Thread: Michael Harrison Hunt - Florida Death Row

Michael Harrison Hunt - Florida Death Row

Alexandra “Lexie” Elise Peck

Michael Harrison Hunt

May 10, 2019

Hunt charged with murder, attempted murder X3 in Cove quadruple shooting

By Mike Cazalas
    Panama City News Herald

PANAMA CITY — Michael Hunt, the man initially sought as a “person of interest” in the April 4 quadruple shooting on Allen Avenue that left one woman dead and three people critically injured was charged Friday afternoon with first-degree murder and three counts of attempted felony murder, according to Panama City police.

Panama City police announced the arrest of Hunt on a charge of first-degree murder in the death of Alexandra “Lexie” Elise Peck, 19. She was one of four people shot late April 4, with three surviving with critical injuries. Hunt is charged with attempted felony murder in each of those shootings. In addition, police have now also charged Hunt with armed burglary of a dwelling and two counts of failure to register as a sex offender.

Hunt has been in custody on other charges since April 5, one day after four people were shot in the 100 block of Allen Avenue. He was caught the day after the shooting but until Friday was charged with Human Trafficking and
    Sexual Assault from another case, as well as being held without bond for failure to appear on a charge of “unlawful sex acts with certain minors” and aggravated assault with a firearm. Hunt appeared for that hearing April 1, then disappeared after the prosecutor announced there was a new warrant out for him for sexual battery but a hard copy of it was not on hand.

Three days later the shootings occurred.

The Panama City Police Department has since been working with a bevy of agencies on the case — they maintained the crime scene for a week to gather evidence — which left many in the Cove area frightened and wondering what had actually happened, particularly after Hunt was picked up the day after the shootings but not charged in connection with them until today.

Police have still released few details about the shootings and did not take any questions today after issuing the press release. They have said the case is of such a nature that public records laws do not apply to much of the information sought and prevents them from releasing certain details. They have also said the public has provided “invaluable” information to investigators.

Hunt, 53 is a registered sex offender who was set for a hearing April 1 on a new sex charge from last fall. Hunt was at the hearing, but when confusion over a new sex charge brought the hearing to a temporary halt, Hunt was gone when court reconvened and the warrant for sexual battery had been found.

Courtroom video obtained by The News Herald shows Hunt and his appointed attorney at the time standing at one podium and the prosecutor at another.

https://www.newsherald.com/news/2019...ruple-shooting
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Prosecutors seeking death penalty in Hunt case

By mypanhandle.com

A man Panama City police say shot and killed one person and injured three others in now facing the death penalty.

Prosecutors confirmed Thursday that they are seeking the death penalty Michael Harrison Hunt.

Investigators were searching for Hunt after he walked away from the Bay County courthouse during an April 1st court session. During the hearing, Hunt learned of a new warrant for his arrest but due to confusion about the warrant he was able to slip away.

While Hunt was missing the shooting happened. Hunt was declared a person of interest and he was arrested as he returned to Bay County.

https://www.mypanhandle.com/local-ne...-in-hunt-case/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Mass shooting suspect says evidence proves his innocence

A local man facing the death penalty in a Panama City mass shooting case has spoken out for the 1st time.

Michael Hunt is accused of shooting 3 people and killing a 4th person at a shooting on Allen Avenue in April of 2019.

“The truth is that I did not do it,” Hunt said. “It is clear in there all of the previous statements inconsistent.”

In 2011, Hunt was sentenced to prison for trafficking in drugs, grand theft and living off the earnings of a prostitute. At the time he was accused of murder, Hunt was living in Panama City and running a business called Polecats.

Sex Offender, Person of Interest in Homicide Owned Pole-Dancing Venue

“Polecats is a dance studio. Because of the sign, I think people passed it off as being a strip club. It’s not a strip club,” Hunt said. “It was a dance studio and we held entertainment events. we allowed people to rent out the building.”

In September of 2018, Hunt was charged with unlawful sexual activity with certain minors. During a court hearing in April of 2019, Hunt learned that a warrant was out for his arrest. He left court and disappeared for several days.

While he was gone 4 people were shot at a home in Panama City. 1 of them died. Hunt said he left town to raise money for a bond.

“I was going to meet with my ex to get more money. She lived in Virginia, but I also went to Alabama and I went to Atlanta in order to try and get money,” Hunt said. “I figured I would need at least another 5 or 10,000 dollars to bond out.”

Hunt said he did not commit this crime and the victim’s boyfriend convinced her to file the charge in the sex case. He said this same man convinced the witnesses in the shooting to change their accounts of the crime.

