Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Scott Raymond Dozier - Nevada

Quote Originally Posted by one_two_bomb View Post
    Thanks. Now I feel accomplished
    I see you are still trying to get the last word. NO NEED TO ANSWER, practice restraint.
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Death row interview: Denied two executions, Dozier says waiting for death is 'torture'

Scott Dozier was ready to die.

He spent the past several months wondering: Is this the night? Instead, he’s back to doing to the same thing he’s been doing for the past decade.

The twice convicted killer has been living on death row at Ely State Prison. In 2007, he was sentenced to death for the murder of 22-year-old Jeremiah Miller, whose decapitated and dismembered body was found in a suitcase outside a Las Vegas motel.

Dozier spent the past year pushing state officials to move forward with his execution. And if he had succeeded, it would have been the first execution in Nevada in 12 years.

But his execution was postponed — twice.

His execution has spurred an ongoing debate over the lethal injection drugs and the state’s death penalty law. The Reno Gazette Journal spoke to him in a telephone interview.

Dealing with the delay

Dozier spoke about how he’s been dealing with the recent delay on his execution.

“I don’t think they want to do it, quite frankly,” he said.

Dozier was scheduled to die by lethal injection on July 11. Both his parents and sister were visiting him one last time at Ely State Prison when they learned the execution was postponed.

He said his family told him about the lawsuit Alvogen filed against the state and prison officials.

“I thought, ‘Oh here we go again,’” Dozier said. “I was like, ‘Man, these (expletive) bastards.’

“And I was concerned for my family.”

State officials planned to use for the first time a three-drug cocktail that included a large dose of fentanyl, midazolam and cisatracurium.

But the New Jersey-based drug manufacturer claimed the Nevada Department of Corrections fraudulently obtained one of its sedatives, midazolam, to be used in the lethal injection.

When asked what he thought about the drug companies intervening in his execution, Dozier said it was “their business” and that he couldn’t argue on their concept.

“It just seems like they’re a little late to the party on that whole theory,” Dozier said. “I don’t really think they care. I think they started caring when it started affecting them, bottom line.”

“I mean it sucks for me,” he added. “I’ve been thinking about writing them and telling them, ‘You know what, would you let (the drugs) be used for state assisted suicide, because I am in a terminal situation and I’m suffering?”

Life on suicide watch

After his execution was stopped, Dozier said he spent the next five days on suicide watch.

“That can be seen as wholly unjust,” Dozier said. “I am merely trying to get the state of Nevada to exercise and enforce a legally obtained sentence, and I’m continually punished for it.”

Dozier said he had trouble coping with the situation because he couldn’t see or speak to his family or his lawyers.

“I have no property, no phone access,” Dozier said. “Technically, I go to a jail inside the jail for them not being able to do their thing.”

He was put in a prison cell he described as the “strip cell.”

“I had my boxers, and the lights were on 24 hours a day,” Dozier said. “You’re in your boxers with just a suicide blanket, and you’re not allowed anything.

“…You’re supposed to eat your food with your hands because you can’t have anything. So, you need a paper tray for your food.”

Dozier said guards stood outside his prison cell door. From there, he was moved to what he called an “observation cell,” where he was only allowed to have bed sheets and a few items of clothing.

When asked if he was suicidal, Dozier responded with a firm “no.”

“If I’m suicidal, I wouldn’t be (expletive) with this whole program,” Dozier said. “I don’t even want to die. I would just rather be dead than in prison.”

Dozier said he wasn’t scared of death. But he also wouldn’t be “dragging” his family through this ordeal if he was suicidal.

“I’m very close to my family,” Dozier said. “Not only do I love my brother and sister, but I like them a lot, you know what I’m saying? They’re outstanding people at their own accord.”

Dozier’s ex-wife, Angela Drake, declined to comment for this story and emphasized that his family wasn’t talking with the media. Attempts at reaching Dozier’s family for further comment were unsuccessful.

“I really feel like they’re almost doing this, the extra bull---- at the end, in order to dissuade me from doing this,” he said, referring to state officials who placed him on suicide watch.

Still waiting for death

Dozier said he wasn't sure how the state will move forward with his execution. He described himself as being "clearly out of the loop."

