Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Justin Ryan McMillian - Florida

Justin Ryan McMillian - Florida

Danielle Stubbs

Facts of the Crime:

In January 2009, McMillian fought with then ex-girlfriend Danielle Stubbs over her admission that she had aborted the couple's unborn child. Police say McMillian and Stubbs' relationship had been marred by violence and jealousy for years, and things came to a head on January 11th. That's when McMillian attacked Stubbs inside her townhome on Pineverde Lane. Days later, when police sought McMillian for questioning, he led officers--including U.S. Marshals--on a wild chase. At one point, he opened fire on police, damaging a JSO patrol car.

At trial, McMillian testified in his own defense, admitting that he fired two shots in anger the night of his former girlfriend's death, but did not intend to kill her. McMillian told the jury that Danielle Stubbs had told him she'd had an abortion. He said he was angry, he had a gun in his waistband and the lights in her bedroom were off. "That's when I made the biggest mistake of my life," McMillian said. "Not intentionally, but I did fire in the direction that she was at. She says, 'I knew you were going to leave anyway, so I killed your child,'" McMillian said. "That caught me off-guard."

McMillian was sentenced to death in Duval County on October 1, 2010.

June 16, 2010

Slain Woman's Brother Led From Court
    Man On Trial For Killing 26-Year-Old Ex-Girlfriend In January 2009

The first morning of testimony in the trial of a man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend was disrupted when the victim's brother got up, yelled and charged toward the front of the courtroom.

Justin McMillian is on trial accused of first-degree murder in the death of his ex-girlfriend, Danielle Stubbs, in January 2009.

A jury was seated on Monday and following opening statements Tuesday morning, Stubb's mother, Janice, took the stand and began to describe how she found her daughter dead in a pool of blood.

The testimony was apparently too much for the victim's brother to take. He stood up, yelled and began moving toward the front of the courtroom. He was restrained by family members, then police, who led him from the courtroom.

After order was restored to the courtroom, McMillian's attorney requested a mistrial. Judge Laurence Gooding set a 1 p.m. hearing on the motion. Within an hour of the incident, the public defender's office had subpoenaed a copy of the video of the outburst from Channel 4.

After a second outburst later in the afternoon, the judge gave McMillian the option of leaving the courtroom for the remainder of the trial.

"Your honor, I got no problems being here. I'm the one accused of her murder," McMillian told the judge. "At the same time, you've got to understand this is the same jury and they going to find me guilty."

Prosecutors said they have a strong case that McMillian killed Stubbs in her townhouse. Police said they also made a ballistics match between the bullets that killed Stubbs and a gun connected with McMillian.

A witness may be able to place McMillian at Stubbs' home the night she was killed.

Prosecutors plan to seek the death penalty if McMillian is convicted.

Three days after the slaying, McMillian was under surveillance by a U.S. Marshal's Service task force when he was shot in an exchange of gunfire with officers after a traffic stop. No police officers were wounded and McMillian recovered.

Friends and family of Stubbs said she and McMillian had been dating until she sought to end the relationship. Stubbs was found slain in her townhouse on Pineverde Lane by her brother and parents.

Janice Stubbs has described McMillian as possessive and untrustworthy, although she said her daughter didn't complain of any abuse.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23901731/detail.html

Edited

Testimony Continues In Murder Trial

Testimony continues Wednesday in the murder trial of a man accused of killing his ex-girlfriend.

Prosecutors were set to call two more witnesses in the case against Justin McMillian, including a detective who interviewed him.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23920774/detail.html

June 21, 2010

Man Guilty Of First-Degree Murder

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A jury took about six hours Friday to find Justin McMillian guilty of first-degree murder in the shooting death of his ex-girlfriend in January 2009.

McMillian was also found guilty of second-degree attempted murder of an officer when he shot at an officer during a traffic stop three days after the slaying.

The family of victim Danielle Stubbs said they were gratified with the guilty verdict, but the trial was even more difficult for them after the victim's brother was removed from the courtroom after an emotional outburst on Tuesday, the first day of testimony. The family said it was worried the outburst would result in a mistrial.

"I had to keep my children out of court because we couldn't have another outburst," said the victim's father, Harold Stubbs. "I didn't want a mistrial, so I kept everybody out except for me and my wife, and it prevailed. So it's been bad, but it's good now."

McMillian's attorney, Quentin Till, said he believes it should have been declared a mistrial.

"That had an affect on the jury, in my opinion," Till said. "And then it's a culmination, because there's a lot of other issues that make this a very effective appeal."

The same jury will return to the courtroom later this month for the penalty phase of the trial. Prosecutors are asking for the death penalty.

McMillian testified in his own defense Thursday, admitting that he fired two shots in anger the night of his former girlfriend's death, but did not intend to kill her.

McMillian told the jury that Danielle Stubbs had told him she'd had an abortion. He said he was angry, he had a gun in his waistband and the lights in her bedroom were off.

"That's when I made the biggest mistake of my life," McMillian said. "Not intentionally, but I did fire in the direction that she was at.

"She says, 'I knew you were going to leave anyway, so I killed your child,'" McMillian said. "That caught me off-guard."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/23947082/detail.html

June 30, 2010

Jury: Man Who Killed Ex Should Die

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for a man convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend last year.

The penalty phase of the trial began Wednesday for Justin McMillian, who was found guilty last week of first-degree murder in the shooting death of Danielle Stubbs in January 2009.

