Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Texas Capital Punishment News

The only person I can see this affecting is Joseph Prystash
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Someone who pays a hitman definitely intended for the victim to be killed, so they won't benefit. Prystash I believe was an accessory before the fact and facilitated contact between the hitman and contractor - seems he knowingly facilitated a murder.

As for the Texas 7, Murphy admitted he intended to start a firefight with police and warned 6 heavily armed and violent escapees Hawkins was coming - what other outcome could he have expected or intended. As for Halprin, those 6 present inmates were essentially a hive mind in which all were culpable.

I only really see the likes Jeffrey Wood benefiting, and I don't care if he is spared. But legislation often has unintended consequences. So we'll see.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    The law of parties in death penalty cases is already severely limited by Enmund v. Florida. This will have a negligible impact.

Senior Member Frequent Poster schmutz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fact View Post
    The law of parties in death penalty cases is already severely limited by Enmund v. Florida. This will have a negligible impact.
    Tison v Arizona walked back a fair bit of Enmund.

Edmund vs Florida was one of the few blemishes in the 80s. The other three being Sumner, Thompson and Wainwright.

Schmutz isn’t it very strange that Florida and Arizona have a history with the Supreme Court on their death penalty statutes.

They’ve been at the Supreme Court numerous times since 1976 on what can be considered constitutional in their sentencing process.
    Last edited by Neil; 05-12-2021 at 11:43 AM.

Junior Member Stranger
    Yo soi also pro death penalty but I think eye for eye and in the case of tx7, 6 executions for one death do not do justice, bearing in mind it is proven that murphy was a getaway driver and halprin did not shoot. Just my opinion on this case, as I believe in capital punishment as justice but also share opinion with ted cruz that when there is doubt (rodney reed) one should reconsider facts

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Edmund vs Florida was one of the few blemishes in the 80s. The other three being Sumner, Thompson and Wainwright.

Schmutz isn’t it very strange that Florida and Arizona have a history with the Supreme Court on their death penalty statutes.

They’ve been at the Supreme Court numerous times since 1976 on what can be considered constitutional in their sentencing process.
    That's because Florida and Arizona designed death penalty statutes that violated the Sixth Amendment. Even if it took the Court too long to realize it.

Scalia's dissent in Ring is the perfect encapsulation of how I feel about Ring and Hurst.

So you were ok with half of death row getting commuted in Florida? If Scott could’ve placed another 2 justices on the court during that time that never would’ve happened.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    The legislative session ends in 6 days and this has yet to make it out of the senate committee. I’m not even sure LG Patrick will bring it to a vote if it does.

Then with the chaplain nonsense resolved, the Dallas DA needs to immediately seek a new warrant for that fat slob Murphy before any ambiguity about the continued lawfulness of his sentence emerges.
    Don't ask questions, just consume product and then get excited for next products.

"They will hurt you. They will hurt your grandma, these people. The root cause of this is there's no discipline in the homes, they don't go to school, you know, they live off the government, no personal accountability, and they just beat people up for no reason, and it's disgusting." - Former Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters

Page 28 of 33 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread Information