“She explains that she saw the culprits neither one of them was Hunt. She knew for a fact it wasn’t Hunt,” Hunt said. “Somewhere in the aftermath, it was discussed, look let’s put it on Michael Hunt. Even in the police interview, they’re saying, ‘Oh we know Mike did this but it needs to come out of your mouth.’ They’re trying to coerce her to change her statement.”

Hunt said he kicked this man and the woman accusing him of a sex crime out of his house when some money went missing. he adds that this other man may have had enemies.

“I know he has people out there that don’t like him. Nobody has investigated the fact that this guy had three people come into his house on Oct. 11. I think was after the storm and attempted to kill him so he said,” Hunt said. “Whoever he has beef with or drama with. Whatever happened with him, the first person he wants to accuse was me. Especially, after his girlfriend makes this allegation which I believe I’m sure was coerced by him according to all the documents.”

He also said that the shooting could have stemmed from a robbery.

“They were into a lot of drugs at that house. There’s is a lot going on at that residence that hasn’t been exposed,” Hunt said.

News 13 has asked for records about any incidents at the house prior to the shooting. Although those records are not yet available, law enforcement sources said that there are few if any reports about other crimes at the home.

Hunt also says there is other evidence that proves his innocence. According to Hunt, a line up was done and the witness or witnesses could not pick him out. Police also can’t use the location tracking in Hunt’s phone to say where he was when the shooting happened.

“The second thing is that when you look at the ATT records my cellular phone wasn’t even on from 3 o’clock that day till all the way to the next day,” Hunt said. “My cell phone wasn’t even on at that time.”

Prosecutor Bob Sombathy sent a reponse to News 13 about Hunt’s comments.

“In order to preserve the integrity of the jury selection process I can’t comment on cases before trial,” he wrote. “As you know from the initial police briefing on this case it’s also vital this office protects confidential information regarding victims.”

Hunt is scheduled to return to court in August for a pre-trial hearing. His trial has not yet been scheduled.

(source: WMBB news)
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Emotions run high on the first day of Michael Hunt murder trial

By Courtney Fegley
    WMMB News

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WMBB) – After three full days of jury selection, the Michael Harrison Hunt first-degree murder trial began Friday morning at the Bay County Courthouse.

Hunt is accused of killing a teenage girl and wounding three other people back in April 2019. Prosecutors said in their opening statements they believed Hunt’s motive was to kill everyone who could testify against him in another case. He was arrested in September 2018 for sexual assault on a minor. Police believe Hunt was trying to kill his victim but shot the wrong girl.

“The other man, seeing Alexandra Peck, a red-headed girl, run past and go towards the back room, gave chase he went into that room like pure nightmare fuel,” Bay County Prosecutor Peter Overstreet said. “Danny Scoggins heard his daughter crying, ‘Daddy, help me. Please don’t shoot me.’ Two shots.”

The first witness to take the stand following opening statements was the father of the murder victim Danny Scoggins.

Scoggins claimed Hunt and another unidentified man came to his house on Allen Avenue on the evening of April 4, 2019, posing as pizza delivery men. Scoggins is one of the four shooting victims. He said Hunt shot him in the throat, leaving him to bleed out.

Scoggins recalls the horrifying moments that followed.

“I heard my daughter, Lexie,” Scoggins said. “She said ‘Dad, help me’ and she said ‘Please don’t kill me.’ Then I heard shots. I knew at that point I had to get out of the house because I knew if I didn’t die there he was going to shoot me again on the way out.”

Alexandra “Lexie” Elise Peck died when she was shot twice in the back of her head at point-blank range. Scoggins suffers from his injuries to this day. He needs a trach to breathe and speak. The other two survivors, whose identities are being protected, did not name Hunt, saying the gunman was a tall skinny black man. Hunt is being charged with first-degree capital murder, premeditated murder, and felony murder. Prosecutors are pursuing the death penalty.

https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/loc...-murder-trial/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Man found guilty in Panama City murder and shooting

By Candace Newman
    WJHG News

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WJHG/WECP) - Court records show Wednesday afternoon, a jury found Michael Harrison Hunt guilty of first-degree murder, three counts of attempted first-degree murder, and armed burglary.

The state is seeking the death penalty in this case.

The sentencing will take place Friday, where a jury will determine if Hunt will indeed receive the death penalty.

This is in connection to the April 2019 killing of a woman and the shooting of three other people.

One victim who survived being shot in the throat, testified in the case this week, speaking through the trachea.

He testified that he’s had dozens of surgeries.

Testimony also indicated the two other surviving victims were seriously injured.

Investigators say Hunt and another suspect, who’s not been taken into custody, went into the Allen Avenue home, intending to kill a witness to Hunt being involved in sex crimes.

Court records show Hunt was wanted for sexual battery when the shooting happened.

