Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven Richard Taylor - Florida Death Row

Steven Richard Taylor - Florida Death Row

Alice Vest

Steven Richard Taylor

Summary of Offense:

Steven Taylor was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Alice Vest. Vest arrived at her mobile home around 11:30 p.m. on September 15, 1990. Near midnight, Taylor and Gerald Murray, Taylor’s codefendant, were dropped off close to the victim’s neighborhood after riding around listening to the radio with a third person. During the early morning of September 16, 1990, a Ford Ranchero was reported missing from the same area. A passerby reported seeing the automobile near Vest’s home at around 4:30 a.m. that morning. The automobile was found behind a car dealership near Taylor’s residence later in the day on September 16, 1990.

On the morning of September 16, 1990, a neighbor found the body of Vest in her bedroom. According to the medical examiner, Vest had been sexually assaulted. She had also been stabbed approximately 20 times with a knife and a pair of scissors that were found at the scene. The medical examiner determined that Vest was strangled after the stabbing. In addition to the other injuries, the medical examiner found that Vest had suffered head injuries and a fractured jaw. The medical examiner determined that the fractured jaw was probably due to being hit with a bottle and the other head injuries were probably due to being struck with a metal bar and candlestick. The bottle, metal bar and candlestick were all found at the scene. The medical examiner also found bruises on her breasts. According to trial testimony, the phone line had been severed. Trial testimony further revealed that Vest’s home had been burglarized and that jewelry was missing.

In December 1990, Taylor moved out the duplex that he had been living in with a roommate. Taylor’s former roommate removed a fence from the property the following month. While removing the fence, he found a bag that was buried and contained jewelry. The former roommate gave the jewelry to the police and made a statement. It was determined that the jewelry was taken from Vest’s home the night of the burglary and murder.

In January 1991, Taylor accompanied by friends returned to the duplex to visit his former roommate. The former roommate observed Taylor go into the backyard and look at the area from which he had previously removed the fence. The next month, Taylor and his friends again visited Taylor’s former roommate. Taylor walked into the backyard to the area where the fence had previously stood. One of the individuals, who had arrived at the duplex with Taylor, testified that Taylor come in from the backyard with dirt on his hands. He further testified that when he questioned Taylor about what he was doing, Taylor said he was looking for something that was not where he had left it.

On February 14, 1991, the Duval County Sheriff’s Office, authorized by a search warrant and acquired blood, saliva and hair samples from Taylor. After the samples were taken, Taylor asked one of the officers how long before the results would be ready. The officer inquired into why Taylor wanted to know. Taylor replied that he wanted to know when they would be coming to get him. An analyst from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement testified that the semen found on Vest’s clothing matched Taylor’s DNA profile.

Timothy Cowart, who had occupied the same cell as Taylor, testified at the trial. According to Cowart, Taylor said that he been part of a burglary that had gone badly. Taylor said that he and an accomplice had been robbing a mobile home when the owner arrived home and that he had stabbed and choked her. Taylor also claimed to have strangled the victim to ensure that she was dead. Furthermore, Cowart said that Taylor claimed that the prosecution had enough evidence against him to secure a conviction. Cowart also claimed that Taylor asked for his assistance in an escape plan.

Taylor was sentenced to death in Duval County on December 9, 1991.

Co-defendant information:

Gerald Murray (DC# 291140) was convicted of first-degree murder, burglary and sexual assault with a weapon. He was sentenced to death for the first-degree murder conviction on April 15, 1994. Murray also received a life sentence on April 15, 1994 for each conviction of burglary and sexual assault. For more on Murray, see: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...rida-Death-Row

In today's Florida Supreme Court orders, Taylor's conviction and death sentence were affirmed and he was denied relief on his petition for writ of habeas corpus.

Opinion here

Petition to rehear was denied on March 7, 2011.

On April 20, 2012, Taylor filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/flo...v00444/270527/

Supreme Court rejects 10 more death penalty appeals

By News Service of Florida

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - With the total number of similar rulings reaching 30 over three days, the Florida Supreme Court on Wednesday rejected appeals by another 10 Death Row inmates challenging their death sentences.

Justices, in a highly unusual move, have released batches of 10 rulings each day this week, with all of the cases dealing with issues about jury unanimity. The appeals were based on a 2016 U.S.Supreme Court opinion in a case known as Hurst v. Florida and a subsequent Florida Supreme Court decision.

The 2016 U.S. Supreme Court ruling found Florida's death-penalty sentencing system was unconstitutional because it gave too much authority to judges, instead of juries.

The subsequent Florida Supreme Court ruling said juries must unanimously agree on critical findings before judges can impose death sentences and must unanimously recommend the death penalty. But the Florida Supreme Court made the new sentencing requirements apply to cases since June 2002.

That is when the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling known as Ring v. Arizona that was a premise for striking down Florida's death-penalty sentencing system in 2016. In each of the cases Wednesday, the Death Row inmates had been sentenced to death before the Ring decision and argued that the new sentencing requirements should also apply to their cases.

The inmates who lost their appeals Wednesday were Donald David Dilbeck in a Leon County case; Steven Maurice Evans in an Orange County case; Etheria Verdell Jackson in a Duval County case; Gregory Alan Kokal in a Duval County case; Harold Gene Lucas in a Lee County case; John Christopher Marquard in a St. Johns County case; William Earl Sweet in a Duval County case; Steven Richard Taylor in a Duval County case; William Gregory Thomas in a Duval County case; and Robert J. Trease in a Sarasota County case.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/florid...enalty-appeals

On May 19, 2021, Taylor’s habeas petition was denied by the Federal District Court. He was also denied a certificate of appealability.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...444/270527/58/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

On February 13, 2023, oral argument will be heard in Taylor's appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.

https://www.ca11.uscourts.gov/sites/...9_S_Taylor.pdf

Habeas relief denied by the Eleventh Circuit.

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal...023-04-11.html

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

The panel was made up of Judges Wilson (Clinton), Jill Pryor (Obama) and Newsom (Trump).

En banc rehearing denied on June 26, 2023.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...0Extension.pdf

Final petition for writ of certiorari filed October 24, 2023.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/Search....5C23-5916.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information