Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Wayne Jones, Jr. - Florida Death Row

Michael Wayne Jones, Jr. - Florida Death Row

'True evil': Missing Florida mom, 4 children found dead as investigation focuses on her husband

Casei Jones' spouse, Michael, is currently being questioned in connection with their deaths

By First Coast News

OCALA, Fla. — A missing Florida mom who vanished with her four children has been found dead, and investigators have honed in on her husband as a possible culprit.

The Marion County Sheriff's Office confirms the body of Casei Jones, 32, was found in a car near Brantley County, Georgia. Her husband, Michael, somehow had gotten the car into a crash, leading to the discovery of her body.

Her family reported Jones missing on Sept. 14 after not seeing her for six weeks.

Following interviews, the remains of the four children also have been located, the sheriff's office said. It's believed Michael Jones murdered his family at their Summerfield, Florida, home and stored them there for several weeks before taking them to Georgia.

He led authorities to their remains, authorities say.

"Unfortunately, true evil has poked its head up here in Marion County," Sheriff Billy Woods said.

Deputies say Jones' husband is being questioned in connection with her death. A warrant has been issued for his arrest for second-degree murder, according to law enforcement.

The kids: Cameron Bowers, 10; Preston Bowers, 5; Mercalli Jones, 2; and Aiyana Jones, 1, last were seen about six weeks ago in the Ocala, Florida, area.

"(Michael Jones) has no right to walk the face of this Earth," Woods said. "I hate to be him when he stands before the Lord."

"Unfortunately, there's nothing I can do to bring those children back."

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...1-1b269f77dd79
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Ex-wife of accused murderer Michael Jones tells her side of the story

By WJAX News

The ex-wife of accused murderer Michael Jones sat down with Action News Jax in hopes of dispelling the rumors she says are circulating about her online.

"I don't think anyone in his life ever, ever would have thought he could do this horrific thing," Sarah Jones said.

Sarah Jones said Michael Jones had been staying with her and their three kids in their Mandarin apartment for two weeks up until the day he was arrested.

This matches what Marion County deputies told Action News Jax on Monday.

"It was just a circumstantial thing. The hurricane was coming through. I had never been through it and didn't know what it would be like. It was comforting to have another adult there."

She says he had been staying with her because he said he and Casei Jones had split and there was no electricity at his trailer in Marion County.

On the morning of the day when deputies say Michael Jones crashed his van in Georgia, she says she got a call from the Marion County Sheriff's Office.

Detectives told her Casei Jones and the four kids were missing.

She says when she asked Michael Jones what was going on, "He said he was going to take care of it. That he was going to go to the sheriff's office. He was going to talk to him and figure out where his daughters were and what did Casei do."

"I wasn't concerned. I didn't think there was anything to worry about, and he seemed fine."

She said he had never laid a hand on her or the kids, so even when detectives told her what he did, she didn't believe it.

Action News Jax Dani Bozzini asked: "You never thought he was capable of something like this?"

She replied: "Never. He never hurt me physically, he never hurt the kids. He's never laid a hand on anybody as far as I know."

She said her belief in him changed when she asked her oldest about his van, where deputies believe he kept the bodies.

"I asked my oldest if Daddy's van ever smelled funny? And he said, you know, mom, dad has a bunch of cats that live around his trailer, and he says he thinks there might be a dead cat in his car."

It's a response that made her sick to her stomach. She says she was horrified and still is.

"I don't want say that I'm a victim because I'm not physically hurt, my kids are fine. I just happen to be an unwilling participant in this horror show that he created and I would give anything to have never let him back into our lives."

Watch the complete interview here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ory/ar-AAHNvh4
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."

- Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Central Florida man accused of killing his wife strangled, drowned her 4 kids, deputies say

By MSN News

A 38-year-old man charged in the death of his wife has now been charged with killing her four children.

Michael Jones had been suspected in the deaths for weeks but was not officially charged until Monday.

His wife, Casei Jones, 32, was found dead near Brantley County in Georgia. The remains of her four children were found the next day.

Jones and her four children, Cameron Bowers, 10, Preston Bowers, 5, Mercalli Jones, 2, and Aiyana Jones, 1, had not been seen for six weeks.

According to an arrest affidavit, detectives believe he killed the two oldest children by strangulation.

Approximately two weeks after that, Michael Jones killed his two youngest children by drowning them, the affidavit said. He then left the bodies in their Summerfield home for a few weeks before placing them into his van and keeping them there until he traveled to Georgia, according to the affidavit.

The Sheriff’s Office reported that the county medical examiner’s officer determined Casei Jones died of blunt force trauma.

