Thread: Siaosi Vanisi - Nevada

Siaosi Vanisi - Nevada

Sgt. George D. Sullivan

Siaosi Vanisi

Summary of Offense:

Vanisi was found guilty and sentenced to death for killing a University of Nevada, Reno police officer in 1998. Sgt. George Sullivan had been struck at least 20 times with a hatchet in a parking lot on the UNR campus.

April 23, 2010

NV Supreme Court Denies Appeal

Vanisi was convicted of the 1998 hatchet murder of George Sullivan, a University of Nevada, Reno campus police sergeant who was attacked while in his patrol car.

In his latest appeal, Vanisi's lawyers raised numerous challenges to his death sentence, including that a judge erred by determining he was mentally competent to assist in post-conviction appeals.

http://www.kolotv.com/home/headlines/91830974.html

On July 19, 2010, Vanisi filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/nev...cv00448/74852/

Gordon Martines
    To my fellow bloggers;
    Sgt. George Sullivan was brutally killed by (Siaosi Vanisi) just because he wore the uniform and carried the Badge for UNR. George was my friend for several years. Him and his wife and children would come down from Reno and stay with me and my family at my home in Las Vegas on occasion. George continuously used to talk about joining a city police force or a county Sheriff's department. He used to talk about keeping in shape physically, mentally and spiritually and did so. I always felt that he would have made an outstanding City Policeman or Deputy Sheriff eventually. When I heard the news that he was murdered, I immediately made arrangements to travel to Reno, and contacted Reno P.D. investigators and offered whatever help I could. I was very gratified to learn that just about everyone, police and civilian alike in the entire community had mobilized to find his killer and within a short time (Vinisi), was captured while still in possession of some of George's police equipment. While examining the case file and photos from George's murder, I would not have recognized George from the photos had I not known before hand who it was. I requested, if not insisted that I be notified when it comes time for George's murderer to face his just rewards for his actions and deeds. I hope the District Attorney keeps his promise and notifies me if and when that day comes, and no matter what condition I am in or where, I will be there to witness justice served. George, rest in peace my brother. Just an old cop reflecting, Det. Gordon Martines, Robbery/Homicide, LVMPD

Thank you for sharing Mr. Martines.

George D. Sullivan Memorial Page - Sergeant George D. Sullivan 1954-1998

University of Nevada, Reno Police Sergeant George D. Sullivan was killed in the line of duty in the early morning hours of January 13, 1998. He had been with the University Police Department for 19 years. He was survived by his wife and five children. Memorial Services were held at Lawlor Events Center on January 17, 1998.

George was born in Reno , attended Reno High School and Truckee Meadows Community College, where he earned his Criminal Justice degree. He was well known and well liked by the campus community; known for his care and concern for his fellow officers, friendliness and sense of humor. He has been honored by the university with a granite memorial bench placed at the east side of Manzanita Lake. The bench was dedicated in October of 1998. The Police Services area in the Student Services Building was named the “George D. Sullivan University Police Complex” in January of 2002.

Sgt. Sullivan was killed by Siaosi Vanisi, who attacked Sullivan with a hatchet as he worked near the Clark Administration Building. Vanisi was captured in Salt Lake City, in possession of Sullivan's duty weapon and other personal effects. He was returned to Reno to stand trial. Vanisi was found guilty of first degree murder on September 29, 1999. He is currently on death row in the Nevada State Prison system.

http://www.unr.edu/police/sullivan.html

Tongan man at the center of death penalty debate in United States

Matangi Tonga Online

A landmark court case is set to take place in the American state of Nevada over whether the state’s death penalty should exempt offenders that are “mentally-ill”. The appeal case concerns Siaosi Vanisi (49), a Tongan man who is currently on death row for murder.

Vanisi was found guilty of murder and sentenced to death in 1999 for the slaying of Reno police officer Sergeant George Sullivan with a hatchet in a completely unprovoked attack near the University of Nevada on 13 January 1998. At his murder trial, testimonies by friends and family of Vanisi detailed bizarre behaviors exhibited by Vanisi prior to the murder such as “rambling”, “poor hygiene” and “lacking a sense of reality”. Despite efforts by his lawyers to pursue an insanity plea, Vanisi refused to co-operate and was deemed “competent” by the court.

However, the decision to impose the death penalty on Vanisi is now being challenged by law professors of the American Bar Association. The prominent organization is backing an appeal case against Vanisi's sentence and wants the Supreme Court of Nevada to exempt mentally-ill offenders from the death penalty.

An amicus curiae brief filed by the American Bar Association early last month stated, “A categorical bar against executing people suffering from severe mental illness is required to ensure that the death penalty in nevada serves a penological purpose and reflects community standards.”

In it's brief, the American Bar Association argued that mentally-ill people were capable of displaying rationality but “may actively undermine defense attorneys because of thoughts or behaviors that are a symptom of the illness.”

"Neither retribution nor deterrence is served by executing those whose perceptions of reality, logical reasoning and ability to exercise rational judgment are significantly impaired at the time of the crime", the American Bar Association added.

“The Eighth Amendment prohibits the execution of insane people because the influence of mental illness makes those people less culpable than an offender who does not suffer from such an illness. While mental illness may cause a person to have trouble comprehending the proceedings or the wrongfulness of his conduct, many people who suffer from severe mental illness display high intellectual functioning and may even display developmental maturity.”

https://matangitonga.to/2019/11/13/t...-united-states
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    In today's orders, the United States Supreme Court DENIED Vanisi's petition for certiorari.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Nevada
    Case Numbers: (78209)
    Decision Date: January 27, 2022
    Rehearing Denied: May 18, 2022

https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...23zor_p860.pdf

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar

Thread Information