Thread: Derrick Todd Lee - Louisiana

Derrick Todd Lee - Louisiana

Geralyn DeSoto

Six victims: (from top left) Gina Green,
    Charlotte Pace, Trineisha Colomb, from
    bottom left, Pam Kinamore, Carrie Yoder
    and Randi Mebruer.

Summary of Offense:

On May 31, 2002, Lee savagely killed 22-year-old Charlotte Murray Pace by raping and then stabbing her over 81 times with a knife and a 12-inch flat-blade screwdriver. By the time it was over, her skull was fractured, her face disfigured and her hands bruised, suggesting that she fought her attacker. Authorities say they have linked Lee through DNA evidence to the deaths of seven women from 1998-2003. Defense attorneys argued that Lee should be spared the death penalty because he is retarded, putting on evidence from a neuropsychologist. The prosecution rejects these claims, saying its psychologist and psychiatrist examined Lee and found him not to be retarded.

February 3, 2010

Derrick Todd Lee seeks new trial

PORT ALLEN, La. - Death row inmate Derrick Todd Lee made an appearance in a Port Allen courtroom seeking a new trial in the 2002 beating and fatal stabbing of an Addis woman. Lee has been convicted in the deaths of two women and suspected of killing five others.

Tuesday's court appearance stemmed from court papers filed July 30, in which Lee claims that he received "ineffective assistance of counsel" during the August 2004 second-degree murder trial that led to his conviction of murdering Geralyn Barr DeSoto, 21.

Lee didn't make a statement during his brief appearance Tuesday before Judge Robin Free.

Lee, instead, left it to his attorney, Gary Clements, to ask the judge for more time to review the evidence investigators have compiled linking Lee to the killings of additional women in south Louisiana.

Clements told the judge he hadn't done a lot of work on Lee's case yet and would need more time to review the evidence.

Free granted Clements' request for more time to gather information before Aug. 3, the date of Lee's next scheduled court appearance in Port Allen.

Clements said after Tuesday's court session that he didn't see his request for more time as a stalling tactic, but rather as a means of guaranteeing Lee's constitutional rights.

Clements said Lee's petition for post-conviction relief should give defense attorneys their first-ever opportunity to see all of the police reports, prosecution files and other evidence not made available to Lee during his August 2004 trial for killing DeSoto.

Clements said he would spend time between now and Aug. 3 looking for any legal problems in the way Lee was prosecuted and convicted.

"I want to see if there are any problems or new evidence that will shed light on things," Clements said.

Also after court, Assistant District Attorney Marty Maley said he had no objection to Clements' request for more time.

In addition to his August 2004 conviction and subsequent sentencing to life in prison for the murder of DeSoto, Lee also is linked to the killings of six other women.

In October 2004, Lee was convicted and sentenced to die by lethal injection in the 2002 murder of Charlotte Murray Pace, of Baton Rouge.

Investigators believe Lee also is implicated in the slayings of Trineisha Dene Colomb, Lafayette; Randi Mebruer, Zachary; and Carrie Lynn Yoder, Pam Kinamore and Gina Wilson Green, all of Baton Rouge.

Lee is accused of attempting to rape and kill Diane Alexander, of Breaux Bridge, who later testified against Lee during the DeSoto and Pace trials.

Investigators have said DNA evidence found at crime scenes implicates Lee to slayings of all of the named women victims between April 1998 and March 2003.

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20...1620?p=1&tc=pg

La., Miss. moms connect over daughters' deaths

Lynne Marino and Ann Pace share a unique bond forged by unimaginable tragedy and fueled by a deep love for their murdered daughters and a burning desire for justice.

Pace's daughter, 22-year-old Charlotte Murray Pace, was slain by reputed south Louisiana serial killer Derrick Todd Lee in May 2002.

Lee, who sits on death row at the Louisiana State Penitentiary in Angola for that murder, is suspected of killing Marino's daughter — 44-year-old Pam Kinamore — six weeks later.

Evidence of Lee's alleged slaying of Kinamore was introduced at his 2004 first-degree murder trial in the killing of Pace's daughter.

