Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antonio (Anthony) Lavon Doyle - Nevada Death Row

Antonio (Anthony) Lavon Doyle - Nevada Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

Sentenced to death for in the beating death of 20-year-old Ebony Mason in 1994 in a remote area of Clark County.

Sterling Atkins was also sentenced to death for the crime. For more on Atkins, see: http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...terling+atkins

February 4, 2000

Court denies petition of death row inmate Doyle

CARSON CITY -- Anthony L. Doyle, sentenced to death for the beating-strangulation of a 20-year-old woman in Clark County, has lost his second appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court.

Doyle, who will be 29 on Wednesday, was convicted of the Jan. 16, 1994, slaying of Ebony Mason whose body was found in the desert near Las Vegas.

The court rejected claims by Doyle that his attorney failed to adequately research and prepare for trial. He complained his lawyer failed to develop proper instructions to the jury; failed to try to get evidence suppressed and failed to keep out of the trial statements he had made to the police.

He was initially convicted of first-degree murder, first-degree kidnapping and sexual assault. The Supreme Court, in its first decision on the case, ruled there was insufficient evidence to show the sexual assault occurred prior to Mason's death. It reversed the conviction for sexual assault but upheld the other convictions and the death penalty.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2000...#ixzz2RrUv3TvP

On February 28, 2000, Doyle filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/nev...00cv00101/6120

On May 14, 2008, Doyle filed an amended habeas petition in Federal District Court.

On July 24, 2009, Doyle filed an untimely and successive state habeas petition.

On July 29, 2009, Doyle sought a motion for stay and abeyance of federal proceedings so that he could exhaust his state remedies.

On February 14, 2013, Clark County Judge Togliatti denied Doyle's petition.

Doyle's case is now under appeal before the Nevada Supreme Court, with the State of Nevada having filed its answering brief on October 14, 2013.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...pell=1&ct=clnk [The brief is quite informative in showing how murderers in Nevada drag out their appeals]

In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Doyle's certiorari petition.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Nevada
    Case Nos.: (62807)
    Decision Date: September 22, 2015
    Rehearing Denied: December 2, 2015

http://www.supremecourt.gov/search.a...es/15-8405.htm

On October 22, 2020, Doyle’s habeas petition was denied by the Federal District Court.

He was granted a COA on one issue and denied on the rest.

He was also denied an evidentiary hearing.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ne...00cv00101/6120
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

It’s amazing how virtually all of Nevada’s executions were all volunteers. The federal government just surpassed their execution numbers despite their statute only in existence since 1988.

Clinton could’ve executed their first one back in 1997. I’m not sure who that was. Ahh yes I went back and looked it was actually Juan Garza in 2000. Luckily Bush executed him the next year along with Timothy Mcviegh.
    Last edited by Neil; 02-24-2021 at 12:04 PM.

David Hammer also had an execution date in 2000 after dropping appeals. He later chickened out and decided to appeal. He died on the row before being executed

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    It’s amazing how virtually all of Nevada’s executions were all volunteers.
    30 years ago, Nevada was actually able to carry out an execution. In the modern era, there were not even able to carry out the execution of Scott Dozier who volunteered. They will not execute ever again.

Dozier’s execution date in July 2018 was stayed simply because the judge could. The judge was an anti and stayed the execution despite Dozier choosing to end his appeals. If you watch footage from Dozier’s last court appearance, that judge was arrogant and stated that Dozier didn’t have a right to end his appeals, thus leading to a bs stay and Dozier’s suicide months later. So much for being “Pro-Choice”.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information