Thread: Scott Raymond Dozier - Nevada

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scott Raymond Dozier - Nevada

Scott Raymond Dozier

Facts of the Crime:

Was convicted in 2007 of killing 22-year-old Jeremiah Miller in 2002 at the LaConcha Hotel and robbing him of $12,000 which Miller had brought from Phoenix to Las Vegas to purchase materials to make methamphetamine.

Court upholds death sentence in Las Vegas killing

The Nevada Supreme Court on Monday upheld the death sentence for a two-time killer who was convicted of killing a man at a Las Vegas hotel and dismembering the body.

While justices reversed deadly weapon enhancements against Scott Dozier for robbery and first-degree murder, they also concluded his trial was not unfair and his death sentence was not excessive.

“Although Dozier’s trial was not free from error, no error considered individually or cumulatively, rendered his trial unfair,” said the unanimous ruling, written by Chief Justice Nancy Saitta.

Dozier was convicted in 2007 of killing Jeremiah Miller, 22, and stealing $12,000 that Miller brought from Phoenix to Las Vegas to purchase materials to make methamphetamine.

Miller’s torso, cut into two pieces, was found in April 2002 in a suitcase in a trash bin at an apartment complex. His head, lower arms and lower legs were never recovered.

Justices agreed with Dozier’s arguments that there was insufficient evidence at trial for the deadly weapon enhancements. While officers seized a firearm from Dozier when he was arrested, it was not proven to be the murder weapon.

Additionally, the medical examiner testified it was likely that the victim had been shot but could not say so with any certainty. Justices also noted the medical examiner’s testimony at trial was inconsistent with testimony at an earlier preliminary hearing, where she was not as certain to a cause of death.

Justices also discounted testimony from two witnesses who said Dozier admitted to shooting Miller, citing the witnesses’ drug use.

“Although there is some evidence that Dozier used a deadly weapon in the commission of these crimes, we cannot conclude that a seizure of an unrelated firearm, inconsistent testimony from the medical examiners concerning a part of the victim’s body that was never recovered, and admissions heard under the influence of illicit drugs rises to proof beyond a reasonable doubt,” the ruling said.

But justices said other evidence and testimony, including someone who had seen Miller’s partially dismembered remains in Dozier’s hotel bathtub, were sufficient to uphold the first-degree murder conviction.

In 2005, Dozier was convicted of second-degree murder in Arizona for the murder four years earlier of Jasen Green, 27. Authorities in that case said Green’s body was placed in a large plastic container and dumped in the desert north of Phoenix.

In a separate Nevada death penalty case, justices Monday again affirmed the sentence for Michael Hogan, convicted in the 1984 shooting death of his girlfriend, Heidi Hinkley, and the attempted murder of her teenage daughter.

http://www.rgj.com/article/20120123/...-Vegas-killing

In today's United States Supreme Court orders, Dozier's petition writ of certiorari and motion for leave to proceed in forma pauperis was DENIED.

On appeal from the Supreme Court of Nevada
    Case Nos.: (50817)
    Decision Date: January 20, 2012
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Here's a fan letter he wrote to a NY music editor that works for VICE (kinda entertainment magazine).

A few months ago a death-row inmate from Nevada sent our NY music editor, Kelly McClure, a fan letter. His name is Scott Dozier, and he seems like a nice guy on paper – on the other hand, he did steal $12,000 from a dude who had brought the cash to buy stuff to make meth, then shot him, hacked the body into two pieces and put it into a suitcase. He also killed another man in 2002, and they never found that guy’s head or arms. So just keep that in mind when you read the excerpt from his fan letter below.

Dear Ms. McClure,

You are hilarious and awesome and I love you, not, however, like you’d reasonably (and correctly the vast majority of the time) presume someone on death row means when they say they “love” you.

You’ve made it plain you’re a lesbian – which is terrific, but again, not like you’d reasonably presume when someone on death row says, “Gee… I think it’s terrific you’re a lesbian”. (I guess I can reasonably presume you’re not the same Kelly McClure from Boulder City, NV, who shared her virginity with me in the shower at Jeff Yinger’s house in the summer of ’85 for two reasons: I) I can’t imagine you’re old enough. II) you’re a lesbian… although she did play softball…)

I digress.