Ann Pace and Marino attended the Baton Rouge trial. When the New Orleans-based Louisiana Supreme Court heard Lee's direct appeal in 2007, Pace and Marino sat in the front row. The high court affirmed his conviction and death sentence in January 2008.

Lee now is seeking a new trial, and every time he returns to state District Judge Richard Anderson's courtroom for a post-conviction hearing, Pace and Marino sit side-by-side not far from the jury box where Lee sits.

Lee's next scheduled court appearance is Tuesday, and Pace — who lives in Jackson, Miss. — and Marino vow to be there.

"Both of us felt a unity of ferocity. We felt driven to fight for justice for our children," Pace, in a telephone interview last week from her Mississippi home, said in explaining the bond that developed between the two mothers.

"I hope that our bond and our activism is encouraging to anybody going through this because you can make a difference," Marino stressed during an interview last week in her home in Ascension Parish.

"I don't want people to forget these wonderful women," she said of her daughter, Pace's daughter and several other women that authorities assert were killed by Lee.

Marino described Pace as her "soul mate."

"I think the world of Ann. She's such a wonderful person," Marino said. "We don't talk often, but when we do, we pick up right where we left off."

Pace called her unbreakable bond and friendship with Marino a "gift."

"It's such a shock (to lose a child). It's such a horror. You need someone who understands that," Pace said. "In that kind of horror, you find friendships.

"If one of us would move away and we would not see each other again," Pace added, "we'd still be friends."

Pace, a former LSU graduate student, was killed May 31, 2002, in her Sharlo Avenue home.

"He (Lee) killed her one week almost to the hour of her graduation from LSU," noted Ann Pace, who calls her daughter Murray.

"You really can't take in something like that," she said. "It changes the world. It's not the same world."

Kinamore disappeared July 12, 2002, from her home in Briarwood. Her body was found four days later under Interstate 10 near Whiskey Bay.

"Pam and I were particularly close," an emotional Marino said through tears. "It's still hard to look at her picture."

Lee, 42, of St. Francisville, was convicted in October 2004 of first-degree murder in Pace's killing. Evidence of four other slayings, including Kinamore's, and an attempted murder that Lee allegedly committed were introduced at the trial.

Marino said she is at peace with Lee not standing trial directly in the killing of her daughter.

"Why spend the state's money? I know he killed my child," she said. "That's why I'm adamant about him being put to death."

"They (opponents of the death penalty) claim the death penalty doesn't deter crime. If they (the state) used it, it would," Marino said, referring to the more than six years that have passed since Lee was condemned to die.

"Here I am 74-1/2 years old, and I'm still fighting for justice," she said.

Pace argued it is not rational to allow DNA evidence to work "so expeditiously" to exonerate someone accused of a crime while at the same time allowing a DNA-based conviction to be dragged out in the courts.

She called serial killers a "cancer" that must be excised.

Marino acknowledged that attending every court hearing in Lee's case has been "therapeutic."

"Chasing Derrick Todd Lee and speaking up was right for me. It's not right for everybody," she said.

Lee is suspected of killing seven south Louisiana women between 1998 and 2003, including Trineisha Dene Colomb, of Lafayette; Randi Mebruer, of Zachary; and Carrie Lynn Yoder and Gina Wilson Green, both of Baton Rouge.

He also was convicted of second-degree murder and sentenced to life in the Jan. 14, 2002, slaying of Geralyn Barr DeSoto, 21, of Addis.

In addition, Lee is accused of attempting to rape and kill Diana Alexander, of Breaux Bridge, who later testified against Lee at the DeSoto and Pace trials.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/n...#ixzz16g36hs4s

Another delay for Derrick Todd Lee

There's another long setback surrounding the case of South Louisiana serial killer Derrick Todd Lee. He was in District Court this morning for a motions hearing.

Lee is seeking a new trial. In court, Judge Richard Anderson allowed Defense Attorney Gary Clements more time to request documents from different law enforcement agencies involved with the case.

"This is the most complicated case in this area in history," Clements said. "We need time and resources to do everything."