Testimony indicated the woman who was shot and killed was not the alleged witness.

Court records show Hunt pretended to be a pizza delivery driver in order to get into the home.

Testimony indicated Hunt was known to the people in the home.

Hunt will face charges for separate sex crimes in a different case.

https://www.wjhg.com/2023/09/13/man-...rder-shooting/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Jury recommends the death penalty for Michael Hunt

By Courtney Fegley
    WMBB News

PANAMA CITY, Fla. (WMBB) – “We, the jury, find by a vote of ten to two that Michael Harrison Hunt should be sentenced to death.”

10 of the 12 jurors said they believe Michael Hunt should die for shooting and killing Lexi Peck. They’d already convicted him of first-degree murder and 3 counts of attempted first-degree murder on Wednesday. Hunt shot the 4 victims on the night of April 4, 2019, at their home on Allen Avenue.

Prosecutors say he wanted to kill potential witnesses who could testify against him for sexual abuse of a minor. The death sentence was the outcome they’d pursued from the start. They were able to convince jurors that Hunt’s crimes were cold-blooded and especially heinous.

“Alexandra Peck experienced the torturous anxiety and fear of impending death. You should really be looking at this from how she spent the last moments of her life,” said State Attorney Peter Overstreet.

The Scoggins family and friends wore “Justice for Lexi” shirts while waiting to hear the jury’s recommendation. Emotion filled the room so much it was almost tangible. Audible sighs and quiet weeps were heard from the family once they learned Hunt’s punishment. After the jury’s recommendation, State Attorney Larry Basford said he had mixed emotions considering the circumstances.

“It’s sort of a mixed bag of emotions. Yes, we are very proud to have been part of making the criminal justice system work for Lexi’s family and to achieve some measure of justice for them. Still, there’s another part of us that we cannot, no matter what we do, we cannot bring her back.”

The Scoggins family and friends have peace of mind knowing Hunt is behind bars, but all they want is their beloved Lexi back.

“Knowing that we got justice for her helps a lot,” said Lexi’s parents Danny and Jenna Scoggins. “I’ll be able to sleep now. I love her and miss her. We love her. We love her so much.”

https://www.mypanhandle.com/news/cri...-michael-hunt/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Thank god for that new law or else there would never be a new death sentence in Florida ever again, probably.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Sentencing set for Tuesday in local death penalty case

By Candace Newman
    WJHG/WECP

PANAMA CITY, Fla. - On Tuesday, a Panama City man is set to learn whether he’ll get the death penalty.

Judge Shonna Young Gay will make the final ruling in the Michael Harrison Hunt case.

The registered sex offender was convicted in September of murdering 19-year-old Alexandra “Lexie” Peck.

Prosecutors said he originally targeted a possible witness to sex crimes he’s accused of.

Jurors recommended the death penalty.

The latest data from the Death Penalty Information Center shows people sentenced to death spend about 19 years on death row if you’re considering the national statistics from 2020.

Florida has gotten national attention recently when it comes to the death penalty.

Governor Ron DeSantis signed a law back in April, allowing the death penalty to be imposed if the majority of the jury votes for it.

This came after the Parkland shooter received life in prison when the jury’s vote for the death penalty wasn’t unanimous.

Many victims’ parents spoke out against it.

Just a few days ago, the state supreme court upheld the death penalty for Markeith Loyd, convicted of killing an Orlando officer.

That looks different from what we saw in 2017 when the Florida Supreme Court gave Robert Bailey a new penalty phase because the jury vote wasn’t unanimous.

Bailey was convicted of killing a Panama City Beach Police Sergeant, Kevin Kight.

That case is set to go before a jury in May of 2024.

In the Hunt case, jurors voted 10-2 for the death penalty.

Peck’s parents said after that September sentencing that they’ll be satisfied with whatever the judge decides.

The sentencing hearing is set for 2 p.m. Tuesday.

https://www.wjhg.com/2023/11/20/sent...outputType=amp

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    Thank god for that new law or else there would never be a new death sentence in Florida ever again, probably.
    Yep, I agree totally. I've always advocated for an '8-4,-or-more' jury recommendation for eligibility for the death penalty. If that were the law in AZ during the Jodi Arias trial, she would have been sent to death row (first jury voted 8-4 for death sentence, second jury vited 11-1 fir the death sentence). If that were the law in CO during the James Holmes trial, he would have bern sentenced to death (jury voted 11-1 for the death penalty). If that were the law in FL during the Nikolas Cruz trial, he would have been sentenced to death. etc, etc, etc...
    I don't care whether murderers go to heaven or hell; I just care about getting them there.

You can thank Timothy Ring for that. His stupid complaints led to Hurst and unanimous death sentences nationwide except for Alabama.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information