Nevada Lawmakers and Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval have not called for changes to ensure executions can be carried out. Sandoval's spokeswoman, Mary-Sarah Kinner, previously told the Associated Press that any changes should come from the Legislature and the next governor.

"There’s a whole bunch of speculations (about the execution) that I just don’t even know how to start answering and not even the people I would normally turn to for speculations have answers for either," Dozier said.

“I know Sandoval has been very clear that he’s not going to push for a change in method,” he said. “I don’t know why they won’t do a firing squad.”

Dozier said the execution seemed unlikely, especially when he learned that the state planned to use midazolam in the lethal injection. In the past, midazolam has been blamed for botched executions in several states, including Arizona, Ohio, Alabama, Arkansas and Florida.

In June, the state’s execution plan was revised to substitute midazolam for expired prison stocks of diazepam, another sedative commonly known as Valium.

Currently, several stocks of cisatracurium were set to expire this month, according to documents obtained by the state Department of Corrections.

Dozier said he believes the state’s execution protocol will likely be revised by the time another execution date is set.

“…They’ll change the protocol seven days out and do the fentanyl by itself, if they were smart,” Dozier said.

Brooke Santina, spokeswoman for the state Department of Corrections, said she could not comment on Dozier’s execution because of the pending legal litigation.

Hikma Pharmaceuticals also joined the bid in late July to block Nevada from using its product, fentanyl, in Dozier’s execution.

State officials appealed to the Supreme Court, seeking to overrule the delay to Dozier’s execution— two weeks after it was postponed.

The next court hearing in the case was set for Sept. 10 at Clark County District Court in Las Vegas.

For now, all Dozier can do is wait.

“To be clear, this is actually a state of torture, without question,” he said of waiting. “I mean at least now I know nothing’s going to happen before Sept. 10, so that’s better.”

https://www.rgj.com/story/news/2018/...ion/885739002/

Louisiana, 14 other states side with Nevada in drugmaker delay of execution

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fifteen states are siding with Nevada as it fights drug companies battling the use of their products in an inmate's execution.

Republican attorneys general from 15 states filed documents Monday with the Nevada Supreme Court arguing that drug company Alvogen's claims are a part of a "guerrilla war against the death penalty."

The attorneys general represent Arkansas, Alabama, Arizona, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah.

Nevada Attorney General Adam Laxalt has asked the state's high court to quickly review the matter so convicted killer Scott Raymond Dozier's twice-postponed lethal injection can be put back on track for mid-November.

A judge blocked Dozier's execution hours before it was scheduled in July so she could hear Alvogen's claims that Nevada improperly obtained its sedative midazolam. A second drugmaker has joined the case.

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/l.../289-581229860

Senior Member CnCP Legend CharlesMartel's Avatar
    Death-row inmate tired of postponements: ‘Just get it done’

By Associated Press
    The New York Post

LAS VEGAS — A Nevada death-row inmate whose execution has been postponed twice said a legal fight over his fate is taking a tortuous toll on him and his family and he just wants his sentence carried out.

The state should “just get it done, just do it effectively and stop fighting about it,” Scott Raymond Dozier told The Associated Press.

“I want to be really clear about this. This is my wish,” Dozier said in a brief telephone call from Ely State Prison. “They should stop punishing me and my family for their inability to carry out the execution.”

Dozier’s comments Wednesday came a month after a judge in Las Vegas postponed his execution at nearly the final hour.

Nevada law calls for capital punishment by lethal injection. But pharmaceutical companies nationwide have objected to their medicines being used in executions.

On Thursday, a third drug company is due to ask Clark County District Court Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez to let it join with two other firms suing to block the use of their products for a three-drug lethal injection.

State Attorney General Adam Laxalt’s office is expected to ask Clark County District Court Judge Elizabeth Gonzalez on Thursday to reject the Sandoz Inc. bid to join case.

State Deputy Solicitor General Jordan T. Smith has argued that the maker of a muscle paralytic agent that officials plan to use as the third drug didn’t object before Dozier’s execution was postponed in November and is now jumping on a public relations wave with drugmakers Alvogen and Hikma Pharmaceuticals.