According to the affidavit, Jones told investigators that during an argument his wife she had grabbed a baseball bat. He said he took the bat from her and repeatedly struck her with it, the affidavit said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...say/ar-AAIqJZl

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

State will seek death penalty against man in deaths of woman, 4 kids

By Frank Stanfield
    Daily Commercial

OCALA — A grand jury on Monday indicted Michael W. Jones Jr. on a second-degree murder charge for the slaying of his wife, Casei, and four counts of first-degree murder for her children, ages 1 to 10. The State Attorney’s Office has said it will seek the death penalty.

These were important steps in the legal process, but they do virtually nothing to comfort Casei’s mother, Nikki Jones, who sobbed over the phone while talking about the unfathomable loss.

“We’re not coping,” she said during an interview. “I don’t even have my babies back from Georgia.”

Michael Jones, 38, was arrested in south Georgia last month with Casei's decomposing body in the van. He led police to a place near Folkston, where he had stashed the children’s bodies. He is being held without bail at the Marion County Jail.

Friends and family contacted Marion County law enforcement when they had not heard from the family in a month. The family had lived in Leesburg but moved to a home in the Sunset Harbor area of Summerfield recently.

Nikki Jones said she had no idea that her “baby girl” and her grandchildren would end up being murder victims.

“I would’ve stopped it,” she declared.

She said the couple had “marital spats,” and there was once a two-week period when Michael left the family and Nikki moved in with Casei in Leesburg from her home in Tampa. She described Casei during that time as “deeply depressed.”

Nikki was upset with Michael because he wasn’t working. “They didn’t have much, but she owned everything they had. But she couldn’t see it. She loved him.”

“She was so pretty; she was such a hard worker.”

Nikki has been wounded by the tragedy even more because she tried to start a GoFundMe to raise money for funeral expenses but had to take it down because people were making hurtful comments.

“They said I was just trying to get money off my daughter’s death,” she said. “If they knew me, they wouldn’t say that.”

Casei was born two days before Christmas. “I always said that was my Christmas present.”

Fortunately, someone in Marion County has agreed to cremate the bodies, she said.

“We don’t have much. I’m a coal miner’s daughter, the daughter of a World War II hero, but we loved each other,” she said.

If possible, the deaths of the children may be even harder to take.

Cameron Bowers was 10, Preston Bowers, 5, Mercalli Jones, 2, and Aiyana Jones, 1. Cameron watched over his brothers and sisters, Nikki said.

“Pressy, I called him Pressy, was scheduled to start kindergarten. He was learning to walk. He was crippled and they received a disability check for him. He had a muscle issue,” Nikki said.

“Mercalli was my soulmate. She went everywhere with me,” she said of the bubbly little blonde girl.

Aiyana was crawling, she said.

The younger children attended Morrison United Methodist Church preschool until they moved to Marion County. They had lived in a home on Vine Street in Leesburg.

Nikki, who lives in DeLand, said the only thing she needs now is either repairs to her 2004 “junk car” or a different vehicle, “so I can drive to the trial. I’ll walk if I have to.”

Court dockets are backed up for two years or longer for murder trials.

“Unfortunately, true evil poked its head up here in Marion County,” Sheriff Billy Woods said in a press conference in September.

https://www.dailycommercial.com/news...f-woman-4-kids

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Summerfield murders: How the case unfolded

Michael Wayne Jones, 38, has been charged in the murders of his wife and her four children

By Austin Miller
    Ocala Star Banner

The Jones’ family’s single-wide mobile home was cleaned by maintenance workers before detectives had a chance to examine it as part of their investigation into the disappearance and deaths of Casei Jones and her four children, according to a Marion County Sheriff’s Office report.

Nikki Jones, the mother of Casei Jones, called the Sheriff’s Office and asked for a well-being check on her daughter. Deputy Chase King went to the home at 14680 SE 86th Terrace in Summerfield the night of Sept. 14. But by then, the residence was empty and, it appeared, had recently been cleaned, according to his report.

The bodies of Casei Jones and her four children were found a few days later in Georgia. Her husband, 38-year-old Michael Wayne Jones, has been arrested in connection with all five killings, which may have been committed at that home, authorities say. The State Attorney’s Office is seeking the death penalty.

The deputy’s report is part of the large body of evidence and documents that are being collected in this case. They explain the steps that led authorities to search for Casei Jones and then develop her husband as a suspect in the deaths.

Law enforcement didn’t get involved until mid-September. But authorities now believe the killings started in July and then continued through August.

Among other things, the reports suggest that Michael Jones was deceiving his wife’s mother long after his wife’s death.

