Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eric Kurt Patrick - Florida

Eric Kurt Patrick - Florida

Facts of the Crime:

A Broward judge sentenced a Boca Raton man to death for hog-tying, beating, strangling and robbing a 72-year-old man in Oakland Park. In February 2009, a Broward County jury convicted Eric Kurt Patrick, then 46, of first-degree murder for the September 2005 slaying of Steven Schumacher. In June 2009, the same jurors voted 7-5 to recommend the death sentence. Circuit Judge Ilona Holmes imposed the death sentence, said prosecutor Shari Tate. Police said Patrick planned to rob Schumacher, an openly gay man who frequented the Cubby Hole bar in Fort Lauderdale. The 10-time convicted felon confessed to the killing, saying he beat Schumacher in the man's home because he made a pass at him. Defense attorneys had urged jurors to spare Patrick's life by detailing accounts of his "systematic, brutal, sadistic treatment" as a child. But Tate argued that Patrick's sad childhood did not outweigh the brutality of the murder. Patrick methodically hog-tied Schumacher, knocked three teeth out of his mouth, and pummeled and strangled him, Tate said. Schumacher even left to get crack cocaine and returned to smoke it, while Schumacher lay dying in his own bathtub, she said.

Patrick was sentenced to death in Broward County on October 9, 2009.

ERIC KURT PATRICK v STATE OF FLORIDA

In today's Florida Supreme Court opinions, Patrick's conviction and sentence of death were AFFIRMED on direct appeal.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Patrick's petition for writ of certiorari was DENIED.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Nos.: (SC09-2016)
    Decision Date: December 6, 2012

Today the Florida Supreme Court ordered a new penalty phase for Patrick regarding Hurst.They also granted a couple of his claims about juror bias.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d...8/sc16-801.pdf

Florida: Death Row Inmate Wins Hearing Due to Juror Comments

A Florida man sentenced to death for hog-tying and beating up a man is getting a chance to challenge his conviction because a juror said gay people are "morally depraved"

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man sentenced to death for hog-tying and bludgeoning a man is getting a chance to challenge his conviction because a juror said gay people are "morally depraved."

The Florida Supreme Court on Thursday ordered two new hearings for 55-year-old Eric Kurt Patrick. Patrick was convicted in 2009 of beating Steven Schumacher to death. He told authorities that Schumacher attempted to have sex with him.

The court ruled that Patrick deserved a new hearing on his death sentence because a jury did not unanimously recommend the death penalty.

But justices also said a lower court should hold a new evidentiary hearing because Patrick's attorney did not challenge a juror who said that if a person was gay, then they might be "morally depraved" enough to lie, steal and kill.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/florida/articles/2018-06-14/florida-death-row-inmate-wins-hearing-due-to-juror-comments
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

This is the third case from a third state in a three week period that deals with alleged juror bias over homosexuality. It seems a trend is developing, last year it was a fight over the age of 21 now its over this.

ERIC KURT PATRICK v STATE OF FLORIDA

In today's opinions, the Florida Supreme Court affirmed the order denying postconviction relief on Patrick's claim of ineffective assistance of counsel for failure to challenge a biased juror.

Distributed for conference May 27, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-7214.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Numbers: (SC19-140)
    Decision Date: June 4, 2020
    Rehearing Denied: September 18, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-7214.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information