Gonzalez last week allowed Hikma, a maker of the powerful opioid fentanyl, to join Alvogen, producer of the sedative midazolam, in a lawsuit on a speedy track toward a Sept. 10 hearing.

The companies say they publicly declared they didn’t want their products used in executions and allege that Nevada improperly obtained their drugs.

Nevada, which hasn’t executed an inmate since 2006, has become a model of the trouble that death penalty states have had in recent years obtaining drugs for lethal injections.

Prison officials want to reschedule Dozier’s execution for mid-November, and are asking the Nevada Supreme Court to quickly consider and overturn Gonzalez’s temporary order not to use midazolam.

Fifteen states are siding with Nevada before the state Supreme Court in a battle pitting prominent pharmaceutical firms against more than half the 31 states in the U.S. with the death penalty.

Dozier, 47, called the fight over his fate a legal “maelstrom.”

He said he wants to go through with his lethal injection and he really doesn’t care if he feels pain. Critics have said he’s seeking state-assisted suicide.

“I don’t even really want to die,” Dozier said, “but I’d rather die than spend my life in prison.”

The inmate said he was not contesting his convictions and sentences. But he also denied committing the 2002 drug-related murders in Phoenix and Las Vegas for which he was convicted and sentenced in 2007 to death.

“For the record, I’m asserting my innocence,” Dozier said. But, “I’m not going to be the guy in prison who is going to complain, ‘This is an injustice.’ That’s over. I had my chance.”

https://nypost.com/2018/08/09/death-...t-get-it-done/
    In the Shadow of Your Wings
    1 A Prayer of David. Hear a just cause, O Lord; attend to my cry! Give ear to my prayer from lips free of deceit!

Nevada High Court Gets Flurry of Filings in Execution Case

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Two drugmakers asked the Nevada Supreme Court on Monday to let a state court judge hear arguments before justices take up an appeal about whether the state can use their products for an execution.

The companies "and the citizens of Nevada have a substantial interest in knowing how the state intends to carry out the process of killing a human being under a death warrant," said Hikma Pharmaceuticals US, a maker of the powerful synthetic opioid fentanyl that has been blamed for overdose deaths nationwide.

State attorneys also filed documents ahead of a noon deadline pointing to a federal judge's decision last Friday in Nebraska not to block a scheduled Tuesday execution. The filing was based on what Nevada calls "copy-cat" arguments by a pharmaceutical company objecting to its drug being used in that state.

Nevada justices should follow Senior U.S. District Judge Richard Kopf's reasoning in the Nebraska case, state Deputy Solicitor General Jordan T. Smith said, and allow Nevada to carry out the execution of Scott Raymond Dozier.

"Many people of good faith object to the death penalty," Kopf observed. But he noted that Nebraska voters favor capital punishment, and courts should not frustrate the functioning of a democracy.

Two more filings were made in Nevada after the noon deadline, including drug company Sandoz Inc.'s bid to weigh in to argue against its product being used, and an additional state filing arguing that drug companies shouldn't be allowed to begin a "fishing expedition" for evidence.

The Nevada state high court didn't immediately act or schedule hearings about how to proceed with the prison's effort to set a new date for the twice-postponed lethal injection of the twice-convicted killer. But justices have acted quickly on other recent developments in the case.

Dozier, 47, is not challenging his convictions or sentences for killings in Phoenix and Las Vegas. He insists he wants to die and doesn't really care if it's painful.

His executions were called off in November and July amid court arguments over the never-before-tried combination of three drugs that the state developed for its first execution in 12 years.

Officials want to use midazolam to sedate Dozier, fentanyl to suppress his breathing and a muscle paralyzing agent called cisatracurium to immobilize him and ensure his breathing stops. Critics argue the last drug would prevent witnesses from seeing signs of unconstitutional pain and suffering.

Drugmaker Alvogen, maker of midazolam, accuses state officials of misleading justices about drug expiration dates to get the court to rush a decision toward what the company calls a misapplication of its product.

