Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glen Edward Rogers - Florida Death Row

Glen Edward Rogers - Florida Death Row

Tina Marie Cribbs

Summary of Offense:

Glen Edward Rogers was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Tina Marie Cribbs.

On November 5, 1995, Tina Marie Cribbs was seen leaving the Showtown Barn in Tampa with Glen Edward Rogers. On November 7, 1995, a cleaning person found Cribbs in a Tampa motel room. She had been stabbed in the chest and the buttocks. According to Cribbs’ mother, Tina always wore a sapphire and diamond ring and a gold watch. These pieces of jewelry were not found with Cribb’s body.

A bartender told police that Rogers had bought drinks for Cribbs and her friends. Later, Rogers asked Cribbs for a ride. Cribbs told her friends that she would be back shortly to meet her mother. Cribbs’ mother arrived at the bar and paged Cribbs because she had not returned to the bar.

A motel clerk said that Rogers had arrived in a cab at the motel a few days prior to the murder. On November 5, 1995, Rogers paid for another night and asked that no one clean his room. The clerk then observed Rogers packing suitcases into a White Ford Festiva. On November 13, 1995, Rogers was arrested in Kentucky driving Cribb’s car, which he claimed a girl had loaned him. Rogers also claimed that the girl was alive when he left.

Several days earlier, on November 6, 1995, Cribbs wallet was found at a rest area on Interstate-10 in North Florida. Fingerprints lifted from the wallet and the Tampa motel room were matched to Rogers.

Rogers was sentenced to death in Hillsborough County on July 11, 1997.

On June 22, 1999, Rogers was also convicted in California of first-degree murder and arson for strangling Sandra Gallagher to death and leaving her body in her burning automobile on September 29, 1995. Rogers was sentenced to death in Los Angeles County on July 16, 1999. He then was transported back to the control of Florida’s Department of Corrections in August of 1999.

Also see Glen Rogers - California Death Row

Rogers filed a federal petition for writ of habeas corpus in the U.S. District Court on August 3, 2007. This petition was denied on February 19, 2010.

http://www.floridacapitalcases.state...e-status.cfm#R

According to The Commission on Capital Punishment Glen Rogers filed a Certificate of Appealability in the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals on 03/17/10 and was denied on 06/14/10 and denied rehearing on 07/29/10.

Information found here:

http://www.floridacapitalcases.state...Htm/124400.htm

Roger filed a Petition for Writ of Certiorari with SCOTUS on 10/21/10.

On 12/16/10 Rogers petition (case number 10-7259) was distributed for Conference on January 7, 2011.

Information found here:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/Search.a...es/10-7259.htm

July 19, 1957 - Nov. 2, 2011 vickiw's Avatar
    Thank you do much Heidi , I was going to post this but have had alot of family drama and I got the flu , thank you again.

In today's US Supreme Court orders, Rogers was denied a petition for a writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis.

Murder victim's mom anxiously awaits killer's fate

TAMPA -- Mary Dicke vowed to outlive Glen Edward Rogers, the man who killed her child.

But it has been 14 years since Rogers was found guilty of murder and sentenced to death, and he's still winding his way through the legal system. Dicke, 70, worries there's no end in sight.

"My biggest fear is he'll outlive me," she said. "And I promised my daughter over her grave I would stay until it was done."

Dicke, the mother of slaying victim Tina Marie Cribbs, still attends every court hearing. A post-conviction hearing was held July 15; another is slated for Aug. 19.

"How can you keep rehashing, rehashing?" Dicke asked. "All of his appeals are finished. His papers are sitting on our governor's desk waiting for him to sign it."

Rogers met Cribbs at a Gibsonton lounge and they left together, according to witnesses. The body of Cribbs – a 34-year-old motel housekeeper and restaurant cook – was found in November 1995 in an East Tampa motel room rented by Rogers.

When Rogers was caught near Richmond, Ky., he was driving Cribbs' Ford Festiva.

He also was suspected in the killings of women in Van Nuys, Calif.; Jackson, Miss.; and Bossier City, La. In June 1999, the man dubbed the "Cross-Country Killer" was convicted in California on counts of first-degree murder and arson in the strangling of Sandra Gallagher. He was transported back to Florida's control in August 1999.

Dicke said her daughter was a fun-loving, great person. They had coffee together every morning. Cribbs had two children, the oldest of whom now is 30.

