Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: James Biela - Nevada Death Row

Oh lordy lordy, it's on Facebook it must be true!

Police: DNA links Denison murder suspect to crimes

Authorities said critical DNA evidence links James Michael Biela to the strangulation and sexual assault of Brianna, who disappeared from her friend’s home in January, and whose body was found Feb. 15 in a southeast Reno field.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

sharon
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post

I did not say that it was true Just because it is on Facebook. Obviously you did not read the website, or look at the exhibits... They ARE real, you can look them up, They are public records. Do some research before you jump to conclusions! They LIED! The media LIED! The cops LIED! It's not like this sort of thing is rare either.

This website has plenty of legal documentation too. https://sites.google.com/site/justiceforbiela/

I did not see a legal document. I saw emails, a copy of a phone record, pages 7 and 8 of the DNA testing (where are pages 1-6 and page 9?)

I did like this quote

My “lawyers” strategy was that only DNA mattered in this case; ergo, all of the “small”, circumstantial stuff, went completely unchallenged,
    Seems to me the defense attorney was on point!

BTW former Deputy D.A. Elliot Sattler is now a judge.

Governor appoints Deputy D.A. Elliott Sattler to Washoe judgeship

sharon
    First of all, I’m pretty sure a police incident report and a sworn affidavit ARE legal documents! Second, they LIED about the DNA on several different occasions. They never turned the DNA over to the defense. Which, BTW! IS THE LAW. Why would they not turn it over? Maybe because it was consumed and there was nothing left? So why would they keep telling the court that they did have it when there is no way that they did? The DNA was requested and yet, they said that it was not. The proof that it was requested is on that website.
    Now let’s talk about the DNA being consumed…
    “What else is not known is that Mr. Sattler told my “lawyers” way back in April 2009 that no DNA remained for re-testing. None! My “lawyer” even said that in court on May 1, 2009, which Mr. Sattler did not “correct”. Thus, it was everyone’s belief that this evidence was all gone.”
    “Skip back to the hearing on 11/6/09. The W.C.C.L. director, Renee Romero, testified (2) two separate times that the DNA extract still remained (welcome back, DNA!). She testified that it could still be disclosed and sent out for re-testing, but that the defense never requested it. My “lawyers” just sat there and said nothing.
    At the end of this hearing, the judge asked Mr. Sattler if extract remained still. He said yes. The judge then asked him if the defense could have it. Sattler said, “Certainly”. But did they disclose it? Nope!”
    “My trial was (6) six months after that hearing. It was learned by an independent DNA analyst, Dr. Miller, that the state/W.C.C.L. sent him “sticks” with no cotton tip left; i.e. no chance for DNA. He also received empty tubes that once allegedly held this phantom DNA. (It appears that the DNA disappeared again.)”
    How are they going to test sticks for DNA? NO cotton tip?
    Oh, and before I forget… To learn MORE about Miss Renee Romero, Look up the case: Brown v. Farwell
    She lied in that case too…
    Now, let’s talk about Exhibit 2. Page 7 and 8 of the DNA testing. This exhibit shows DNA samples collected from the vaginal and anal areas of Ms. Denison.
    If you look where the arrow is at D2S1338 you will see the #’s 17 18 21 This is the sample from the vaginal and anal area.
    If you look at Josh Biela, same line: D2S1338 you will see the # 18
    If you look at Mr. Biela, same line: D2S1338 you will see the #’s 18 24
    If you look at Ms. Denison, same line D2S1338 you will see the #’s 18 and 21. This is her DNA, and as you can see from the first line… 18 and 21 are hers. The allele 17 belongs to no one in any of these profiles. So who does the allele 17 belong to? I’m sure you know, because you obviously know everything. Please clear that up for me.
    Now let’s talk about exhibit # 3:
    The R.P.D is requesting that the DNA be sent to a lab in Florida to determine a physical profile. Now please tell me why they need to determine a physical profile in March 2008 when they already have Mr. Biela’s DNA? According to them, His DNA is a match. So why send it to Florida to be tested for a profile?
    “The W.C.C.L. did not find any suspect DNA from Ms. Denison. Not mine and not yours. No one’s. In fact, in mid-March the R.P.D. was asking the W.C.C.L. to send the DNA samples from Ms. Denison to another lab in Florida to determine a physical profile. (See Exhibit #3)”
    Also, if you look towards the right hand side of the page, It states, “Sample not sent, Not enough for testing.”
    Right there! They never had enough DNA to get a full profile. See it for yourself...
    This is called PROOF!! And I was already aware that Sattler is now a Judge. If you would have actually opened your eyes while reading James’ manifesto on his website, you would have seen that in the conclusion.
    And if you're going to quote him, finish the quote.
    "My “lawyers” strategy was that only DNA mattered in this case; ergo, all of the “small”, circumstantial stuff, went completely unchallenged, thus allowing Mr. Sattler to lie repeatedly about everything else too. So let’s discuss some of the bigger fables."