"Stated bluntly and simply, the state has manufactured a claim of emergency seeking to stampede this court into a decision without an evidentiary hearing or record, cognizant that such a record will show the illegitimate acquisition and misuse of Alvogen's product," company lawyers said.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...execution-case
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Nevada high court schedules arguments over stalled execution

By Ken Ritter
    By Associated Press

LAS VEGAS - The Nevada Supreme Court scheduled oral arguments Thursday on the stalled execution of a death-row inmate whose lethal injection is being challenged by pharmaceutical companies that don't want their drugs used.

Three justices added drug company Sandoz Inc. as a "friend of the court" participant ahead of the Sept. 12 hearing in Las Vegas and lifted a temporary hold on legal proceedings in state court about the twice-postponed execution of Scott Raymond Dozier.

It was not immediately clear if lower court hearings would be scheduled before the Supreme Court hearing involving drug firms Alvogen, Hikma Pharmaceuticals and Sandoz and attorneys for the state.

Attorney Colby Williams, representing Sandoz, said he wanted to talk with his client before commenting.

Alvogen makes the sedative midazolam. Hikma is a producer of the powerful opioid fentanyl, which is blamed for illegal-use drug overdose deaths nationwide. Sandoz makes the muscle paralytic cisatracurium.

Nevada wants to use those three drugs, but the companies accuse the state of improperly obtaining their products for a use that the companies don't allow.

State attorneys counter that Nevada prison officials lawfully obtained the drugs from a third-party supplier. The state characterizes the companies' claims as "sellers' remorse."

The state Supreme Court order came a day after prison officials filed documents saying that witnesses reported no complications during an execution in Nebraska on Tuesday of Carey Dean Moore. . That execution used — for the first time in any state — some of the same drugs that Nevada wants to use.

Nebraska officials also administered a heart-stopping drug, potassium chloride, which is not part of Nevada's planned three-drug protocol.

Media witnesses "reported no complications, only some coughing before Moore stopped moving," Nevada state attorneys said in a Wednesday court filing. Moore had been sentenced to death for killing two cab drivers in Omaha in 1979.

Robert Dunham at the Death Penalty Information Center in Washington, D.C., called it too soon to know if Moore's execution in Nebraska was trouble-free.

"Witnesses did not see the death itself," Dunham said, noting that the 60-year-old Moore was pronounced dead several minutes after a death chamber blind was lowered.

"I think we have to wait to see what the autopsy results show," Dunham said.

Media witnesses including The Associated Press saw Moore take short, gasping breaths that became deeper and more labored. He gradually turned red and then purple as the drugs were administered, and his chest heaved several times before it went still.

His eyelids briefly cracked open.

Dozier, 47, is not challenging his convictions or sentences for drug-related killings in Phoenix and Las Vegas in 2002. He said he wants to die and doesn't care if it's painful.

Nevada state law requires executions to be by lethal injection. Dozier's execution was called off in November and July amid legal arguments over the drugs the state decided to use after having trouble obtaining them for the state's first execution in 12 years.

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/p...216806220.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Nevada high court resets date, place for execution arguments

Associated Press

AS VEGAS (AP) - The Nevada Supreme Court has reset the date and location for oral arguments in the stalled execution of a death-row inmate whose lethal injection is being challenged by pharmaceutical companies.

Court spokesman Michael Sommermeyer said Tuesday the court pushed back the hearing about the twice-postponed execution of Scott Raymond Dozier to Sept. 21 in Carson City.

A Sept. 12 date in Las Vegas was canceled.

The court rejected a bid by the state attorney general's office to move up the argument date to next week. Prison officials want to reschedule Dozier's death for mid-November.

Drug firms Alvogen, Hikma Pharmaceuticals and Sandoz accuse the state of improperly obtaining their products for a use the companies don't allow.

Nevada says prison officials lawfully obtained the drugs from a third-party supplier.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/nevada-hig...tion-arguments

I wonder. Maybe I’m feeling a little mean today, but wouldn’t it be kind of fitting to make a death-row inmate - who is pulling EVERYONE’S chain by insisting he be executed - just have to wait his turn? By that I mean, why should he get ANYthing he wants?

-Dawn

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    If he waits his turn he will never be executed, since Nevada doesn't execute anyone involuntarily (or even voluntarily, it seems). We should execute him not because he wants it, but because he deserves it.

That would just waste more of the states time and money by not executing the person.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information