Anderson set a firm date of April 15- when all sides should be back in court.

"At the end of the trial we thought for just a minute maybe we had won," Charlotte Murray Pace's mom, Ann Pace said. "What we could never have forseen is that this would have gone on all these years."

Pam Kinamore's mother, Lynne Marino, was also in court sitting in the front row.

"You can understand our frustration," Marino said. "I wish my daughter and Ann's daughter and other victims had been given all of this extra time. My child would have seen her child graduate from grammar school and high school."

Lee was convicted and sentenced to death for the murder of Charlotte Murray Pace in 2002. He is also serving a life sentence in the slaying of Geralyn DeSoto, also in 2002.

Lee is suspected of killing seven women from South Louisiana from 1998-2003.

District Attorney Hillar Moore said he is exploring options to prevent further setbacks.

"From the District Attorney's standpoint, we are going to try to find out how to speed this process along," Moore said

Source

S.A. woman looking for answers in the shadow of a serial killer

Michelle Skidmore thinks tragedy is right around the corner or just a phone call away. In fact, the San Antonio woman believes that her immediate family -- one-by-one -- will meet a tragic end. Her critical thinking or pessimism stems from the murder of her older sister.

The case remains unsolved by the Baton Rouge Police Department. However, there is heavy speculation that Skidmore's sister, Christine Moore, is a victim of Derrick Todd Lee, a man considered as the south Louisiana serial killer.

Investigators from the Multi-Agency Homicide Task Force probing a string of women murdered in southern Louisiana said Lee is connected to the killings of seven victims by DNA. Yet, his alleged terror has been cast on the unsolved murders of other women in the Baton Rouge area. Moore is one of those cases.

According to authorities, the LSU graduate student vanished around May 23, 2002. She reportedly went jogging. Her car was found abandoned. Skidmore remembers a detective calling her parents' New Orleans home asking permission to open Moore's trunk. She said her mother broke into tears. The trunk was empty.

Nearly a month later, Moore's skeletal remains were found near a church not far from Baton Rouge. Investigators believed she was killed by blunt force trauma. What was left of a vibrant beautiful young woman had been exposed to the elements too long to get a DNA sample.

"Nothing was the same after that," her 30-year-old sister said. "I wanted to know what really happened."

'I will never know'

Conclusive answers have eluded the family for almost a decade. Speculation and the probability of *********** about Lee is as good as it gets. That's still not enough for Skidmore.

"I will never know if that man murdered my sister," Skidmore said.

However, she'd like to have a conversation with a man who is allegedly linked by DNA to the murders of 41-year-old nurse Gina Wilson Green, 21-year-old LSU grad student Geralyn DeSoto, 21-year-old Charlotte Murray Pace, 44-year-old mother and wife Pamela Kinamore, 23-year-old Dene Colomb, and 26-year-old Carrie Lynn Yoder.

Each was either reportedly strangled, stabbed, beaten, sexually assaulted, killed or some combination of the above.

"If I could ask him did you really kill her," she said. " I need to know. But would he tell the truth?"

Lee was convicted for the capitol murder of Pace. He remains in prison on death row awaiting execution by way of lethal injection. The so-called serial killer was also found guilty of killing DeSoto.

Moved to San Antonio

Justice seems only a dream for Moore's family. Skidmore moved to San Antonio because of Hurricane Katrina. She still lives in the shadow of the tragedy. Her move to the Alamo City did not allow the pain to escape.

"I remember my dad telling me maybe someone was after my sister because of the work she did at LSU," she said.

Moore was majoring in social work. Then, their father changed his mind. He felt Lee was his daughter's killer. It put the family in the shadow of the so-called south Louisiana serial killer. They were ready to join other families in a fatal bond no one wanted to share.

"There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about that and what happened to her," she said.

It's something Moore younger sister said she has to live with everyday of her life. She struggles with the inner guilt of "what if."

"I didn't lose just a sister," she said. "I lost a best friend."

There are other siblings. In fact, six children remain alive. Their mother died in 2009 of health issues. Skidmore thinks her sister's unsolved murder ate away at their mom little-by-little.

