Thread: Phillup Alan Partin - Florida

Phillup Alan Partin - Florida

Joshan Marie Ashbrook, 16

Summary of Offense:

Convicted and sentenced to death in the 2002 slaying of 16-year-old Joshan Ashbrook. A Pasco County jury found Partin guilty of first-degree murder. The same jury then voted 9-3 to recommend he be sentenced to death; Circuit Judge William Webb handed down the death sentence.

According to trial testimony, Partin picked up Ashbrook as she was hitchhiking along U.S. 19 on July 31, 2002. Partin and Ashbrook spent the day fishing and swimming with Partin's daughter, Patrisha, then seven years old, before returning to the New Port Richey house where he and his daughter were living.

Partin, his daughter and Ashbrook remained at the house until that night. Prosecutors think Ashbrook was killed between 9 p.m. and midnight. The next morning, workers found Ashbrook's body in woods off Shady Hills Road. Partin dropped his daughter off in Wauchula nine days later and left the state. Investigators tracked him to Fayetteville, North Carolina, where he was arrested in October 2003.

Partin was sentenced to death in Pasco County on December 2, 2008.

Direct appeal filed on December 15, 2008.

Oral arguments for direct appeal are scheduled for June 18, 2011.

The Florida Supreme Court had not respond to the direct appeal until August 30, 2010.

PHILLUP ALAN PARTIN vs. THE STATE OF FLORIDA

Today the Florida Supreme Court affirmed Partin's conviction and death sentence on direct appeal.

Supreme Court upholds death sentence in Pasco case

The state's highest court upheld the first-degree murder conviction and death sentence of a man who killed a 16-year-old hitchhiker in 2002.

Phillup Alan Partin, 46, picked up Joshan Ashbrook on July 31, 2002, in his maroon pickup. Ashbrook lived with her family in New Port Richey and was a habitual drug user and runaway.

Her body was found the next morning in some brush off Shady Hills Road. She had been stabbed twice in her right arm, five times in her left hand and six times in her face. Partin's DNA was found in a cut on her thumb.

He fled Florida and was arrested more than a year later in North Carolina.

After the 2008 trial, Judge William Webb called the crime "especially heinous" and followed a jury's recommendation to send Partin to death row after he'd been convicted of the murder.

He appealed, saying the judge erred in denying several motions and in admitting a DNA expert's testimony, as well as in not letting jurors see the indictment or have it read to them. Partin also alleged the judge failed to give jurors proper instructions during the penalty phase and that the death sentence didn't fit the crime.

"None of these claims warrant relief," the state Supreme Court wrote in a ruling issued Thursday.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/briefs/...o-case/1204325

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Partin's petition for writ of certiorari was DENIED.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

On April 3, 2014, Partin filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/flo...cv00798/296068

Sentence was reversed due to Hurst in 2017.

The Forensic Files episode on Phillup Partin

Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information