Nikki Jones received a text — purportedly from her daughter — asking if she could watch two of the children for a few days. She said yes. Michael Jones came to her DeLand home with the two younger children, both girls: Mercalli Jones, 2, and Aiyana Jones, 11 months. They are Michael Jones’ biological children; the other two were not.

A few days later, Nikki Jones received another text, again purportedly from her daughter, asking her to keep the children for a few more days because she was sick. She wound up keeping the children for about two weeks before Michael Jones returned to pick them up.

Nikki Jones said that while the children were with her, she did not hear from her daughter. That was unusual. The woman said she also had not heard from her daughter’s other two children: Cameron Bowers, who would have turned 9 on Sept. 12, and his younger brother, Preston Bowers, who would have turned 5 on Aug. 22.

Authorities suspect Michael Jones was texting his mother-in-law from Casei Jones’ phone to keep up the illusion that she was still alive.

During the well-being check, King spoke with Johnny Murphy, a neighbor, about the Jones family. Murphy told the deputy the property manager had asked him to accompany the manager to Michael and Casei Jones’ residence “because of an odd smell.”

Murphy said he went with the man, later identified only as “Patrick,” no last name given, and the home had furniture and pictures. Murphy said it had an “awful smell,” describing the stench as “something dead.”

Murphy said the next day he saw the couple’s white Chrysler Pacifica minivan in the driveway. He said the vehicle left that afternoon and he never saw it again.

King called the owner of the property, Joseph Petrolino, who lives in Boca Raton. Around Aug. 23, Petrolino told him, he began an eviction process against Michael and Casei Jones. He said Casei Jones had told him she had nothing to do with her husband and to contact him for further information.

Petrolino said he told Michael Jones about the eviction. On Aug. 23, he said he received a text from Jones telling him that he was leaving the home and would leave the key on the counter.

Petrolino said he tried numerous times to reach Jones, but was unsuccessful. He told the deputy that after the Jones family had vacated the premises, one of his property managers “cleaned the residence and made some repairs.”

During his well-being check, King looked through the windows and saw the home was empty. A fan was running, as was an air conditioning unit. Inside one of the bedrooms, King said he saw what appeared to be a small red stain on the floor.

Sgt. Micah Moore was called to the home. King and Moore got Petrolino on the phone and asked his permission to enter the home. The deputies told Petrolino he could tell them to leave at any time.

Opening the door, the deputies smelled something bad and believed the odor was decomposition from an animal or a human. They saw two containers of cleaner and bleach next to a mop bucket at the door, according to King’s report. The decomposition, King said in his report, was mixed with the smell of cleaning supplies throughout the home.

Petrolino told the deputies he had one of his employees mop and clean the floor. Petrolino said he knew the fan and AC were left on because the property manager said “it smelled like a dead body.”

Continuing to examine the home, the deputies noted there were a new parquet floor and baseboards in one of the bedrooms. They asked Petrolino about the repairs, and the deputies said he told them to leave.

They walked out of the home and notified detectives.

While waiting for detectives to arrive, the deputies were contacted by Casei Jones’ sister and the father of the two missing boys. Both Sarah Gilbert (Casei Jones’ older sister) and Richard Bowers (Casei Jones’ ex-husband) were concerned.

Bowers, who at the time was on vacation and out of the country, said he saw a post on Facebook asking anyone with information about Casei Jones to call the Sheriff’s Office. Gilbert was worried because she had not heard from her sister since Aug. 26.

Bowers said he had his children the last few weeks of July and the first few weeks of August. While the children were with him, he said, the older child said Michael Jones was abusive to Casei Jones and the children.

Bowers said both Casei and Michael Jones frequently fought and the fights were “violent and would go on for hours,” the report states. The child had told him Michael Jones would hit all of them with hangers or anything he could find when he was angry.

Bowers told deputies that Michael Jones worked at an animal hospital in Lake County.

Deputies contacted the owner of the veterinary hospital, Michael Delaporte, who said Michael Jones was hired as a veterinary technician and they were close friends. Delaporte said he also hired Casei Jones, who at the time was going by Casei Bowers. The man said Michael Jones and Casei Bowers began having an affair, even though Jones’ wife at the time, Sarah Jones, was also an employee, according to the report.

Delaporte told deputies he hired Sarah Jones about seven or eight years ago. While the report doesn’t indicate when Casei or Micheal were hired, it notes that when Sarah Jones told Delaporte she and Michael were moving to Vermont because he could not find a job Delaporte hired her husband. Not long afterward, Casei was hired.