You may be interested in jumping on these bandwagons as well.

Hank Skinner
    Darlie Lynn Routier
    Thomas Arthur

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post

I don't understand how someone who is on death row can have a facebook page and regularly update and profess their claim of innocence...something terribly wrong with that.
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict TrudieG's Avatar
    This one is too easy Helen smuggled in smartphones. I was reading an article where even Charles Manson was caught with one under his mattress or, Someone is maintaining a facebook page for him. My guess would be a smartphone.

woodyhoyle
    These types of women are indestructible and lack common sense, just look at Richard Ramirez' fan club during his trial !

Justice Delayed: Frustration mounts over delays in Biela case

RENO, Nev. (www.MyNews4.com & KRNV) - It was one of the most high profile crimes this area has ever seen. The rape and murder of Brianna Denison.

The man convicted of the crime was sentenced to death. But our On Your Side Investigation has uncovered there is growing frustration over the appeals process in this case.

That's because only one appeal has been filed and that was an automatic appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court after James Biela received the death penalty.

We found that since then not much at all has happened and Biela is no closer to having his sentence carried out.

Court documents obtained by news 4 show Biela's attorneys have been granted ten extensions over the last two years to put off filing a Writ of Habeus Corpus. That's a legal motion contesting his arrest.

The ongoing delays prompted the Washoe County District Attorney's office to file its own response to the court in February stating in part:

"Biela's current lawyers have done virtually nothing to meet their obligations."

Newly elected Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks was one of the prosecutors who helped get Biela convicted in a case where DNA evidence seemed to remove any doubt about his guilt.

Still, Biela's taxpayer funded attorneys have been able to put his appeals on hold for the last two years by filing for and getting repeated extensions.

"This particular case is going slower than we would like to see and so its frustrating," Hicks said.

Biela's lead lawyer Ed Reed declined to speak on camera about the case. But he did tell News 4 that he feels there's a chance Biela's conviction could be overturned.

As for the delays Reed says he has more than seven thousand pages of documents to sort through from the trial. And he says that takes time.

But the Washoe County District Attorney says its taking too much time.

"Naturally there might be a request for a few continuances and that might be reasonable. But we've gotten beyond that point." Hicks said.

Presiding Judge Scott Freeman seems to agree. Court records show he stated during a recent hearing:

"Be sure of this. There will be no further extensions."

But the question is why have there been ten requests for extensions already? We asked D.A. Chris Hicks about that.

"The cynical side of me says in a general sense it serves a purpose for them. They're trying to preserve their client's life, so why speed it up ?" he said.

Defendants in death penalty cases are guaranteed the right to appeal in both state and federal court. That's to ensure their rights as the accused are protected.

But delays and repeated extensions can take their toll on the victim's families. And no one knows that better than Lauren Denison, Brianna's aunt.

"When you are convicted which he was of murdering Brianna, and its proven by DNA, I mean how many times does it need to be revisited, and why ?" Denison asked.

Denison says she's not worried about Biela getting his conviction overturned because of what she views as overwhelming DNA evidence that was presented at trial.

But she says every delay is a painful reminder that in our legal system, criminals are often afforded more rights than their victims.

"Just to have to look at him and know that he gets appeals, Brianna's gone. It hurts," Denison said.

A new deadline is set for Wednesday, May 6th in this case. That's when Biela's lawyers have to turn in their paperwork on that Writ of Habeus Corpus. Once it's submitted, the district attorney's office will be given time to respond and then a hearing will be held. But it may be months before that happens.

And don't forget, with every month this case drags on, taxpayers are footing the bill for Biela's defense.

http://www.mynews4.com/content/news/...xIENaUm2Q.cspx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information