Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: West Virginia Capital Punishment News

Delegate calls for return of death penalty following Hatfield death

CHARLESTON, W.Va. — A member of the House of Delegates promised Tuesday to introduce a bill in next year’s legislative session to bring back the death penalty in West Virginia.

Del. Rupie Phillips (D-Logan) told fellow House members the reason is last week’s murder of former coal executive Ben Hatfield.

“He was a friend of man and a supporter of mine. He was the (victim) of a cowardly act of some druggies. He was a fine guy,” Phillips said of Hatfield.

Capital punishment needs to return because of such acts, Phillips said.

“West Virginia should not stand for something like this.”

While Phillips was giving his brief floor speech, one of the three men charged in connection with Hatfield’s death was in Wayne County Magistrate Court for a preliminary hearing.

Ricky Peterson is named in a number of charges including being an accessory after the murder. He allegedly helped alleged shooter Anthony Arriaga after Hatfield was shot and killed in a Mingo County cemetery during an alleged robbery attempt.

A magistrate found enough evidence Tuesday to forward charges against Peterson to the Wayne County grand jury. Peterson is also charged with obstructing/resisting an officer and giving false information to a trooper.

http://wvmetronews.com/2016/05/31/de...atfield-death/

Petition Created To Publicly Hang Benjamin Taylor, Who Raped 9-Month-Old To Death

Benjamin Taylor, 32, has been arrested and is being held on a $2 million bail in Southern Regional Jail, West Virginia. The man has been charged with the rape and beating resulting in the death of 9-month-old Emmaleigh Barringer, daughter of his girlfriend, with whom he lived. The baby's mother has 3 older children who were apparently unharmed by Taylor.

On the morning of October 3, Amanda Adkins awoke early, around 4 a.m., after going to bed about 6 hours earlier. After awakening, she discovered the baby was not in her crib. She began a frantic search which ended when she found Emmaleigh naked, bleeding, battered and unresponsive in the basement of her home near Ripley, WV. She immediately called 911, but when paramedics arrived, Emmaleigh was not breathing. Although they were able to regain Emmaleigh's pulse, she was placed on a ventilator and was soon pronounced brain dead. She had head trauma and had lost massive blood from the brutal sexual assault, which responding police characterized as "the worst sexual assault they had ever seen", according to Fox 43.

Benjamin Taylor, according to Facebook information, has apparently been Amanda Adkin's boyfriend sine July. He apparently has an infant son of his own with another woman, but the baby did not live with him and is reportedly unharmed. Within hours of the discovery of Emmaleigh, Taylor was arrested and taken to jail, where his charges were soon upgraded to murder after the family had made the difficult decision to take Emmaleigh off life support. The infant girl died immediately.

Meanwhile, as local residents and people across the country struggle to make sense of what happened, Benjamin Taylor's Facebook page has been scrutinized. His bio says "dead inside", but it is unclear when he wrote that bio. His Facebook page says he is a laborer.

Hate posts fill his page from distressed and enraged individuals, some who knew him, and some who didn't. Most wish death upon him in descriptive brutal manners. One Facebook post that was posted by Taylor not long before the brutal rape of Emmaleigh said "Real mean love other men's children like their own." Over 300 people have commented, many of them calling for the public hanging of Benjamin Taylor. While the death penalty is outlawed in West Virginia, a petition to Congress that was created yesterday that calls for his public lynching has already received 2,000 signatures.

Many people describe the brutal things they would like to inflict upon Taylor, and many express concern that his own infant son has been sexually assaulted by him, although there has been no actual evidence of this. Many of Taylor's Facebook posts are about drugs or sex, which has disgusted the public at large. One woman wrote that she hopes he will be tortured for the rest of his life for what he did to Emmaleigh.

"His horrible and evil actions proves evil has no boundaries and no shred of morality or humanity. That defenseless child had to live the last moments of her life conscious in excruciating pain wondering what she did wrong to deserve that or why it was happening to her screaming in pain underneath her killer with zero comfort or love. Your evil actions caused a small innocent baby to die a horrific death. She had her whole life ahead of her and has people who love her that now have to carry the pain and suffering you have caused. You have done something that cannot ever be justified or be undone. If you do live through your prison experience and are released no one here will ever forget or let you live without being reminded of what you have done to that baby."

http://www.inquisitr.com/3566664/pet...-old-to-death/
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member Member
    The petition has been removed for violating the terms of service of the petition site. It garnered a _lot_ of signatures before it was removed.

Editorial:

We are sick of seeing children harmed by vile deviants

By Samantha Perry
    Bluefield Daily Telegraph

It’s going to be a bad one. I know it when I exit my car while simultaneously turning off the ringer on the iPhone.

Judges don’t like cellphones going off during court.

A copy of the previous week’s criminal complaint is tucked in my notepad.

