Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aaron Brian Gunches - Arizona Death Row

Well, this request is going to take two years to clear the courts, so if it does then it will turn into a Dozier situation if it gets that far.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    Here is the motion filed by Gunches. Apparently, he let the State (the Attorney General office?) know of his intentions back in 2018, but he, quote "has effectively been ignored". Therefore, he now decided to bypass the AG office, and filed a pro se motion with the Arizona Supreme Court.

Gunches has been directed to file his final response not later than December 20, 2022, and then the Court will rule on the matter.

https://it.scribd.com/document/61249...led-by-Gunches
    Last edited by Mastro Titta; 12-06-2022 at 07:29 AM.

Man on Arizona death row requests execution

The Arizona Supreme Court has ordered the state to respond by Wednesday to a man on death row who is requesting to be executed. In a motion filed on November 25, Aaron Gunches asked the state supreme court to issue a death warrant, "so that justice may be lawfully served and give closure to the victim's family."

Gunches was sentenced to death for the 2002 murder of Ted Price, who was an ex-husband of Gunches’ girlfriend at the time. Gunches kidnapped and shot Price multiple times in a desert off the Beeline Highway.

The Arizona State Supreme Court responded to Gunches' motion on November 30, giving the state until December 7 to respond.

Justice Kathryn King said Gunches, who is now 51, would then have until Dec. 20 to respond. The court would not likely make any decisions until after that time.

If the state were to seek a warrant, and the court were to grant it, the execution date would be set for 35 days after the approval. That means that the state could not execute Gunches while Arizona Attorney General Mark Brnovich and Gov. Doug Ducey are in office.

Instead, the timing means Attorney General-elect Kris Mayes and Gov.-elect Katie Hobbs would be responsible for executing Gunches.

A consultant for the Mayes transition team said she would need to learn more about the case, and did not feel comfortable commenting now. Mayes previously told The Republic "The death penalty is the law of Arizona. Any attorney general takes an oath to faithfully enforce the law."

"We need to take some time to assess how the death penalty has worked, and make sure that this is done legally and correctly," Mayes said in October.

Neither Brnovich's office nor the Hobbs transition team immediately responded to requests for comment.

There are currently 110 prisoners on death row in Arizona. Gunches is one of 21 who have exhausted their appeals.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...n/69702944007/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

The AG has requested an Execution Date.

https://www.azag.gov/press-release/a...-aaron-gunches

Gunches appeals were successfully waived back in 2018, he was considered to have his appeals exhausted by the AG prior to the restart. The delay as to why he was picked wasn't explained.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    Execution warrant sought for an Arizona death row inmate

By Associated Press

The Arizona Attorney General’s Office on Wednesday requested the state Supreme Court issue a warrant of execution for death row inmate Aaron Gunches.

The 51-year-old Gunches was originally sentenced to death in 2008. He’s one of 21 death row inmates who have exhausted their appeals.

Last month, Gunches asked the Arizona Supreme Court to issue a death warrant for him to give closure to the victim’s family.

The state has 110 inmates on death row and has already executed three inmates this year.

If the Arizona Supreme Court grants the warrant, the execution date would be set for 35 days after the approval.

Prosecutors said Gunches fatally shot his girlfriend’s ex-husband in 2002 and the victim’s body was later found in a desert area.

Gunches was pulled over by the Arizona Department of Public Safety near the California border in 2003 and shot a trooper twice, according to authorities.

The trooper survived thanks to a bulletproof vest and bullet casings from the shooting scene matched the ones found near Price’s body.

Gunches later pleaded guilty to kidnapping and killing Price and to the attempted murder of the DPS trooper.

In 2010, the Arizona Supreme Court found an error in the sentencing proceeding and remanded Gunches’ case for new sentencing.

He was sentenced to death again in 2013.

https://apnews.com/article/arizona-c...7546facd720df3

So if it’s granted how is this going to be carried out? The incoming Democratic administration most certainly doesn’t want any executions going forward. Unless Brnovich is still somehow attorney general when this happens given Abe Hamadehs lawsuit this isn’t going to go through.
    Last edited by Neil; 12-08-2022 at 04:05 PM.

The incoming attorney general is pro-death penalty but Katie Hobbs wants the death penalty abolished in Arizona. Unfortunately for her a referendum would have to vote for it to happen which has failed every time in the past. The only thing she’d be able to do is grant temporary stays which there is no doubt she will do.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

They all say that Bob. The incoming attorney general said it’s the law of the land but we’ve seen many of these politicians do a complete 180 once they get into office. I doubt Mayes would ask for warrants once she gets in. Shapiro asked the PA Supreme Court not to strike the death penalty down when he was attorney general and yet now he wants it abolished there. So after Ducey is gone next month capital punishment is over with there.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsicles View Post
    The incoming attorney general is pro-death penalty but Katie Hobbs wants the death penalty abolished in Arizona. Unfortunately for her a referendum would have to vote for it to happen which has failed every time in the past. The only thing she’d be able to do is grant temporary stays which there is no doubt she will do
    There is a recount ongoing for the attorney general election, and I am not sure that the Arizona governor can even grant a stay without the advice and consent of the pardon board.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    The Hobbs administration can always do something like not obtain the drugs to carry one out, not to mention making appointments to the parole board.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information