Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Christopher Gonzalez - California Death Row

Frank Christopher Gonzalez - California Death Row

Deputy Maria Cecilia Rosa

Frank Christopher Gonzalez

Summary of Offense:

Sentenced to death in Los Angeles County on May 12, 2008 for first-degree murder, attempted robbery and the special circumstance allegation of murder during an attempted robbery for an attack on Deputy Maria Cecilia Rosa, who was gunned down about 6 a.m. outside a colleague's home on March 28, 2006. Jurors also found Gonzales used a handgun to kill Rosa, who was on her way to work as a jailer at the sheriff's Inmate Reception Center.

In December 2008, a separate jury convicted co-defendant Justin Ashley Flint, 21, of first-degree murder and attempted robbery in connection with the attack. He was sentenced in January 2009 to 29 years to life in state prison.

May 12, 2008

LONG BEACH (AP) - A man convicted of murdering an off-duty Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy during an attempted robbery in Long Beach in March 2006 was formally sentenced to death Monday.

Frank Christopher Gonzales, 27, was convicted April 22 and jurors Thursday recommended he be sentenced to death. Long Beach Superior Court Judge Joan Comparet-Cassani followed the jury's recommendation and formally handed down the death sentence Monday.

Gonzales was convicted of first-degree murder, attempted robbery and the special circumstance allegation of murder during an attempted robbery for the attack on Maria Rosa, who was gunned down about 6 a.m. outside a colleague's home.

Jurors also found Gonzales used a handgun to kill Rosa, who was on her way to work as a jailer at the sheriff's Inmate Reception Center.

In December, a separate jury convicted co-defendant Justin Ashley Flint, 21, of first-degree murder and attempted robbery in connection with the attack. He was sentenced in January to 29 years to life in state prison.

Gonzalez's opening brief on direct appeal was filed on April 1, 2014.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...doc_no=S163643

Gonzalez's direct appeal has been fully briefed before the California Supreme Court since December 28, 2015.

http://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca.g...doc_no=S163643

On September 9, 2021, oral argument will be heard in Gonzalez's direct appeal before the California Supreme Court.

https://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/...s/SSEP921A.PDF

Death sentence and conviction affirmed on direct appeal

https://law.justia.com/cases/califor...1/s163643.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Man’s conviction, death sentence upheld for deputy’s murder in Long Beach

By Long Beach Post News

The California Supreme Court today upheld a man’s conviction and death sentence for murdering an off-duty Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy during an attempted robbery in Long Beach more than 15 years ago.

The state’s highest court noted in its 75-page ruling that Frank Christopher Gonzalez “informed multiple agents that he had shot a female police officer” during an undercover operation following his arrest on unrelated charges.

“Gonzalez also disclosed numerous details about the crime, explaining (among other things) that he had left a bicycle at the scene, that he had thrown the murder weapon into the water and that he had not left any footprints because the crime occurred on pavement,” Justice Joshua P. Groban wrote on behalf of the panel.

The ruling noted that Gonzalez and co-defendant Justin Ashley Flint “were also heard discussing killing any witnesses to the murder, and Flint stated that the victim would not have been killed if she had given up her wallet.”

Gonzalez, now 41, was sentenced to death in May 2008, less than a month after being convicted of the first-degree murder and attempted robbery of Maria Rosa, who was gunned down about 6 a.m. on March 28, 2006.

Jurors found true the special-circumstance allegation of murder during an attempted robbery, along with an allegation that he used a gun to kill the 30-year-old woman, who was on her way to work at the sheriff’s Inmate Reception Center.

During the trial’s penalty phase, the prosecution “presented voluminous testimony from many witnesses describing numerous violent crimes that Gonzalez had perpetrated against them. Those crimes involved a string of armed robberies that occurred in 1994, two shootings that occurred in 2006 (one of which left the victim with five bullet wounds), an armed carjacking and an attack on a prison guard,” according to the ruling.

The panel noted that Gonzalez’s sister and then-girlfriend “provided additional, highly incriminating testimony” in which they explained they had pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice after law enforcement intercepted conversations in which they were heard fabricating an alibi for Gonzalez.

One of Gonzalez’s trial attorneys, Franklin Peters Jr., had implored jurors to consider the type of environment in which his client was raised. Jurors heard from the defendant’s father, who was incarcerated for murder when his son was just three years old and who remained in state prison at the time of his son’s trial.

Peters had urged Judge Joan Comparet-Cassani to consider that the defendant “did not have a male figure of any significance in his life at all,” his mother battled heroin addiction and Gonzalez was addicted to methamphetamine.

A separate jury convicted Flint of first-degree murder and attempted robbery in connection with the attack, and he was sentenced to 29 years to life in state prison. Flint, now 35, is eligible for a parole suitability hearing in May 2025, according to records from the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

https://lbpost.com/news/mans-convict...-in-long-beach
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

On November 2, 2021, Gonzalez filed a habeas petition before the California Supreme Court.

https://appellatecases.courtinfo.ca....JSQCAgCg%3D%3D

Distributed for conference May 12, 2022.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/21-7296.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Gonzalez's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of California
    Case Numbers: (S163643)
    Decision Date: December 2, 2021

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...22zor_hgcj.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information