Delaporte said Michael Jones told him and his wife “a multitude of fabricated stories,” according to investigative reports. And when they uncovered his lies, Michael Jones was fired. The man told investigators Jones entered the business after he was terminated and stole numerous items, including a gun.

The incident was reported to the Lake County Sheriff’s Office and a warrant was issued for Jones’ arrest. LCSO officials eventually arrested Jones.

Lt. Claude McQuaig and Detective Bradley Bartlett arrived at the Summerfield home and met with King and Moore. McQuaig and Bartlett began their investigation into the Jones family and drafted a search warrant for the home.

In the meantime, the family was entered into a database as missing and endangered. Detectives tried reaching out to anyone connected to the family.

As detectives were waiting on the search warrant, Bartlett called Sarah Jones. She told him she saw Casei Jones and the children at a McDonald’s in Palatka on Sept. 13, a statement detectives would later discover was made under duress. The detectives called another detective, Ian Simpson, to go to the McDonald’s to review surveillance video from the store.

Simpson went to the store and could not find any video showing the Jones family at the popular fast food business. Not finding any video, both Simpson and Bartlett tried calling Sarah Jones, but were unable to reach her. Simpson headed to Jacksonville to talk with her.

Bartlett said in his report that, while he was talking on the phone with Michael Jones’ mother on Sept. 15, a call came in. When he finished talking to the woman, he returned the call. It was Michael Jones, who had left a voicemail message. The message said he had learned deputies were looking for him and his family. He said he was not in Marion County but would be in town later that day or early the next morning. He said he could be available around 9 a.m. on Sept. 16.

Bartlett tried calling the number back, but got no answer.

When Simpson found Sarah Jones, she told him she and Michael Jones were married in 2011 and she had been with him since 2007. She said they had three children together and separated because he was having an affair with Casei.

She said Michael Jones contacted her during the last two weeks of July and told her he and Casei were separating. She said he visited her and their children went with him to Marion County.

She said Jones picked up their children around July 26 and they returned the day before school started on Aug. 11.

She said Michael Jones returned and picked up the children the following weekend so she could work at her new job as an Uber driver.

Sarah Jones said Micheal was at her home on Aug. 30 and had been staying there.

She said after Bartlett called and left a message about wanting to know where Casei Jones was, Micheal Jones told her he did not know. When she spoke with Bartlett, Michael was with her, she said, and told her to tell the detective that she had seen the family at McDonald’s.

Sarah Jones said she told Michael Jones to call Bartlett. She said he used one of their children’s phones to call him. She told Simpson that Jones had left about an hour earlier, saying he was going to Marion County to “take care of the situation.”

Sarah Jones said Michael Jones would pick up their children from the YMCA. The children were passengers in their father’s van, she said, and complained about the smell.

Shortly after Simpson left Sarah Jones’ home, he learned that Michael Jones had been involved in a traffic crash in Georgia and had confessed to killing Casei Jones and the children.

Detectives got the warrant to search the Summerfield home on Sept. 15. During the search, they found evidence of what they believed was a crime, according to the reports. They also got the name of one of the men, Matthew Quinn, who cleaned the home.

Quinn told Bartlett he went to the home on Sept. 3 and was supposed to meet “Patrick” there. “Patrick” did not show up, however, so he went in the home. He said there was a “foul odor” coming from one of the rooms and he took pictures of the home.

The next day, Quinn said, he went back and “Patrick” was there. Quinn said the property manager had already loaded trash from the home and they began cleaning up the residence. He said they took two trailer loads of trash to the county landfill.

Quinn said he took a cot and pop-up tent to his place. He later gave deputies the items.

While at the home, deputies were told that Michael Jones had been arrested in Georgia.

McQuaig and Bartlett left for Georgia. On their way to Brantley County, Georgia, the deputies were kept up to date.

They were told that Jones was involved in a crash and a deputy smelled decomposition in the van. Jones admitted to killing his wife and that her remains were in the vehicle. He told Georgia law enforcement officials the murder occurred at their home in Summerfield and that the children were with his mother-in-law.

Marion County detectives called Nikki Jones, who said she didn’t have the children. They relayed that information to Georgia officials and later learned that Jones admitted to killing the children, as well.

McQuaig and Bartlett went to where the van was found and joined the search for the children’s remains.

The detectives said Jones led Georgia authorities to an area a few miles south of the crash site on Highway 301 in Charlton County. He led them down a road and into a pine forest.

The detectives learned that Jones had placed the bodies of the four children into plastic storage totes and were hidden in the area, covered with cut palm fronds.

The law enforcement officials began to search the area.

