Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Franklin Mosley, Jr. - Florida Death Row

John Franklin Mosley, Jr. - Florida Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

John Mosley had a son, Jay-Quan, with Lynda Wilkes although he was married to another woman at the time. In order to receive Medicaid benefits, Wilkes was required to establish the paternity of her son. Mosley refused to take the paternity test and was ordered to pay for child support. Prior to the murder of Wilkes and Jay-Quan, Mosley had asked Bernard Griffin, a fifteen-year-old acquaintance, if he would consider killing a baby and provided details, but Griffin refused.

On April 21, 2004, Mosley asked Wilkes if he could take his son to purchase new clothes. On April 22, 2004, they met at J.C. Penny. Mosley then put them both in his Suburban and picked up Griffin. They accompanied Mosley on a drive, which ended on an unfrequented road in Jacksonville. Mosley then strangled Wilkes to death, placed a bag over her head, and put her in the back of his car. He also placed Jay-Quan in a garbage bag next to his mother, and covered their bodies with a tarp. At the time of interrogation, Griffin reported that baby had stopped crying stopped shortly after it was put in the bag. Mosley dropped Griffin off, and then went to his job.

Around 11:00 p.m., Mosley left work to pick up Griffin. Griffin commented that Mosley’s car had a foul smell. His comment led Mosley to drive outside of Jacksonville, south of Waldo, to get rid of Wilkes’ body. On a dirt road, Mosley poured lighter fluid on the body and lit it on fire. He then drove to Ocala to dump Jay-Quan’s body in a dumpster behind a Winn-Dixie grocery store. Television reports regarding Wilkes’ case prompted Griffin to tell his mother that he knew about the murder. He spoke with the police and showed them where Wilkes and Jay-Quan were killed and disposed of. They found and recovered Wilkes’ burned body. Using Wilkes’ watch, which had stopped at 2:29—it was unknown whether the watch stopped during the morning or evening—the police matched that time with a phone call that was made at 2:24 a.m. from Mosley’s cell phone. The antenna used for the call was located near Wilkes’ body. The medical examiner was also able to link blood found in Mosley’s Suburban to Wilkes’. He ascertained that she had been strangled to death, because blood from her nose and mouth had a pinkish color. The police were unable to find the baby’s body.

Mosley was sentenced to death in Duval County on June 30, 2006.

The Florida Supreme Court upheld Mosley's death sentence on direct appeal in an opinion issued on July 16, 2009.

Opinion is here:

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d.../sc06-1408.pdf

Mosley filed a petition for writ of certiorari in the United States Supreme Court on 12/22/09. This petition was denied on 10/04/10.

On 08/06/10, Mosley filed a 3.851 motion in the State Circuit Court. On 11/17/10, the court ordered to strike the motion.

http://www.floridacapitalcases.state...Htm/J30192.htm

JOHN F. MOSLEY V STATE OF FLORIDA, JOHN F. MOSLEY V JULIE JONES ect.

In today's opinions, the Florida Supreme Court AFFIRMED the postconviction court's DENIAL of Mosely's motion for a new trial but granted Mosely a new penalty based on HURST v STATE.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Man convicted of 2004 murders wants new trial

John Mosley files motion asking for new trial, saying there's new evidence

By Kent Justice
    WJXT News4JAX

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A notable murder case almost 15 years ago is now being challenged by the man convicted.

John Mosley wants a new trial, and points to the former medical examiner in Duval County as his reason.

Mosley was convicted and sentenced to death for the 2004 murders of Lynda Wilkes and her 10-month-old baby, Jay-Quan Mosley. Wilkes wanted child support from Mosley, who denied the child was his.

Wilkes and Jay-Quan disappeared in April 2004. Her burned body was found a week later. The baby’s body was never found. The search included dozens of police officers combing through a landfill in Valdosta, Georgia.

Mosley was a flamboyant defendant, who insisted all along that a teenager who was charged as an accomplice was the real killer.

That teenager, Bernard Griffin, testified against Mosley at trial, telling the jury in detail how he committed the murders, strangling Wilkes and suffocating Jay-Quan.

Mosley was convicted of both murders in 2005.

The death penalty vote was 8-4. The Florida Supreme Court affirmed the conviction, but ordered a new sentencing hearing.

Now, Mosley has filed his own motion, asking for a new trial -- saying there’s new evidence. He’s raising the issue of the mental competence of former Duval County Chief Medical Examiner Margarita Arruza.

Arruza resigned in 2011 as chief medical examiner. The state attorney's office said it was made aware of her "forgetfulness" in Oct. 2010. Later, the I-TEAM found out from current Duval County Chief Medical Examiner Valerie Rao that there were problems with Aruzza's forgetfulness dating back to 2008. It's something the staff did not report because Arruza was doing her job.

Mosley's motion says there's new evidence that the state attorney's office knew about Arruza's condition, but didn't disclosure it during his trial. He says in his filing that she ruled Wilkes' death "undetermined," but was convinced by prosecutors to testify it was by strangulation. The body was burned and had been scavenged by animals.

Mosley says Arruza also falsified a document on the transfer of Wilkes' body from Alachua County, where it was found, to Jacksonville. Mosley further claims that Arruza was not accredited at the time of his trial.

Mosley says Griffin lied to the jury after a “secret meeting” with prosecutors.

He says all of those grounds should mean a new trial for him.

A hearing in Mosley’s resentencing case is scheduled for March 20.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/man-co...ants-new-trial
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Convicted killer wants to represent himself in re-sentencing

John Mosley convicted of killing woman, baby in 2004 want to avoid death

By Frank Powers
    WJXT News4JAX

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A man convicted of killing a woman and her baby nearly 15 years ago told a Duval County judge Tuesday that he wants to act as his own lawyer in his re-sentencing trial.

John Mosley Jr. was sentenced to death for the 2004 murder of Lynda Wilkes and 10-month-old Jay-Quan. The baby's body was never found.

Mosley was ordered to receive a new sentencing hearing because the jury did not vote unanimously for the death penalty -- which is now required under new Florida law.

In Tuesday's hearing, Mosley tried to convince the judge he's able to represent himself. The judge initially agreed, but then changed her mind and reassigned a defense team.

Last week, Mosley filed his own motion, asking for a new trial based on new evidence. That motion was denied. The re-sentencing process starts July 24.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/man-co...nts-new-trial_
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Mosley is listed as back on death row on the 2022 death row roster.

https://www.naacpldf.org/wp-content/...Winter2022.pdf
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Resentenced to death on the 10th of February 2020.

Oral arguments held on direct appeal on the 2nd of June 2021.

http://onlinedocketssc.flcourts.org/...CaseNumber=195

The Florida Supreme Court has affirmed Mosley’s conviction and death sentence on direct appeal

https://law.justia.com/cases/florida.../sc20-195.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Distributed for conference March 17, 2023.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/22-6488.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information