"She worked two jobs to support her kids, she lit up a room when she came in and anybody that came in would tell you that," Dicke said. "She was never down, never was sad in front of anybody. She was my angel. To this day I'm standing looking at this photograph on the wall and I think my life is never the same."

It's common for prisoners to spend a long time on death row. Since 1979, when Florida reinstated the death penalty, the average length of stay on death row prior to execution is 12.7 years. The average length of stay for the past three inmates executed was 24.2 years.

Gary Alvord currently has the longest stay on Florida's death row. He was sent to a death cell in April 1974 for killing three women in West Tampa.

Dicke wishes Florida's death row inmates were executed with expediency.

"My life stopped in 1995," she said. "My life stopped. My daughter was everything to me."

Hillsborough County state attorney's spokesman Mark Cox said the legal process simply takes time.

"We understand the family of the victims and their consternation and pain, and they want closure and to have justice," he said. "But I'm not surprised by the length of the litigation."

Richard Dieter, executive director of the Washington D.C.-based Death Penalty Information Center, said Florida isn't the only state that takes a while to execute death row inmates. Dieter said the "exoneration boom of DNA cases" was part of the reason for the slowdown, as is the number of pending death penalty cases clogging the courts.

Dicke said she was initially told it would take seven years for Rogers to be executed "because of an abundance of evidence" against him. But she said prosecutors recently told her it could be many more years until Rogers is executed.

"It's mindboggling to me that this is still going on," she said. "I just can't believe it's happening."

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-ne...ate-ar-246029/

On September 29, 2011, Rogers filed a habeas petition in Florida Middle District Court in which the respondents are both the State of Florida and the State of California. I am not sure what this is all about.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/flo...v02221/263527/

TV special looks into the claims of a killer

Rogers brags of 70 victims; was Nicole Simpson one?

Did serial killer Glen Rogers from Hamilton help kill Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman in 1994?

That’s the conclusion of “My Brother The Serial Killer,” a two-hour TV documentary premiering Wednesday on the Investigation Discovery channel.

“I’m absolutely certain my brother killed Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman,” says Glen’s brother, Clay Rogers of Hamilton, in the film.

Producer-director David Monaghan has been researching the possible connection since he attended Rogers’ 1997 murder trial in Tampa. The former Hamilton taxi driver is serving two death sentences for two 1995 murders – the stabbing of Tina Cribbs in a Tampa motel and the strangulation of Sandra Gallagher of Van Nuys, Calif.

Glen Rogers made headlines nationwide when he was captured on Nov. 13, 1995 – driving Cribbs’ car a week after her murder – after a 15-mile high-speed chase by Kentucky State Police near Richmond.

At the time of his arrest, Rogers claimed he had killed 70 victims. Filmmaker Monaghan says he was “very skeptical” about the Simpson claim until he heard that Rogers, while working as a painter in Los Angeles, had told his brother Clay and sister Sue Rogers of Hamilton in early 1994 that he had met Nicole Brown Simpson. That was months before her death.

Clay Rogers, interviewed extensively in Hamilton in March, says on the film: “Glen told me when he called, ‘Guess who I’m partying with? Nicole Simpson!’ Actually what he told me was ‘They’ve got money, they’re well off, and I’m taking her down.’ ”

O.J. Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of the bloody stabbing deaths of ex-wife Nicole and her friend Goldman in front of Nicole’s Brentwood home on June 12, 1994. The murders remain unsolved.

In the film narrated by Clay Rogers, Monaghan connects Glen Rogers to the murder this way:

• Rogers had access to a white pickup truck like the one seen near Nicole Simpson’s home that night.

• Police could never identify a second set of bloody shoe prints at the murder scene.

• Rogers told his sister and the sister of Linda Price, one of his alleged victims in Jackson, Miss., he did work for Simpson in her house.

• In one of his hundreds of letters to criminal profiler Anthony Meoli, Glen Rogers says O.J. Simpson paid him to steal diamond earrings the former football star gave to his wife. “Glen told me that O.J.’s instructions were, ‘You may have to kill the b-----,’ ” Meoli says.

Monaghan, who has not spoken to Glen Rogers, said the death row inmate “provided very specific details about the killings” and confirmed other information to Meoli.