“It was clear they were in the area from the smell of decomposition that was all around us in the air,” McQuaig wrote in his report.

They found the totes separated by some distance.

Over the next few hours early on Sept. 16, McQuaig and Bartlett interviewed Jones at the Brantley County Sheriff’s Office, where he detailed how he killed his wife and the children at their Summerfield home.

The killings occurred over several weeks, between July 10, when Casei Jones was killed with a baseball bat, and the end of August, when the little girls were drowned.

During follow-up investigations, April Smith, of Silver Springs, told detectives she had purchased two twin mattresses with bed frames on Aug. 17 from a man later identified as Michael Jones. He had posted the items for sale on Facebook, and she and her husband agreed to buy them, according to the Sheriff’s Office report.

Smith said she and her husband, Jason, drove to Jones’ home and Jones loaded the items on their trailer. She did not go into Jones’ home or the van. Still, the woman said, she and her husband detected an odor from the mattresses.

When they first got them, they sprayed them with a mixture of bleach, water and baking soda. They recognized Jones when he was arrested.

A detective took pictures of the items but did not collect them because they appeared clean.

On Sept. 18, the day Jones was transported back to Marion County, Bartlett interviewed Bowers, the father of the two boys. He told them about a text message he received on July 16 from Casei Jones’ phone about the children. He said he received a second text and decided to meet on July 27.

When he met with Michael Jones, Bowers said, Jones told him he was sorry for previous interactions between them. Bowers said he had the boys until Aug. 10, when he returned them to Jones. That was the last time he talked with the boys.

Bowers said he tried talking to Preston, to wish him a happy birthday in late August, but was unable to reach him.

https://www.ocala.com/news/20191020/...-case-unfolded

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

Ocala death penalty case: Trial date set for man accused of killing 4 kids and his wife

By Austin L. Miller
    Ocala Star Banner

A December trial date has been set for a man charged with killing his wife, her two children and his two children.

Michael Wayne Jones could face the death penalty if convicted. He had a court hearing on Monday for the first time since 2019.

Appearing by Zoom from the Marion County Jail, the 40-year-old Summerfield man stood as he listened to Assistant State Attorney Amy Berndt and John Spivey, executive assistant public defender for the 5th Judicial Circuit Public Defender's Office, talk about his case. Jones was silent during the proceeding.

Berndt told Circuit Judge Anthony Tatti that she's ready for trial. Spivey said he's moving forward with the case and to date has interviewed 66 witnesses. He told the court the defense has another 20 people still to interview.

Berndt said other than taking depositions from defense witnesses, her office is prepared. She told a Star-Banner reporter at the conclusion of the hearing that the state might hire medical experts of its own to rebut those presented by the defense.

Death penalty cases have two phases

There are two phases for a death penalty trial. First is the guilt phase, where the jury will determine whether Jones is guilty as charged.

If he is, then the penalty phase begins. That's when the jury determines whether Jones should be put to death or go to prison for the rest of his life. At the end of those two phases, the judge will review the jury's verdict and make the decision on life or death.

Fourteen people, 12 on the jury and the remaining two serving as alternates, will be picked. The jury will sit for both phases. Any vote for death must be unanimous.

Spivey said despite making progress with the case, he has "a lot of work to do." He told the court one of his biggest obstacle is securing interviews in Jones' hometown in Vermont.

The lawyer told the Star-Banner that residents are reluctant to speak and don't want to get involved with the case. He said his office has hired an investigator to assist with interviews.

In court, Spivey told the judge that his team has other issues, such as a heavy caseload and catchup from COVID-19-related court delays.

Berndt said the victim families are concerned about a trial date.

Spivey asked the judge if the trial could be held in May 2023. After listening to both sides, Tatti said jury selection will commence on Dec. 5 of this year.

Berndt and Assistant State Attorney Rich Buxman will try the case for the state. The defense has Spivey and Assistant Public Defenders Morris Carranza and Amanda Sizemore.

Jones is accused of gruesome killings

Jones was arrested in Brantley County, Georgia, in September 2019 after he was involved in a single-vehicle crash. He told Georgia authorities that his wife’s body was inside his van. Jones then led Georgia and Marion County Sheriff's Office detectives to the children's bodies.

Interviewed by sheriff's detectives, Jones told them he killed Casei Jones by hitting her repeatedly with a metal baseball bat. Authorities say he also killed the four children: Cameron Bowers, 8; Cameron's younger brother, 4-year-old Preston Bowers; Mercalli Jones, 2; and her 11-month-old sister, Aiyana Jones.