If you’ve ever had even the most remote personal or journalistic interest about life on death row, living as a “condemned to die” individual, associations or dynamics therein from someone who is not a creep… I’m your guy.

I’ve written to the magazine before to no avail, and will likely continue to until the government-sanctioned murder of my corporeal being (and maybe my “soul” too, guess we’ll see ϑ), as I’ve got a surplus of time on my hands and a catastrophic dearth of intelligence, hilarity and awesomeness. I can only draw and work out so much.

If you’re interested you can check out my “fit for public consumption” pastels at/on my Facebook page/wall (whatever the frick it’s called). No (in the event you’re wondering), I do not have FB/computer access, it’s managed by my sister and a friend.

My most sincere thanks for the little taste I get monthly, the mag rocks way hard ass, I love it (and yes I’d marry it). I read it cover to cover at least three times and wait with bated breath for the next issue to arrive.

Be nice to yourself, all my very, very best

Sincerely,
    S.R. Dozier
    AKA Skoti

While an inmate asks to die, Nevada searches for lethal injection cocktail

Scott Dozier wants to die.

And Nevada wants to kill him.

He is one of 81 men on death row, but the state Department of Corrections can’t find the drugs to carry out lethal injection, even after spending $860,000 to build a new execution chamber in Ely.

After sitting on death row for more than nine years, Dozier sent a handwritten, two-page letter to his attorneys and District Judge Jeniffer Togliatti on Oct. 31 requesting that his appeal process cease and he “be put to death.”

The 46-year-old, also known as Chad Wyatt, Raymond Dozier, Scott Raymond Dozier and Chadwick Quincy Wyatt, offered no explanation for giving up on the legal system and, in turn, life.

State prison officials recently said that obtaining the drug cocktail for lethal injection has proved nearly impossible.

Less than a month before Dozier delivered his letter, prison officials announced that they had sent out 247 requests for proposals after a stockpile of at least one drug used in executions expired, and not one response was received. It’s unclear whether the state has other options to obtain the drug.

The state has executed 12 inmates since capital punishment was reinstated by the Nevada Legislature in 1977. All but one were inmates who, like Dozier, voluntarily gave up their appeals.

A Michigan Law Review article written two years before Dozier was sent to death row analyzed cases of death penalty volunteers and found that nearly 88 percent of those inmates “struggled with mental illness and/or substance abuse,” according to the Death Penalty Information Center.

The prison has no execution orders pending, but Dozier’s could be the next.

When asked what would happen if Dozier’s execution were ordered by a judge, a Corrections Department spokeswoman responded in an email, which stated: “We’ve exhausted all current options of obtaining drugs for executions. NDOC is working closely with the Attorney General’s Office, the Governor’s Office and will be working with the Legislature to establish our direction moving forward.”

Meanwhile, the Clark County district attorney’s office filed court documents asking Togliatti to decide whether Dozier is mentally capable of understanding his death wish.

Dozier “has the right to stop litigating his case,” wrote Chief Deputy District Attorney Jonathan VanBoskerck , “even if his choice is to submit to a death sentence.”

“We don’t force people to undergo invasive competency evaluations just because we disagree with their decision,” VanBoskerck said in an interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Meanwhile, defense lawyer Christopher Oram argues that Dozier should be evaluated by doctors through a separate competency proceeding, which could take months.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/c...ction-cocktail
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Nevada death row inmate making every effort to expedite execution

By David Ferrara
    The Las Vegas Review-Journal

In a mid-November call to a longtime friend, five days before his 46th birthday, Scott Dozier contemplated dying by firing squad.

“That would be my favorite way,” he said. “That would be the way to go, if it was up to me.”

But it’s not up to him.

The condemned man, sent to Nevada’s death row more than nine years ago for his second killing, knew that state law did not allow for a firing squad and that the Department of Corrections could not obtain the drug cocktail to carry out his execution.

Still, he’s doing everything he can to speed it up through the court system.

Meanwhile, a judge is scheduled to appoint a new lawyer for Dozier this week, after defense attorney Christopher Oram asked to be taken off the case.

