Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Robert Joseph Long a/k/a Bobbie Joe Long a/k/a Bobby Joe Long - Florida Execution - May 23, 2019

Gov. DeSantis signs Death Warrant for Serial Killer

TALLAHASSEE (CBSMiami/NSF) – Gov. Ron DeSantis on Tuesday signed his first death warrant, with an execution scheduled May 23 for Tampa-area serial killer Robert Joseph Long, according to documents posted on the Florida Supreme Court website.

Long was sentenced to death in the May 1984 murder of Michelle Simms after picking her up on Kennedy Boulevard in Tampa.

In 1985, Long also pleaded guilty to seven additional first-degree murder charges and numerous charges for sexual batteries and kidnappings, according to a letter sent last month from Attorney General Ashley Moody to DeSantis about Long’s eligibility for execution.

Long, now 65, is serving multiple life sentences, along with the death sentence, at Union Correctional Institution.

The state Department of Corrections website indicates all eight murders occurred in 1984 in Hillsborough County, though he also has convictions on other charges from Pinellas and Pasco counties.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2019/04/2...serial-killer/
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    Scott waited until June 2011 to sign his first warrant. DeSantis beat him too it.

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    About time!

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johncocacola View Post
    Scott waited until June 2011 to sign his first warrant. DeSantis beat him too it.
    I hope at some point DeSantis said “I’m gonna make Scott look like an anti”
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

May 1, 2019

Serial killer complains to judge about being 'tortured' on death row

TAMPA, Fla. (FOX 13) - Serial killer Robert "Bobby Joe" Long had plenty to say when he spoke to a Tampa courtroom, via speakerphone Wednesday.

"I've learned of the conditions under which I would be transferred and I do not want to go under that torture for 24 hours," insisted Long.

The man - who was responsible for the murder of least eight victims and the kidnapping and torture of at least one other - had a list of complaints about his treatment behind bars.

"I've been tortured so much, judge, since I've been arrested," said Long.

Long was convicted of killing eight women in the '80s and was sent to Florida's death row in 1986.

Last week, the governor signed his death warrant. With Long's execution date looming, his attorneys are fighting to keep him from the death chamber.

They claim Long could have an adverse reaction to the cocktail of drugs used during lethal injection, making the execution cruel and unusual punishment.

Long's attorney claims during a gallbladder surgery in 2013, the anesthesia did not work properly and Long woke up during the procedure.

Now, Long plans to testify in person about it on Friday, but complained the restraints used to transport him from Starke to Tampa are too much,

"With leg irons, handcuffs, waist chains, a black box on the waist chain which goes on top of the handcuffs and locks the handcuffs in place, so there is no flexibility, no movement and that's pulled in the waist chain and pulled tight against my stomach. Also, I will have a shock box on me. That is torture," proclaimed Long.

Hillsborough Circuit Judge Michelle Sisco said her hands were tied.

"I don't control the sheriff's department and I don't tell them what to do," insisted Judge Sisco.

After speaking privately with his attorney, Long had a change of heart.

"I didn't want to go through that but my lawyer says I need to be there so I'm going to be there. Whatever they do me I'm gonna be there," said Long.

The evidentiary hearing is scheduled for Friday morning.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...d-on-death-row

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Senior Member Frequent Poster Ted's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    The man - who was responsible for the murder of least eight victims and the kidnapping and torture of at least one other - had a list of complaints about his treatment behind bars.

"I've been tortured so much, judge, since I've been arrested," said Long.
    “I’ve been tortured so much”

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A60747D9-5278-4921-8E29-48E12592A300.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	1872
    Violence and death seem to be the only answers that some people understand.

May 3, 2019

Tampa serial killer will make final appeal for stay of execution

TAMPA, Fla. (FOX 13) - After careful counseling from his attorney, convicted serial killer Bobby Joe Long will appear in person inside a Tampa courtroom on Friday. Long is scheduled to be put to death in 20 days and is now attempting to buy himself more time.

Long will make his case to a judge that the lethal injection he’s scheduled to receive would cause him unnecessary pain. At a hearing Wednesday, Long’s attorney claimed he’s likely to have an adverse reaction to the drugs the state plans to use to carry out his lethal injection.

The appearance though was nearly derailed by Long himself. During a Wednesday hearing, Long told a judge that he did not wish to attend his scheduled hearing on Friday because he claimed it would be “torture” for him to have to be transported from his jail cell to a Tampa courthouse in order to appeal for a stay of execution. After private talks with his attorney, however, Long agreed to show up.

It was a choice word from a man who’s convicted of kidnapping, raping, torturing and then brutally murdering eight women in the 1980s. For those crimes, Long was sent to Florida’s death row in 1986.

Now, more than three decades later, his death sentence is finally slated to be carried out. Long’s execution is scheduled for May 23rd. Lisa McVey, a survivor who escaped Long's clutches and because a Hillsborough County deputy, said she plans to attend the execution. Governor Ron DeSantis has already signed off on his death warrant.

Friday's hearing will be held at 9:30 a.m.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...y-of-execution

Judge rules Bobby Joe Long's execution drug not 'cruel'

TAMPA, Fla. (FOX 13) - Serial killer Bobby Joe Long can indeed be executed by lethal injection, a Hillsborough judge ruled Monday, rejecting claims that Long would have an adverse reaction to the lethal drug mix.

Attorneys for Long argued that such a reaction would amount to cruel and unusual punishment.

During a hearing Friday, a doctor from California had testified about the anesthetic drug etomidate, which is one of the first drugs administered during the execution. Dr. Steven Yun said Long should not have any an adverse reaction to the drug, based on the serial killer’s medical history.

However, Long’s attorney said his client had traumatic brain injury when he was younger and suffers from epilepsy. He argued that his condition, coupled with the cocktail of lethal drugs, could cause him to have a seizure during the execution.

During the hearing, Long's attorney challenged the doctor's expertise, pointing out he didn’t read up on the drug before his testimony.

"As a critical practicing anesthesiologist, I don't need to read basic textbooks to review my knowledge on etomidate, the same way I don't need to review my car manual to drive my car," explained Dr. Yun.

In Monday's ruling, Judge Michelle Sisco questioned some of the testimony by defense witness Dr. David Lubarsky, even referring to one of his points as "highly speculative."

"The Court finds the testimony of Dr. Yun to be more credible than that of Dr. Lubarsky," she wrote. "Even if [Long] had a seizure, the Court finds credible Dr. Lubarsky's testimony that the seizure itself is not painful, as well as Dr. Yun's testimony that [Long] would be unconcious and insensate."

In addition to rejecting the drug claim, Judge Sisco also rejected a handful of other requests by Long's team related to the upcoming exection. Any further appeals will go to the state Supreme Court.

Long is responsible for the murder of at least eight victims and kidnapping and torture of at least one other. He was convicted and sent to Florida’s death row in 1986.

Governor Ron DeSantis signed his death warrant, and his execution date was scheduled for May 23.

Lisa McVey, a survivor who escaped Long's clutches and because a Hillsborough County deputy, said she plans to attend the execution.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-...bobby-joe-long
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Did every death row inmate have a traumatic brain injury early in their life before they committed murder?

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    No, but it does seem that way at times.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information