The two girls were Jones'. The two boys were his wife's from another relationship, authorities said.

Detectives said Jones took turns drowning or strangling the children to death on separate days and at different times.

Detectives believe the victims were killed between July 10 and the end of August 2019. Law enforcement officials said the bodies of the children were stored in totes and a suitcase.

Jones is presently housed at the Marion County Jail. Spivey said the jail is taking good care of Jones, who is taking medication to stabilize him. The lawyer said Jones was previously on suicide watch.

https://www.ocala.com/story/news/cou...ty/7274844001/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Summerfield man pleads guilty to killing wife, 4 children, may face death penalty

By Austin L. Miller
    Ocala Star Banner

Facing a possible death sentence, Michael Wayne Jones has pleaded guilty to killing his wife and their four children.

Appearing with his attorney, John Spivey, an executive assistant public defender, Jones entered his plea to five counts of murder in front of Circuit Judge Anthony Tatti.

The 41-year-old Summerfield man was charged with first-degree murder for each of the children, while given a second-degree charge for his wife, Casei Jones.

Background of Jones’ case

Jones was arrested in Brantley County, Georgia, in September 2019 after a single-vehicle crash. He told law enforcement officials that his wife’s body was inside the vehicle he was driving.

He then took Georgia and Marion County Sheriff’s Office detectives to the children’s bodies.

When he was interviewed by sheriff’s detectives, Jones admitted to killing his wife with a metal baseball bat by hitting her repeatedly. Detectives said Jones then admitted to the killing of the couple’s four children: Cameron
    Bowers, 8; Preston Bowers, 4; Mercalli Jones, 2; and her 11-month-old sister, Aiyana Jones.

The two younger children were Jones’ daughters. The older two were his wife’s sons from another relationship, authorities said.

Sheriff’s officials said Jones drowned or strangled the children at different times on separate days.

Detectives believe the victims were killed between July 10 and the end of August 2019. Law enforcement officials said the bodies of the children were stored in totes and a suitcase.

Why Jones is pleading guilty

With the plea, prosecutors said instead of having a trial, the next step is the penalty phase where a jury of 12 people would determine whether Jones spends the rest of his life behind bars or is put to death.

Assistant State Attorneys Amy Berndt and Rich Buxman are prosecuting the case for the State Attorney's Office.

Spivey, Jones' attorney, told the Star-Banner that Jones made the plea because he wants to take responsibility for his actions. The lawyer said Jones made two confessions, one to Georgia authorities and the other to local detectives.

The defense lawyer said Jones, whose court appearances have been few and far between since his 2019 incarceration, is also taking medication while at the Marion County Jail.

Avoiding the death penalty

Jury selection for the case is expected to start on Dec. 5 and is expected to last two or three days.

Jones' attorney expects to deliver his defense the first week of January, which will include 18 witnesses, seven experts and a team of medical professionals.

If the jury decides to give Jones the death penalty, the decision must be unanimous. A separate hearing would then be held for each side to make their arguments before a judge makes the ultimate decision.

As of Wednesday, 302 people — only three of whom are women — are currently on the state's death row, according to the Department of Corrections website. Marion County has five of those inmates.

https://www.ocala.com/story/news/2022/11/23/michael-wayne-jones-facing-death-penalty-pleas-guilty-murdering-family/10759134002/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Ocala jury is asked: Death or life in prison for man who killed his wife and four kids?

By Austin L. Miller
    Ocala Star Banner

A little more than two weeks ago, Michael Wayne Jones decided to plead guilty to four counts of first-degree murder and one count of second-degree murder for the death of his family.

Now Jones, 41, of Summerfield, faces a jury of his peers, who after hearing from the prosecution and defense will decide whether he spends the rest of his life in prison or faces the death penalty.

The jury − 10 men and 5 women, three of them alternates − were picked from 100 people summoned to the Marion County Judicial Center on Monday. The penalty phase proceedings began Thursday with opening statements from the prosecution and defense.

How Jones was captured, and how the victims were killed

Jones was taken into custody in Brantley County, Georgia, in September 2019 after the murders of his wife, Casei, and the couple's four children. Two of the children had a different father and two were Jones'. The names of the children: Cameron Bowers, 9: Preston Bower, 4: Mercalli Jones, 2: and her 11-mont-old sister, Aivana Jones.

Jones was involved in a single-vehicle crash and told law enforcement officials that his wife’s body was inside the vehicle.

Marion County sheriff's detectives were called and they, along with Georgia authorities, recovered the bodies of the children, which were stored in totes and a suitcase. Jones showed law enforcement officials the location of the children.

