Thread: Richard Barry Randolph aka Abdul-Sajjad Muh - Florida Death Row

Richard Barry Randolph aka Abdul-Sajjad Muh - Florida Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

Richard Randolph was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Minnie Ruth McCollum.

Minnie Ruth McCollum managed a Handy-Way convenience store in Patatka, where Richard Randolph used to work. On August 15, 1988, witnesses Terry Sorrell, Dorothy Patilla and Deborah Patilla, saw Randolph wearing an employee shirt and locking the front door of the Handy-Way convenience store. The women questioned Randolph about why the store was closed and where McCollum was. Randolph told the women that McCollum’s car had broken down and McCollum had borrowed his car. He informed the women he had fixed McCollum’s car and was going to pick her up. He then left the store. The three women looked in the window of the store. They saw that the security camera was pulled out of its normal location and wires were in the trashcan. The women noted the store was in disarray with the trashcan overturned and the counter disordered. They called the sheriff’s office and reported the situation.

A deputy responded to the call and broke a window to gain entry to the store. The deputy found McCollum, who was alive and moaning, lying on her back with blood coming from the back of her neck and head. McCollum was also naked from the waist down. The deputy had her transported to the hospital immediately. After leaving the convenience store, Randolph drove to the home of Norma Janene Betts, his girlfriend and the mother of their daughter. Betts testified that Randolph told her he had robbed the convenience store and attacked McCollum. Randolph also told her he was going to a store in Jacksonville to borrow money from the manager of a grocery store and to cash in lottery tickets. According to Betts, he promised to return for her and their daughter and take them to North Carolina.

Randolph, however, was arrested at the grocery store while he was awaiting his money advancement. Detective William Hord testified as to what Randolph told them after his arrest. Randolph told the police he went to the convenience store with a toy gun, which he hid behind the store. He told police that he knew the stores routine and attempted to rob the safe while the manager was attending to the gas pumps and would not see him. McCollum, the manager, returned quickly from the gas pumps and saw Randolph at the safe. A struggle ensued between the two. Randolph claimed he dragged McCollum into the back room and hit her until she stopped moving.

When Randolph saw McCollum begin to move again, he took the drawstring out of his hooded sweatshirt and strangled her with it until she stopped moving. Randolph was not able to open the safe, so he took only lottery tickets. At this point, McCollum begin to scream and Randolph hit her until she quieted down. McCollum made noise again, and Randolph stabbed her with a small knife and strangled her again with the drawstring from his sweatshirt.

According to Randolph, he then raped McCollum to make it appear a maniac committed the crime. Randolph put on a Handy-Way uniform, ripped out the store video camera and put it in the trashcan, and left the store. He also told police that on the way to Jacksonville he had thrown away the losing lottery tickets and his bloodied clothes and shoes at a McDonald’s. The police were able to recover the items. Dr. Kirby Bland, a surgeon, testified that McCollum was in a coma upon arrival at the hospital. He determined she had been severely beaten and had received multiple hits to the head. McCollum had many lacerations on her scalp, face and neck. McCollum’s jawbone was fractured. She also had a knife cut to the side of her neck and a stab wound near her left eye. McCollum died six days after the incident from severe brain injury.

Randolph was sentenced to death in Putnam County on April 5, 1989.

The US Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals denied Randolph a Certificate of Appealability on December 22, 2009.

Opinion is here:

http://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/opinions/ops/200812854.pdf

Randolph's certiorari petition was denied by the US Supreme Court in today's orders.

Post-conviction relief denied by the Florida Supreme Court.

https://law.justia.com/cases/florida.../sc20-287.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Distributed for conference January 21, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-6387.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Florida
    Case Numbers: (SC20-287)
    Decision Date: February 4, 2021
    Rehearing Denied: June 22, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-6387.html

Randolph filed another petition for writ of habeas corpus to the FSC on 2/22/24.

https://acis-api.flcourts.gov/courts...d-f2fb245314a8

Thread Information