Glen Rogers’ claims about the Simpson-Goldman murders are not new. They were first reported in 1996 by the New York Post. “I spent a very long time checking to see if it was true. I was willing to discount everything Glen Rogers said,” Monaghan said.

Van Nuys authorities heard about Rogers’ claim years ago in a letter from a prisoner who knew Rogers. “We immediately forwarded it to the O.J. Simpson prosecutors,” says Lea Purwin D’Agostino, Van Nuys deputy district attorney, in the film.

Former Enquirer reporter John Eckberg, who co-wrote a book called “Road Dog” about Glen Rogers in 2003, says he did long-distance research about Rogers’ Simpson-Goldman allegations but couldn’t nail it down. “We suspected it. I firmly believe he probably was involved in some way, shape or form,” Eckberg says.

“My Brother The Serial Killer” includes an interview with former Channel 9 reporter Paul Schaefer, who covered Rogers’ 1995 arrest; Channel 9’s arrest video shot by Chic Poppe; and audio of Glen Rogers’ jailhouse interview with Steve Vaughn of Hamilton’s WMOH-AM.

Hamilton Police knew the Rogers brothers very well, says Hamilton Police spokesman Tom Kilgour. Narcotics officers often paid Glen Rogers as a drug informant to set up buys, Kilgour says.

Clay’s relationship with his brother changed after Clay found the body of Glen’s roommate – Mark Peters, 72, a retired Lindenwald electrician – wrapped in a curtain in the Rogers family cabin near Beattyville. Clay, who had heard Glen boast several times that he had killed 50 people, led Hamilton police to the body.

“I came to the realization I wasn’t turning in my brother. I was turning in a serial killer,” Clay says on the film.

Glen Rogers was never charged with Peters’ murder. He was also a suspect in – but never charged – with two other brutal stabbing deaths in fall 1995 while en route from California to Tampa – Price, 34, in Jackson, Miss., on Oct. 6, and Andy Jiles Sutton, 37, in Bossier City, La. And there could be many more, Monaghan told The Enquirer. Glen Rogers indicated “three innocent men are on death row for killings he committed,” Monaghan says.

“It’s my hope that authorities in California, Ohio and Kentucky would re-open the Glen Rogers case and look again at the number of victims Glen Rogers may have claimed. I’d be happy to cooperate,” Monaghan says.

“Glen Rogers’ claim of having killed 70 people is believable. He was literally able to get away with murder for years,” Monaghan says.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...-claims-killer
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

I wonder if all the media attention the Documentary is receiving will boost Rogers up on Scott's execution list?

When serial killers strike: The Cross-Country Killer

• Glen Rogers, also know as 'Cross Country Killer,' is on Florida’s death row waiting for his execution
    • Rogers claims to be responsible for 70 murders, but he has only been convicted of killing two women
    • Brother, profiler say Rogers claims to have killed O.J. Simpson's ex-wife

Tina Marie Cribbs met Glen Rogers in a bar near Tampa, Florida, on November 5, 1995.

A bartender at the Showtown Bar later described the man as clean-cut and well-groomed with brilliant blue eyes, according to court documents. He introduced himself to others at the bar as “Randy.”

Cribbs, a 34-year-old mother of two, was at a table with three friends. Rogers bought them drinks, flirted and danced with them. Eventually, he asked Cribbs for a ride. She told one of her friends she would return soon because she was supposed to meet her mother there.

Cribbs never came back.

Mary Dicke, Cribbs’ mother, waited for her at the bar for more than an hour. She tried paging her about thirty times with no response.

Two days later, an employee at the Tampa 8 motel found Cribbs dead from multiple stab wounds in the bathtub of a room rented by Rogers. Her car, a white Ford Festiva, was gone.

What Tina Marie Cribbs did not know when Rogers approached her at the bar is that he had killed another woman he met in a bar, Sandra Gallagher, in Van Nuys, California less than two months earlier, according to Los Angeles Superior Court records--and that he would later claim to have killed dozens of people before that.

On November 13, 1995, a state police detective in Kentucky spotted Rogers driving Cribbs’ car, according to Florida Supreme Court documents. After a high-speed chase, during which Rogers threw beer cans at pursuing officers, police set up a roadblock and forced him off the road.