When Jones was interviewed by local officials, Jones told them he used a metal baseball bat to repeatedly hit his wife. He also provided details on how the children died. Law enforcement officials said Jones drowned or strangled the children at different times on separate days.

Detectives believe the victims were killed between July 10 and the end of August 2019.

Prosecutor Amy Berndt argues for the death penalty

On Thursday morning, Assistant State Attorney Amy Berndt and Executive Assistant Public Defender John Spivey explained to the jury their respective points of view.

Using charts that showed different timelines, Berndt said Jones "brutally murdered" his two children and two step-children, adding that he "savagely" beat his wife to death with a baseball bat. Her blood was on the floor and ceiling, Berndt said.

The prosecutor went into detail on the ways and manner of deaths experienced by the five at the hands of Jones. In one instance, Berndt said, Jones told investigators that while killing one of his stepsons, it seemed "like it took forever."

At each interval, Berndt said, Jones engaged in a "web of lies" as he covered his tracks in the days and weeks that went by. For instance, Berndt said Jones would use his wife's phone to text, and her Facebook account to send messages to people so they would think that she was alive.

Jones drove the decomposing bodies around with him, Berndt said. One trip was to visit an ex-wife in Jacksonville, where he saw her and their three children. The prosecutor said Jones asked her to lie for him when sheriff's detectives were trying to find Jones' wife and the four missing children.

Berndt told jurors that the only appropriate punishment is "death for the defendant."

Defense attorney Spivey tells jurors his client deserves to live

Spivey said Jones, wearing a suit and tie and sitting with his defense team, has pleaded guilty, took responsibility for the deaths, and should be punished. But while there's punishment, it should not be death, Spivey said.

The defense lawyer said that, throughout the course of the penalty phase proceedings, the defense will show that Jones suffered from various mental illnesses, was dominated by the opposite sex, and had a rough upbringing.

As a child, Spivey said, Jones was molested; his father went to prison; and his stepfather was abusive. He described Jones as a lost, confused and abused child who lived in a run-down residence in Vermont.

Jones had a period of normalcy when he joined the U.S. Navy. But in the military, Jones was dominated by an ex-girlfriend, which would be a constant theme in his life, Spivey said. Leaving the military, Jones met a woman --- not Casei --- they got married and had three children.

Spivey said when Jones worked at a clinic, he met Casei and they had an affair. They married, and he was dominated by Casei. Everything came crashing down on Jones, who by that time had seven children to feed, Spivey said.

After Casei's death, Spivey said, Jones believed the only way to make it right was to reunite the children with his deceased wife.

The defense lawyer said experts will show that Jones' traumatic experiences and episodes led to a "freefall of psychotic chaos."

Time after time at the Marion County Jail, where Jones is being held, there have been examples of Jones' irrational state. There was a time when Jones was having a loud conversation with himself in his cell. There were times when Jones would bang his head against the door. With a cut on his head, Spivey said, Jones tried to remove the voices from his head.

Spivey said it shows "a portrait of a man out of control." Life in prison is the most just decision, Spivey told jurors.

The defense team includes lawyers Morris Carranza and Amanda Sizemore. Assistant State Attorney Rich Buxman is working with Berndt for the prosecution.

Casei Jones' family and others take the witness stand

Casei Jones' two sisters, Brandi and Sarah Gilbert, testified on behalf of the state. Both talked about how close their sister was with the family.

Sarah Gilbert read a statement about her sister's death. She said Casei's passing has devastated their family and the pain has been torture.

She said she had to quit her job because it involved children's clothing. Gilbert said she stayed in bed for six months. She said the four children will never graduate from school, be married or have their own children.

Law enforcement officials, a school official, residents and the boys' father took the stand for the state. Those called to the stand testified individually on a number of topics that include the children's attendance records, alleged text messages from Casei Jones, interactions with Michael Jones, and a description of the crime scene.

https://www.ocala.com/story/news/cou...e/69709129007/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Edited:

State rests its case in penalty phase for man who pleaded guilty to five murders

By Austin L. Miller
    Ocala Star Banner

After more than two dozen witnesses, three days of testimony and multiple video and photo presentations, Assistant State Attorneys Amy Berndt and Rich Buxman on Monday concluded their portion of the penalty phase for

Michael Wayne Jones, who has pleaded guilty to murdering his wife and four children.

On Monday, prosecutors called Dr. Edmund Donoghue and Dr. Joni Skipper, their final two witnesses, to the stand. Both doctors discussed the autopsies they performed on the five victims.

As previously agreed, the defense will begin presenting its case on Jan. 5. Until then, the case is on hold.