McMillian was also found guilty of second-degree attempted murder of an officer when he shot at an officer during a traffic stop three days after the slaying.

The jury was expected to begin deliberations Wednesday afternoon.

McMillian testified in his own defense during the trial, admitting that he fired two shots in anger the night of his former girlfriend's death, but did not intend to kill her.

McMillian told the jury that Stubbs had told him she'd had an abortion. He said he was angry, he had a gun in his waistband and the lights in her bedroom were off.

"That's when I made the biggest mistake of my life," McMillian said. "Not intentionally, but I did fire in the direction that she was at.

"She says, 'I knew you were going to leave anyway, so I killed your child,'" McMillian said. "That caught me off-guard."

http://www.news4jax.com/news/24095922/detail.html

June 30, 2010

Jury recommends death penalty in McMillian case

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- A jury has recommended the death penalty today for Justin McMillian for killing his girlfriend and firing shots at police.

A hearing in Duval County Court started this morning with testimony from Danielle Stubbs sister and father. Her family read victim impact statements and emotionally broke down in front of jurors in court today. Danielle Stubbs worked at a Naval Hospital and had three siblings. Stubbs was 26 when she was killed, she graduated from Orange Park High School.

Dr. Harry Krop, a forensic psychologist, took the stand as an expert in court this morning. Krop, says he did an evaluation and determined Justin McMillian was competent to stand trial. During the psychological evaluation, McMillian told Dr. Krop, he had a temper and the day Danielle died, they were broken up. McMillian admitted to going to Danielle's town house to get his gun. He said, the two argued about people they were dating, McMillian then told Dr. Krop, he pulled out the gun and shot her while she was sitting in bed, then he admitted to shooting her a second time.

Edward McMillian, the defendant's father also took the stand today. He said Justin had several jobs and was hard working at the time of Danielle's murder. The jury is expected to vote and hand over a recommendation to the Judge on whether McMillian should spend life in prison or be put to death later today.

McMillian was charged with Danielle's murder earlier this month, he was also charged with Attempted Murder, police say when they were trying to arrest McMillian he fired shots at them.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...V_A.cspx?rss=1

[Edited]

August 6, 2010

Law & Disorder: Attempted escapees have violent records

The four inmates who attempted to break out of the Duval County jail this week were all in prison for violent offenses, and one faces a possible death penalty for murdering his pregnant ex-girlfriend.

On Wednesday police released the names of the four men they said were involved in the failed jailbreak Monday. Police said the men overpowered one corrections officer and fought with two others inside a control room before being subdued. All three officers had to be taken to a hospital.

Justin Ryan McMillian, 26, was convicted of shooting and killing his ex-girlfriend. The jury recommended he get the death penalty, but his sentencing has not yet been decided.

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2...iolent-records

October 1, 2010

Death for man who killed ex over abortion

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Justin McMillian will die for taking the life of the woman he used to love.

On Friday, a Duval County judge gave 26-year-old McMillian the death penalty.

In January 2009, he fought with then ex-girlfriend Danielle Stubbs over her admission that she had aborted the couple's unborn child.

Police say McMillian and Stubbs' relationship had been marred by violence and jealousy for years, and things came to a head on January 11th. That's when McMillian attacked Stubbs inside her townhome on Pineverde Lane.

Days later, when police sought McMillian for questioning, he led officers--including U.S. Marshals--on a wild chase. At one point, he opened fire on police, damaging a JSO patrol car.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/content...j7g.cspx?rss=1

Oral arguments will be held on the 11th of April.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/p...es/index.shtml

After reading the briefs, I reckon McMillian's sentence will be reduced.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/p...168/index.html

JUSTIN RYAN MCMILLIAN v STATE OF FLORIDA

In today's Florida Supreme Court opinions, McMillian's conviction and sentence of death were AFFIRMED.

McMillian was sentenced to death for premeditated first degree murder of his girlfriend. He has given at least five different accounts of events relating to the murder; no two are wholly consistent with each other, and none can be fully reconciled with the evidence. The evidence collected at the scene of a shootout between McMillian and police and the scene of the murder, showed that McMillian’s gun was used in the murder. Evidence also included a security video from a convenience store near the victim’s townhome and phone records and McMillian’s confession. McMillian was approximately one year into a five-year term of felony probation stemming from an incident in Georgia in which McMillian fled police, who were attempting to pull him over, at speeds up to 120 m.p.h. through a residential neighborhood. The Florida Supreme Court affirmed the conviction and sentence.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Fla. Supreme Court affirms death sentence

The Florida Supreme Court recently affirmed the death penalty sentence for a Jacksonville man convicted of killing his ex-girlfriend in January 2009.

Justin McMillian murdered 26-year-old Danielle Stubbs, who was found dead in her town home by her brother and parents.

The murder stemmed from an argument about people the two were dating, prosecutors said. They said McMillian and Stubbs were broken up when he shot her to death.

Three days after the killing, McMillian was under the surveillance of the U.S. Marshals Service and was pulled over by authorities in a traffic stop. He shot at Jacksonville police officers and deputies with the U.S. Marshals Service. No officers were hurt.

McMillian was shot multiple times and recovered.

He was also convicted of attempted murder for the gun battle with police.

The 28-year-old was sentenced in October 2010 and is on death row at the Florida State Prison.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Fla-Sup...z/-/index.html
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information