At the time of his arrest, the Los Angeles Times reported Glen Edward Rogers, then 33, was suspected of killing four women—Gallagher, Cribbs and two others he had met in the six weeks between their deaths—and a man, 71-year-old Mark Peters of Ohio. Peters, a one-time roommate of Rogers’, was found dead in a cabin belonging to Rogers’ family in Kentucky in 1994, his body badly decomposed, according to the News Star.

Sandra Gallagher’s encounter with Rogers began and ended much like Cribbs’. The 33-year-old mother met him at McRed’s bar in Van Nuys on September 28, 1995, where she was celebrating winning $1,250 in the lottery, the Los Angeles Times reported.

According to court documents, Rogers “actively sought to engage her attention” at the bar and “maneuvered events” to get Gallagher to drive him home.

“Sometime during the course of the early morning, [Rogers] strangled her. He then took her vehicle with her body in the passenger seat, and set the car on fire, burning Sandra Gallagher’s body beyond recognition,” a death penalty commitment order stated.

The judge also noted that there was evidence establishing that Rogers killed Linda Price in Mississippi and Andy Jiles Sutton in Louisiana.

Rogers, a former carnival worker, met Linda Price, 34, at the Mississippi State Fair in Jackson in early October 1995, days after Gallagher’s body was found in California, according to the Tampa Tribune. They began dating and soon moved in together, but within weeks, on November 3, 1995, Price was found dead in the bathtub of her home, her body stabbed four times and her throat slashed.

On the day Price’s body was discovered, Rogers boarded a bus in New Orleans, Louisiana bound for Florida, the Dayton Daily News reported. A new girlfriend, 37-year-old Andy Sutton of Bossier City, and her roommate drove him to the bus station.

According to court documents, Rogers arrived at the Tampa 8 motel by cab the following day, telling a clerk he was a truck driver and his vehicle had broken down. He paid for a two-night stay.

The next day, Cribbs encountered Rogers at the Showtown Bar. That night, the motel clerk saw Rogers packing suitcases into a white Ford Festiva matching the description of Cribbs’ car. Court records state Rogers came into the office, paid for another night and asked for a “Do not disturb” sign, which the motel did not have. He asked that the clerk leave a note telling the cleaning staff not to enter his room.

On November 6, an employee saw a handwritten “Do not disturb” sign on the door of Rogers’ room and did not enter, according to Florida Supreme Court documents. When the sign was still there the next morning, however, she went inside and found Cribbs’ body.

On November 8, Rogers was back in Louisiana, reportedly arguing with Sutton outside a Bossier City bar, according to the Dayton Daily News. The next day, Sutton’s roommate and ex-boyfriend discovered her body on her bed, stabbed multiple times in the chest and back.

Less than a week later, Rogers was in police custody in Kentucky.

Authorities from the five states where Rogers was suspected of murder debated which would have the first chance to put him on trial, ultimately deciding to try him for Tina Marie Cribbs’ murder in Florida, according to court records. He was convicted at trial and sentenced to death in 1997.

In accepting the jury’s recommendation of a death sentence, the judge found two aggravating circumstances—that the murder was committed for pecuniary gain and that the crime was heinous, atrocious or cruel.

According to a ruling by the Florida Supreme Court, several pieces of evidence supported the prosecution’s argument that robbery was the primary motive for Cribbs’ murder and that the crime was premeditated. One was the “deliberate nature” of the fatal stab wounds, which a pathologist testified were likely the result of a knife being inserted, twisted 90 degrees and then pulled out.

The court also noted that Rogers did not appear to have a vehicle when he arrived in Tampa, but he was caught with Cribbs’ car a week later. In addition, Cribbs’ wallet was found discarded at a highway rest area in northern Florida. A receipt inside had Rogers’ fingerprints on it.

The nature of the stab wounds was also cited as evidence of the heinous, atrocious or cruel aggravator. Testimony indicated Cribbs was alive and conscious at the time the fatal wounds were inflicted and a medical examiner estimated that she may have lived for 20 to 30 minutes after being stabbed.

“Cribbs was conscious at the least long enough to realize her lifeblood was flowing down the bathtub drain and that she could not escape death,” the trial judge concluded, according to court records.

Rogers was extradited to California to face murder and arson charges for Sandra Gallagher’s death in 1999. He took the witness stand in his own defense at that trial, according to the Los Angeles Times, and he repeatedly denied responsibility for her murder.