“I feel morally miserable when I am writing emails to the state and to the court demanding that Mr. Dozier be brought here so that we can proceed in an expedited fashion to have him executed,” Oram told a judge earlier this month. “I didn’t sign up for this. I signed up to try and help him.”

Dozier first waived his appeals on Oct. 31, when he sent a letter to District Judge Jennifer Togliatti asking that he be put to death.

He was sentenced to die in December 2007 after a four-week trial for the murder and mutilation of an Arizona man in a Strip hotel.

A Clark County jury convicted him of killing 22-year-old Jeremiah Miller at the now-closed La Concha Motel and robbing him of $12,000 that Miller had brought from Phoenix to Las Vegas to purchase materials to make methamphetamine.

Miller’s torso, cut into two pieces, was found in April 2002 in a suitcase in a trash bin at an apartment complex. His head, lower arms and lower legs never were recovered.

In 2005, Dozier was convicted in Arizona of second-degree murder and given a 22-year prison sentence. In that case, prosecutors said he shot and killed a 27-year-old man, stuffed his body into a plastic container and dumped it in the desert near Phoenix.

‘MY GOAL IS TO BE EXECUTED’

Standing before Togliatti and flanked by three corrections officers and his attorney at a recent court appearance, Dozier made his desires clear and raised questions about what would happen should Nevada legislators decide to abolish the death penalty.

“My goal is to be executed, first and foremost,” said a shackled Dozier, wearing an orange prison jumpsuit, black rectangular glasses and white Nikes. “But if I’m not, and I’m going to be to stuck alive, I would like to know what my options are.”

Nevada’s last execution, by lethal injection, occurred at the Nevada State Prison in April 2006.

The state has executed 12 inmates since capital punishment was reinstated by the Legislature in 1977. All but one were inmates who, like Dozier, voluntarily gave up their appeals. Last year, prison officials sent out 247 requests for proposals after a stockpile of at least one drug used in executions expired, and not one response was received.

Other states have cut back on executions, as only 20 people were executed across the nation in 2016, the fewest in 25 years. On Thursday, a federal judge in Ohio found that state’s lethal injection process unconstitutional.

Legislators in Nevada are weighing a bill that would make life without the possibility of parole the maximum criminal penalty.

Dozier has asked to have another attorney explain the legal process to him should his death wish be stopped by state law. The judge may have trouble finding someone who sees eye to eye with him.

“I have an inherent distrust of most people that are doing death penalty work, because I believe they are either politically or personally anti-death penalty,” Dozier said. “And as such, I don’t know that they actually can give me an objective assessment and not skew it towards trying to convince me otherwise. Even if they could give me an objective one, I might be a little dubious about it.”

Togliatti said she likely would order an evaluation of Dozier’s competency.

“If he really wants to be executed, and talking to a doctor will help him achieve that goal, my guess is he’s going to cooperate and talk to a doctor,” the judge said. “Is that true?”

“That is absolutely correct,” he said.

Recordings of 47 of Dozier’s recent death row phone calls were made public this month through court exhibits. The conversations offer a window into his intelligence, competence and views on the world he knows from his cell.

He tells friends and family he is tired of life; he envisions his path to the execution chamber; he expresses grief over the death of his grandmother; he boasts of his muscular physique, chiseled by boredom-induced prison exercise; and he offers relationship advice.

‘NOTHING TO CRY OVER’

Late last year, Dozier called another friend to let her know that he had requested that his appeals cease, and he explained that he soon would be headed to court seeking an execution date.

“Oh, my God,” his friend said. “Are you serious?”

“Yeah,” he replied. “I’m serious.”

She asked if others knew of his decision.

“No one thinks it’s a stellar idea, but they all understand, you know,” he told her. “This has been a long time coming, and I finally just got fed up with it.”

She wanted to know why.

“I’m (expletive) so over this scene, and I am, yeah, actually I’m kind of stressed because … the chemicals to do it have expired,” he said. “And so I don’t know. There’s going to be some issues, but hopefully they’ll get it done and not decide to abolish it and leave me (expletive) hung out.”

She became emotional.

“This is nothing to cry over, I promise,” he said, then laughed.