"She never thought it would happen to one of her own," Skidmore said.

'Bad things happen to good people'

The Louisiana native recalls praying for her family's safety. She calls that a naive wish.

"Sometimes bad things happen to good people," she said. "We are not immune to any of the sufferings of this world."

That harsh reality has given her strength. She claims it has helped her cope. But, many questions remain unanswered and closure appears a lofty dream. So, she believes that tragic deaths in her family are not over.

"It prepares me for the worst," she said.

Christine Moore's murder is a story this sister rarely tells because she admits there are still issues to overcome.

http://www.kens5.com/news/Looking-fo...118973144.html

Judge denies Lee another extension

Attorneys for convicted serial killer Derrick Todd Lee were denied an extension to file their client's post-conviction appeal on a death penalty sentence.

When District Court Judge Richard D. Anderson granted a five-month delay in November, he told defense attorneys it would probably be the last one.

He even remarked the IRS would grant another extension easier than he would.

During the hearing in November, Anderson set an April 15 deadline for Lee's lawyers to go through all 596 bags of evidence.

The families of Lee's victims have expressed anger and frustration over the numerous delays with moving the case along. They said they don't like the tactics defense attorneys have used.

Lee was convicted in 2004 of the murder of Charlotte Murray Pace and was implicated in the deaths of five others.

http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=14410296

Attorneys seek retrial for suspected serial killer Derrick Todd Lee

Reputed South Louisiana serial killer Derrick Todd Lee’s 2004 first-degree murder conviction and death sentence should be thrown out and he should be retried because his court-appointed trial lawyers were under-funded and ineffective, an attorney for Lee claims in several volumes of documents filed Tuesday.

Gary Clements with the Capital Post-Conviction Project of Louisiana also accuses East Baton Rouge Parish prosecutors of misconduct and says they struck qualified prospective black jurors and improperly personalized the victims and the evidence.

Clements further contends -- in a 274-page petition for post-conviction relief and motion for evidentiary hearing -- that Lee was “incompetent’’ when he was put on trial, and he further alleges that Lee is “mentally ill’’ and “brain-damaged’’ and cannot be executed.

The petition, which was due April 15, was postmarked that day and received and filed Tuesday at the East Baton Rouge Parish Clerk of Court’s Office.

Lee, 42, of St. Francisville, is on death row in the 2002 slaying of Charlotte Murray Pace, a former LSU graduate student.

He is suspected of killing seven south Louisiana women between 1998 and 2003.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Att...-Todd-Lee.html

Convicted Baton Rouge serial killer sells artwork from prison

BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - South Louisiana serial killer, Derrick Todd Lee's artwork has somehow slipped from behind his cell at death row. It is now on sale to the public and the mother of a victim he is suspected of murdering is outraged.

Lee's drawings are listed for sale on a website that advertises and sells inmate artwork. Angola Prison Warden Burl Cane says he was surprised to hear Lee's work was posted there.

Derrick Todd Lee, a.k.a. the Baton Rouge Serial Killer, was born November 5, 1968 in St. Francisville, LA. He was linked by DNA to the deaths of seven women in the Baton Rouge and Lafayette areas. Lynn Marino, whose daughter Pam Kinamore was one of the seven murdered, says the website creators have gone too far.

"Look at this, original water colors, done by serial killer Derrick Todd Lee," said Marino.

Marino and her friend Audrey Sanchez are in utter shock over the inmate artwork displayed on serialkillersink.net. One of Lee's pieces has grabbed Marino's attention, a painting of a panda bear eating bamboo, signed Derrick Lee. "I tell ya, the Panda looks like him. Look at those eyes, Really?" said Morino.

Lee was convicted in 2004 for the murders of Geralyn DeSoto and Charlotte Murray Pace. When tried for DeSoto's murder in August of 2004, because she had not been sexually assaulted, he was only charged with second degree murder. He we convicted by a jury and sentenced to life in prison without parole. Then in October, he was convicted for the rape and murder of LSU graduate student Charlotte Murray Pace. Lee was sentenced to die by lethal injection.