Jones has pleaded guilty to four counts of first-degree murder for the children and one count of second-degree murder for his wife.

Family members of the victim have been a fixture in the trial, which began Thursday. Jones, 41, of Summerfield, is represented by Executive Assistant Public Defender John Spivey, with Morris Carranza and Amanda Sizemore assisting him.

Prosecutors' first witness

Donoghue said he performed the autopsies on Casei Jones and her oldest child, Cameron. The autopsies were conducted in Georgia. Buxman questioned the doctor.

With the woman, the doctor said her body was in an advanced state of decomposition. Despite the condition, Donoghue said he was able to do his job. Casei Jones had what he described as "significant" skull fractures − five or six wounds − and she had facial lacerations from her chin to her forehead. She also had lacerations to the back of her head, the doctor said.

There were several areas of her spine that were dislocated due to trauma. The doctor said the trauma was consistent with a blow from a baseball bat. He concluded that the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head and the manner was homicide.

Cameron's body was in an advanced state of decomposition. His folded body was in a red suitcase that was in a tote. The boy had a towel wrapped around his head, and some of the towel was in his mouth

His cause of death was determined to be a homicide. The doctor said a manner couldn't be determined due to decomposition.

Questioning the doctor on cross-examination, Carranza asked if there were any defense wounds, and was told no. The doctor said he could not say if the towel had contribute to the boy's death and was unable to tell if there was any pain or suffering. The doctor also said there were no signs of struggle.

Testimony from the second doctor

Skipper told the court she performed the autopsies of Preston, Mercalli and Aiyana in Georgia. The children's remains arrived at the medical examiner's office in separate totes. The bodies were in an advanced state of decomposition, and personal items such a baby bottle, blankets and a pink shoe were found in the totes.

Skipper, who was questioned by Berndt, said Preston had no broken bones and had a zip tie around his neck. She said the cause of death was strangulation.

The sisters' autopsies were conducted at the same time since they were in the same tote, the doctor said. The deaths were ruled homicides; however, because of the decomposition, the manner was undetermined, the doctor said.

Carranza asked if Preston suffered. Skipper was unable to say. The case was the same for the sisters.

The prosecution finished by showing video clips of the deceased children smiling or singing.

One juror has been excused

The 12-member jury and three alternates who were selected to hear the case and vote on a sentencing recommendation were told not to discuss or read about the case or conduct any independent research.

On Monday, the jury was dismissed until Jan. 5, when the defense will present its case.

After the jury was excused, one juror was told to return to the courtroom. There, the judge told him that because he would be away on a field trip while the defense is presenting its case, he would be excused from the panel.

https://www.ocala.com/story/news/courts/2022/12/12/execution-or-life-in-prison-prosecution-rests-in-ocala-murder-case/69719360007/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Sentencing trial for Michael Wayne Jones continues as he faces the death penalty

By Taylor Simpson
    WCJB News

OCALA, Fla. (WCJB) - Michael Wayne Jones entered the Marion County courtroom in a suit and tie after pleading guilty to killing to wife and four children.

His defense attorneys called neuropsychologist Dr. John Fabian to discuss Jones’ mental illnesses.

“In my opinion, there’s a long history of depression that was really undiagnosed treated as well as PTSD,” said Fabian.

Fabian said that comes from jones being molested at age six by his step-uncle and living in a difficult home environment. He added that jones dropped out of school at 16, has a low IQ score and his academic skills are equivalent to a 6th grader.

“He’s a low-functioning guy he doesn’t have a lot of cognitive emotional resilience is what I call it. He struggles interpersonally being bullied and picked on and not well-liked.”

In cross-examining Fabian, prosecutors disagreed, saying Jones was well-functioning and brought up how a family member said jones acted normal after killing his wife.

“She told you quote his behavior was fairly typical for Michael right? Yes,” said Fabian.

“She said he was acting out the norm? Correct,” Fabian replied.

“He was picking up their kids from school and hanging out with the kids? Correct,” said Fabian.

Prosecutors went on to say that Jones got his G.E.D. on the first try, was in the Navy, and also had stable jobs, and believe he has no mental illness.

“You never spoke with him about the facts or circumstances of the murders correct? Yeah his attorneys requested I not,” said Fabian.

“So you agree that that information could be very helpful in what his mental state was and what he was thinking? Sure,” Fabian replied.

The jury trial continues next week with more defense witnesses. If the jury gives jones the death penalty the decision must be unanimous.

https://www.wcjb.com/2023/01/06/sent...death-penalty/

- Rev. Richard Hawke

- Rowan Atkinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information