Dozier also called his sister to talk about the legal steps he anticipated before the judge could sign his death warrant.

He said he had spoken with an American Civil Liberties Union attorney about capital punishment and his own life’s worth, a theme echoed in other phone calls.

“Perhaps there’s some fundamental differences in our philosophies of life,” he said he told the lawyer. “And I think I recognize this causes you cognitive dissonance because it’s just never going to make sense. But I think you find life has a deeper inherent value than I believe, especially in mine.”

http://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/c...dite-execution
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Judge paves way for convicted killer Scott Dozier's execution

Scott Dozier may soon get his death wish.

District Judge Jennifer Togliatti on Tuesday ordered prosecutors to write an execution warrant for the convicted killer and deliver it to her next week. Once she signs the order, state law requires the act be carried out no less than 60 days and no more than 90 days, which means Dozier could be dead by the end of October.

And now Nevada Department of Corrections officials say they can carry out a fatal injection, despite previous reports of futile efforts to obtain the drug cocktail for lethal injection.

"If we are court-ordered to do it, we could make it happen," said prison spokeswoman Brooke Keast, though she could not elaborate on how.

The condemned 46-year-old man, sent to Nevada's death row nearly 10 years ago for his 2nd killing, might be the only one with the power to halt his own execution. Less than a year ago, on Oct. 31, 2016, Dozier sent a letter to the judge, requesting that his appeal process cease and he "be put to death."

Togliatti ordered a mental evaluation to ensure Dozier fully understood his request.

On Tuesday, the judge read from a doctor's 13-page evaluation, which found "no grounds - health, mental, psychological or otherwise - that would impede the defendant choosing to negate his rights to postconviction and have the death sentence imposed."

Dozier was not in court Tuesday, but he is expected at a July 27 hearing, when the judge could sign off on his execution. Earlier this year, he told Togliatti: "My goal is to be executed, first and foremost."

His lawyer, Tom Ericsson, told the judge Tuesday that Dozier's position remains the same.

"Mr. Dozier's been representing to me that he is still set on waiving his appellate rights, and he's doing that, obviously, against my counsel and direction," Ericsson said. "He seems quite adamant about that, as of this time."

Dozier was sentenced to die in December 2007 after a 4-week trial for the murder and mutilation of an Arizona man in a Strip hotel.

A Clark County jury convicted him of killing 22-year-old Jeremiah Miller at the now-closed La Concha Motel and robbing him of $12,000 that Miller had brought from Phoenix to Las Vegas to purchase materials to make methamphetamine.

Miller's torso, cut into 2 pieces, was found in April 2002 in a suitcase in a trash bin at an apartment complex. His head, lower arms and lower legs never were recovered.

In 2005, Dozier was convicted in Arizona of 2nd-degree murder and given a 22-year prison sentence. In that case, prosecutors said he shot and killed a 27-year-old man, stuffed his body into a plastic container and dumped it in the desert near Phoenix.

If the state is unable to carry out Dozier's execution, he wants the legal right to proceed with postconviction appeals, his lawyer told the judge. Prosecutors didn't argue.

Less than a month before Dozier stopped his appeals, prison officials announced that they had sent out 247 requests for proposals after a stockpile of at least 1 drug used in executions expired, and not 1 response was received.

Nevada's last execution, by lethal injection, occurred at the Nevada State Prison in April 2006.

The state has executed 12 inmates since capital punishment was reinstated by the Nevada Legislature in 1977. All but 1 were inmates who, like Dozier, voluntarily gave up their appeals.

Legal experts said Dozier could ask to stop his execution up to the 11th hour, or a 3rd-party without direct connections to the case, such as the American Civil Liberties Union, could try.

Defense attorney Scott Coffee, who has handled roughly 20 death penalty cases in the past 15 years and analyzes capital punishment across the country, expects some sort of intervention.

"Where do you get to the point that he's gone too far, and he can no longer take it back?" Coffee said. "That's an ongoing question, and I don't think that question's resolved anyplace.

"If Dozier is executed, it's not because the state wanted it, it's because he wanted it. If it goes through, I don't know how you call this anything other than a state-assisted suicide."

(Source: The Las Vegas Review-Journal)
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Thread Information