Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Capital Punishment News

Patrick Murphy and Ruben Gutierrez have no legal challenges to avoid Huntsville anymore.
    "How do you get drunk on death row?" - Werner Herzog

"When we get fruit, we get the juice and water. I ferment for a week! It tastes like chalk, it's nasty" - Blaine Keith Milam #999558 Texas Death Row

Gutierrez was granted Cert for some reason when he was before SCOTUS recently
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    Good, now give Murphy a new date
    Who's Murphy, the last of the one's who killed the prison guard?
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Patrick Murphy of the Texas 7
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thank you!
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Texas House votes to end 'law of parties' in death penalty cases

By John Moritz
    The Corpus Christi Caller-Times

The Texas House in an overwhelming vote Tuesday said people who are present when a capital murder is committed but who did not realize that someone might be killed should no longer be subject to the death penalty.

The author of House Bill 1340, which requires a final House vote before advancing to the Senate, said the measure should be part of a "broader and deeper conversation on the very existence of the death penalty."

Under what is commonly called the "law of parties," all conspirators are equally guilty if they take part in the commission of a felony. But under state Rep. Jeff Leach's legislation, a jury must find that a conspirator who did not actually do the killing actually intended to kill the victim to be condemned to death.

"We want to reserve the death penalty ... for cases in which there is intent," the Plano Republican said.

The bill, which passed 139-4, also would require the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles to determine how many inmates presently are on death row under the law of parties and to initiate efforts to have their sentences commuted.

According to the online publication the Death Penalty Information Center, which opposes capital punishment, Texas has executed at least six people who were convicted under the law of parties.

When he presented his bill to the House Jurisprudence Committee in early April, Leach noted said he has "struggled" with the way the death penalty is administered in Texas, which leads the nation with 570 executions since the U.S. Supreme Court allowed them to resume in 1976.

"It is not a comfortable position for a Republican to be in – to be talking about limiting the use of the death penalty in Texas," Leach said.

For much of his political career, Leach said he was a proponent of capital punishment, as are nearly all Republican lawmakers in Texas. However, a visit to Texas death row a few years ago initiated what he said was a change of heart.

Leach said after meeting an inmate condemned to death under the law of parties, his conscience is troubled that they face execution.

"I have trouble sleeping at night knowing that there is, not an innocent man on death row, but there is a man, and perhaps many men and women, on death row right now who could be put to death any day by the state when they didn't kill anybody," Leach said.

https://eu.caller.com/story/news/loc...ll/4943814001/

I like this. It’s about time.

-Dawn

No offense, but I doubt you'll be saying this if this God-awful legislation allows the likes of Halprin and St. Patrick of the Texas Seven to weasel out of their just punishment.

Fortunately, the legislation seems to afford a bit of latitude to the Parole Board, and I'm sure they'll be able to find a justification to keep those two on death row.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Not offended, but I stand by how I feel. I’m a firm believer in the death penalty, but if you didn’t actively participate in the murder, you shouldn’t be given the death penalty.

-Dawn

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Would that include someone who hires a killer to do the dirty work? IMO that person is the most culpable. I do share your sense of proportionality; the getaway driver should not be punished more severely than the triggerman, but that execution of both should be a possibility when all factors are considered, including the lesser culpability of the getaway driver. Sort of how I feel about Atkins; there should not be a blanket prohibition on putting to death those with intellectual disabilities, but the bar should be higher in imposing such a sentence on such a person, especially in cases of convicts who were followers, not leaders in the crime.

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread Information