The panda picture is listed for sale at $25. There is also a second drawing on the site by Lee which depicts two swans. According to the site, it is out of stock. "He's using our tax money to draw these drawings, which infuriates me," said Sanchez.

"How did he manage to get this done in a secure cell, 24 hours a day?" said Morino.

Angola Prison Warden Burl Cain says the people who run the website tricked Lee into sending them his artwork. "They conned him out of it because they sent a picture of a pretty little girl who said she wanted to be his pen pal. She sent $20. He sent artwork, never realized it would be on the internet," said Cain.

Serialkillersink.net cofounder, Erin Gein, says that is not true. He claims Lee sent his partner, Jessika Miller, a letter soliciting them to see his artwork.

"They just ought to stop it. Why does anybody need any bit of memorabilia from a killer. It's insane!" said Sanchez.

The people behind the website claim it is just business. To Marino, it is heartless. "Unless something affects you, you think you understand and can be compassionate. But unless you walk in that person's shoes, you have no idea," said Marino.

Cain says the prison has now put some extra measures in place to keep inmate art from being sold. For example: Cain says all money wired into the inmates' expense accounts will be traced.

By the way, there was a bill introduced to Congress last year that would prohibit the sale of inmate art, but it didn't pass. Marino says she is going to put pressure on our state lawmakers to do something like that here.

Most of the murders connected to Lee were committed in the area around LSU, and two of the victim's bodies were discovered at the Whiskey Bay boat launch, about 30 miles west of Baton Rouge, just off I-10.

During the manhunt for Lee, John Walsh, host of America's Most Wanted, named the Baton Rouge Serial Killer to his Top 10 Fugitives of 2002 at #3.

http://www.wafb.com/story/16635022/c...rk-from-prison

10 years ago DNA linked Derrick Todd Lee to serial killings

Ten years ago, on July 19, 2002, it was a day of discovery for people of Baton Rouge. It was the day that a DNA match linked Derrick Todd Lee to numerous murders in the Baton Rouge area, which put a name to the serial killer that was on the loose.

Diane Alexander woke up on Tuesday morning July 9, 2002, not knowing that within a few hours she would be close to death. She was headed for a fight with one of the most brutal and savage killers South Louisiana had seen in sometime. Diane wouldn't have to go far to find that fight, it would show up at her front door.

Derrick Todd Lee attacked Diane Alexander in her Breaux Bridge home after pushing his way in. Lee beat her repeatedly and tried to rape. Alexander's son showed up and interrupted Lee.

Alexander was able to give police a description, 10 years ago, but no one recognized it as Lee. The same afternoon, the Louisiana State Police crime lab had made a big discovery. Scientist looking to link recent murder cases discovered the same DNA pattern had been left at two different crime scenes.

One DNA sample was collected at a murder scene on Stanford Avenue, the other was from a murder scene on Sharlo Avenue, both matched an unknown killer.

Late on that July afternoon police would announce that the same unknown killer had murdered and raped Gina Wilson Green and Murray Pace.

"It appears that we have a single killer," Baton Rouge Police Chief Pat Englade said at the time "We want to caution everybody."

Those words on that July 9th day changed everything and put people on edge.

Although no one had a name to go with, the serial killer's DNA was enough to compare to future crime scenes and would eventually be tied to Derrick Lee a year later in May.

Derrick Lee is now on Angola's death row.

http://www.ksla.com/story/18985351/d...s-10-years-ago
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Judge denies Derrick Todd Lee's request for original DNA swabs

South Louisiana serial killer Derrick Todd Lee was back in a Baton Rouge courtroom for a hearing Thursday.

His lawyers asked for the original DNA swabs taken from Lee to be turned over to them.

The judge over the proceeding denied the request from defense attorneys.

Lee appeared in court wearing a blue jean jacket. He was heavily chained.

Lee is currently going through the process of appealing his death penalty sentence.

He is trying to get it changed to life in prison

http://www.ksla.com/story/20107181/j...inal-dna-swabs
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information