A jury found Rogers guilty and he was sentenced to death for a second time. He returned to Florida’s death row, where he remains today waiting for his execution. A Department of Corrections spokesperson said no execution date is currently set.

Rogers has appealed his conviction and death sentence for Cribbs’ murder many times on the state and federal level over the last fifteen years, but his petitions have been denied.

An attorney who handled his most recent appeal could not be reached for comment on the case.

Court documents paint a bleak picture of Rogers’ childhood—one “deprived of love, affection or moral guidance,” according to the trial judge.

Testimony at the Cribbs trial alleged that Rogers’ father was an abusive alcoholic who beat his mother in the presence of their children. The family struggled financially, at one point moving into a condemned house, according to appellate filings.

At a young age, Rogers began participating in burglaries and drug use with his older brother in the Hamilton, Ohio area. Between 1981 and 1985, and then again in 1991, he served as a confidential informant for police, helping undercover officers make contact with drug dealers at least 30 times.

Rogers got married at 16 and spent several years moving back and forth between Ohio and California, sometimes working as a printer or a cab driver, according to an appellate brief. In 1991, he got into a bar fight and was attacked with a pool cue, suffering structural injuries to his skull.

Defense experts testified at the penalty phase of Rogers’ trial for Cribbs’ murder that he suffered from brain damage and mental illness. Dr. Robert Berland stated that Rogers had poriphyria, a rare genetic disease that can cause psychosis and strokes.

Berland also concluded that Rogers exhibited symptoms of psychotic disturbances, schizophrenia, mania and paranoia. Another expert testified that Rogers “had a significant history of trauma to the head,” according to court records, and that trauma—combined with the poriphyria and alcohol abuse—may have contributed to his violent behavior.

The experts suggested that Rogers’ mental illness impeded his ability to follow the law and recognize the criminality of his actions. However, the trial judge found that there was no testimony supporting extreme mental or emotional disturbance as a mitigating factor in his sentence.

While Rogers is believed to be responsible for the murders of Peters, Sutton and Price, he has only been convicted of killing Cribbs and Gallagher. Following his arrest, he told detectives he was responsible for as many as 70 murders, CNN reported.

Investigators in several states have looked into potential links to similar unsolved cases, but they still do not know how many murders Rogers truly committed.

According to Rogers’ brother, Clay, the list of people he claimed to have killed included O.J. Simpson’s ex-wife. Clay Rogers discussed the case in the recent Investigation Discovery documentary, “My Brother the Serial Killer.”

Simpson was charged with the 1994 murders of Nicole Brown-Simpson and Ronald Goldman. He was acquitted in his criminal trial, but he was later found liable in a wrongful death suit.

In the documentary, Clay Rogers said Glen told him in 1994 that he had been working in the Los Angeles area painting and fixing houses and he met Nicole there. Glen allegedly said, “They’ve got money, they’re well off and I’m taking her down.”

“I believed my brother was involved, but who’s going to listen to me?” Clay Rogers said in the film.

Criminal profiler Anthony Meoli, who said he interviewed Rogers in prison about the murders, also appeared in the documentary. Meoli said Rogers told him he was paid by O.J. Simpson to steal a pair of diamond earrings from Nicole that he believed were worth $20,000, and he killed Brown-Simpson and Goldman during the attempted robbery.

In a statement to HLN on the claims made in the documentary, David Cook, an attorney for Ron Goldman’s father, said:

“The overwhelming evidence at the criminal trial proved that one and only one person murdered Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman. That person is O.J. Simpson and not Glen Rogers. The fact that O.J. Simpson was acquitted was a travesty of justice that tarnished the criminal justice system. Now every guilty person prays to the altar of OJ Simpson for deliverance from their crimes. A 100,000 screaming Glen Rogers, packed in the Los Angeles Coliseum, all confessing in unison, would not absolve O.J. Simpson of the murders he committed.”

Simpson is currently serving a 33-year prison sentence in Nevada after a conviction on armed robbery and kidnapping charges there for holding a sports memorabilia dealer at gunpoint and stealing from him.

Simpson’s attorneys did not return calls seeking comment on the allegations involving Rogers. A Los Angeles Police Department spokesman told CNN detectives would investigate the claims, but they have no reason to believe Rogers played a part in those murders.

http://www.hlntv.com/article/2012/11...country-killer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information