The details are sickening.

Who does this to kids?

I grab my corner seat in the courtroom and await the proceedings. Photographer Jess Nuzzo has already taken a prime spot for the proceedings.

We are awaiting the arrival of the suspect or, in my words, “the perv.”

Perhaps I should be more politically correct, but I have no sympathy for those charged with the molestation of children.

I have, unfortunately, been on this beat for years. I thought I had seen the worst of the worst.

I was wrong.

I hate these cases. Yet I cover them because it is my job. I am charged with shining a spotlight on those going through the legal system.

I have reported on court cases for years. Armed robberies. Murders. Assaults. It’s real-life drama of good versus bad.

Today should be just another day in court. But it’s not.

The suspect is a 25-year-old man. The victim is a 3-year-old female. The alleged crimes are so atrocious I pause in the middle of my note-taking. I am writing words and quotes that are disturbing, disgusting and graphic. They will never appear in print. Yet I dutifully continue scribbling.

I arrive home in the evening to find the television still tuned to a news channel I was watching before work. The host is discussing a high-profile child sexual assault and murder case out of Florida.

The victim is 8-year-old Cherish Perrywinkle.

In June 2013, Cherish was out shopping with her mother and sister at a discount store when they were befriended by Donald Smith.

Smith offered to help the impoverished family, and volunteered to buy clothes for the girls. They later met up at Walmart, where Smith said his wife would soon be arriving with a gift card.

While Cherish’s mother, Rayne, picked out clothing, Smith said he was going to get a bite to eat at a McDonald’s located within the store. Cherish, too, wanted a cheeseburger.

But instead of leading the child to the fast-food restaurant, surveillance video shows him taking her out the door and to his waiting van.

He then kidnapped, raped, tortured and killed her.

Who does this to kids?

Smith is found guilty of the crimes, and a jury recommends the death sentence.
    Good.

My only wish is that it would be carried out by public hanging in the town square.

It is a harsh statement — one that some would call brutal. But I am absolutely sick of seeing children harmed by vile deviants.

West Virginia has no death penalty, so the worst punishment our lowest of lowlifes can get is “three hots and a cot” for life. It doesn’t seem just.

Two police officers, two Child Protective Service workers and one forensic child interview examiner take the stand during last week’s hearing.

Their testimony is beyond horrific.

When I read the criminal complaint on the case the week before, it was the first time ever I had to stop in the middle of a report and step outside for fresh air.

The courtroom details were even worse.

Jess, who is an extremely professional photojournalist, tells me afterward she started becoming physically sick during the middle of the hearing.

I understand completely.

She then asks, “Sam, how are you going to write this story?”

I knew she was referring to the many graphic details disclosed during testimony.

“I don’t know Jess,” I tell her. “It’s going to be tough.”

Hitting the save button on my computer, I send the story to three co-workers to check it for content. At least 80 percent of the testimony is not included in the article, but details are still explicit. There is a fine line between making the public aware of monstrous actions, and not including content that could truly be emotionally disturbing.

The newsroom staffers recommend one paragraph be taken out of the story. I don’t disagree.

I hit the delete button, add a headline and post the story to our website — all the while shaking my head.

Who does this to children?

http://www.bdtonline.com/opinion/col...819eeb867.html
    "I realize this may sound harsh, but as a father and former lawman, I really don't care if it's by lethal injection, by the electric chair, firing squad, hanging, the guillotine or being fed to the lions."
    - Oklahoma Rep. Mike Christian

"There are some people who just do not deserve to live,"
    - Rev. Richard Hawke

“There are lots of extremely smug and self-satisfied people in what would be deemed lower down in society, who also deserve to be pulled up. In a proper free society, you should be allowed to make jokes about absolutely anything.”
    - Rowan Atkinson

Senior Member CnCP Addict
    W.Va. Delegates introduce bill that could reinstate death penalty

By WSAZ News Staff

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (WSAZ) - W.Va. Delegates have introduced a bill that could reinstate the death penalty under certain conditions.

HB2310, introduced by Geoff Foster (R - Putnam), Tom Fast (R - Fayette), and Ruth Rowan (R - Hampshire), would allow the death penalty to be invoked in some first degree murder cases.

If a defendant is found guilty in a first degree murder trial, juries would have the option of sentencing the person to death or life imprisonment - so long as at least one of 13 conditions are met.

These conditions include the victim being an individual who was killed in the performance of his or her duty (such as firemen or police officers), the murder being the result of controlled substance use, or the defendant having a significant history of violent felony charges.

In HB2310, any death sentence would automatically be reviewed on the record by the Supreme Court of Appeals, who would either confirm the sentence or remand the case for resentencing.

If HB2310 passes, each death sentence would be executed by lethal injection at least three months after the sentencing.

https://www.wymt.com/2021/02/12/wva-...death-penalty/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information