

Jurors will return to court today to hear testimony about whether Kocaker should be sentenced to death. They will make a recommendation to Judge Joseph Bulone, who will decide whether he should be sentenced to death or to life in prison without the chance of parole.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/...icle621824.ece

Oral arguments were held on the 8th of September.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/p...es/index.shtml

You can find the briefs here: http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/p...229/index.html

GENGHIS NICHOLAS KOCAKER A/K/A GENGHIS HENRY KOCAKER vs. STATE OF FLORIDA

In today's Florida Supreme Court opinions, Kocaker's conviction and sentence of death were AFFIRMED.

After a jury trial, Defendant was convicted of first-degree murder. The jury recommended a death sentence. Following a Spencer hearing, the trial court sentenced Defendant to death upon determining that the State had proven beyond a reasonable doubt the existence of several statutory aggravators. The Supreme Court affirmed the conviction and sentence, holding (1) the evidence presented at trial was sufficient to support the first-degree murder conviction; (2) under the totality of the circumstances, the death sentence in this case was proportionate; (3) Florida's protocol for execution by lethal injection is constitutional; and (4) Florida's capital sentencing process is constitutional.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

YIKES ! He's scary looking.....but what I'd expect from a killer named Genghis I suppose!

Jan
    In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Kocaker's petition for a writ of certiorari was DENIED.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Nos.: (SC10-229)
    Decision Date: January 3, 2013

The Florida Supreme Court denied Kocaker's habeas appeal yesterday but his death sentence is still vacated under Hurst after the state conceded relief.

https://law.justia.com/cases/florida...sc17-1975.html

Turkish-US inmate on death row

A court in Florida has denied the second appeal of a Turkish-American inmate, Genghis Kocaker, who was convicted of first-degree murder in the 2004 killing of a taxi driver and sentenced to death in December 2009.

Due to a Florida Supreme Court ruling in 2016, Kocaker's sentence was vacated due to the jury recommendation was not unanimous. In a resentencing hearing, Kocaker could be resentenced to death.

If the governor of the state approves the sentence, Koçaker will be executed by lethal injection.

In 2004, Koçaker had stabbed a taxi driver, cut his throat, then bound him with a seat belt, put him in the taxi’s trunk and set the car on fire. The victim died due to smoke inhalation, but the autopsy recordings showed the stab wounds contributed to his death.

Koçaker refused the homicide attributed to him during the court process and claimed that he was slandered, but his bloody undershirt in the back seat of the burning vehicle was the most substantial evidence.

23 years behind bars

Koçaker, who had been in prison six times for various crimes and spent 23 years of his life behind bars, made an appeal for the second time, claiming that he was raped in prison, got AIDS and had mental disabilities.

As a result of the investigation, Koçaker’s second appeal was rejected by the court.

In Florida, 340 people are currently awaiting execution on death row, no executions have been carried out since last August due to debates over the death penalty.

https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tu...ath-row-152305
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Member Newbie
    his name is misspelled in this topic but it's quite understandable because if you want to write his name truthfully you need a Turkish Q keyboard. His true spelled name is Cengiz Koçaker and he's an Turkish man who migrated to America. it's kind of surprised to me a Turkish dude convicted to death in America. i ve never read anything about him in Turkish press.

Edit: Oh! i found a article about him in Turkish Press. https://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/tu...ath-row-152305
    Last edited by medsarpent; 10-03-2021 at 03:15 AM.

Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information