Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Oyola - Florida

Miguel Oyola - Florida

Facts of the Crime:

Convicted and sentenced to death in the December 2007 murder of Michael Lee Gerard. The 35-year-old Gerard was stabbed to death back in December 2007. A logger discovered his body deep in the woods off Tram Road in Jefferson County.

Oyola was sentenced to death in Jefferson County on October 25, 2010.

September 1, 2010

After nearly two hours of deliberation, a jury found 40-year-old Miguel Oyola guilty of first-degree murder of Michael Lee Gerrard.

Oyola was indicted and charged with Gerrard's murder on October 2nd, 2008. Gerrard was stabbed to death and his body was found in a wooded area near the Jefferson County, Leon County line.

Closing arguments got underway Monday morning and prosecutors say Oyola didn't just premeditate the murder,but that it was done with extreme violence.

"He is guilty of nothing less than first degree murder, nothing less than first degree murder. He deliberately killed Michael Lee Gerrard, deliberately, not one but two ways. Repeated blows, repeated stabbing, a murder that transpired over a period of time. You know he meant to accomplish what he had done," says Neill Wade.

Oyola's defense attorney claims that much of the prosecutor's case was speculation, and that it was a crime committed in the heat of passion.

"There was an unlawful killing of Michael Lee Gerrard, by an act imminently dangerous to another and demonstrating a depraved mind, without the regard to human life. That's the perfect definition of someone with a depraved mind, not first degree murder," says Gregory Cummings.

Oyola was also found guilty of armed robbery, and grand theft.

At this point prosecutors say robbery was the motive behind the murder. Gerrard withdrew 900 dollars from his account before he was killed and when his body was found, the money was not on him.

Witnesses say Oyola claims Gerrard tried to put between 600 and 800 dollars in his mailbox as a Christmas bonus.

The penalty phase of the trial gets underway Friday morning. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/101606683.html

September 15, 2010

Man on Trial for Kidnapping, Murder in Monticello- Jury Recommends Death Penalty

Brandy Gerrard stood in tears reading a personal statement about her husband, Michael Lee Gerrard. She urged the jury to give his killer life in prison instead of the death penalty.

But by a vote of 9 to 3, the jury voted to give Miguel Oyola the death penalty, something that surprised Gerrard's family.

"I was actually very shocked I personally, and I said this earlier, I don't personally believe in the death penalty but whatever they decide is whatever they decide and I'm fine with that, so I did not think they would, I honestly didn't,I honestly didn't think they'd come back with the death sentence," says Brandy.

The jury heard a testimony from Oyola's brother,who says Miguel's violent temperment is due to his abusive upbringing. He read a statement from their parents.

"Ask that they will find forgiveness and mercy as both families deal with this tragedy," says Manuel Oyola.

Brandy Gerrard turned down a plea deal on Thursday to try Oyola for second degree murder. She says she took the risk to wait for first degree murder charges because that's what her husband would have wanted.

The judge still has to accept the recommendation from the jury before proceeding forward with the case.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/101606683.html

Oyola sentenced to death

A judge handed down the ruling Monday morning to sentence Miguel Oyola to death for a murder he committed back in 2007.

Oyola is convicted in the stabbing death of 35 year old Michael Lee Gerrard.

Back on September 3rd, a jury voted 9 to 3 to recommend Oyola get the death penalty.

Wade says that the evidence in this case warranted today's outcome.

"This case was fairly brutal. One of the more brutal I've encountered in 30 years of prosecuting. What occured to the victim, brutal is about the only way I can put it," said Wade.

Wade says it could be years before this sentence is actually carried out.

None of Oyola's family was in court today. The victim's family has relocated out of state and was not in court this morning either.

Gerrard's best friend, Johnny Devine, said it has been a long and painful ride.

He said he talked with Gerrard's wife this morning and she told him that this was the first time she's been at peace since the murder.

http://www.wctv.tv/news/headlines/UP...h_Penalty.html

Oral arguments were held on the 7th of February.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/p...es/index.shtml

You can find the briefs here.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/p...285/index.html

MIGUEL OYOLA v THE STATE OF FLORIDA

In today's Florida Supreme Court opinions, the court AFFIRMED Oyola's conviction, but reversed and remanded the sentence to the trial court for the limited purpose of requiring the trial court to provide the Florida Supreme Court with a revised sentencing order that contains a sentencing evaluation in compliance with Campbell v. State, 571 So. 2d 415 (Fla. 1990).
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Oyola's sentence was overturned today on direct appeal and was remanded for a new penalty phase.

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/d.../sc13-2048.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    Oyola's sentence was overturned today on direct appeal and was remanded for a new penalty phase.
    Not on the merits of the case. The sentencing judge has since passed away.

We reverse and remand the Second Revised Sentencing Order, which impermissibly relied on a nonstatutory aggravating factor and contained cumulative errors because the judge in this case has since passed away, we reverse and remand this case for a new penalty phase.

See Fla. R. Crim.P. 3.700(c)(2) (“In any capital case in which it is necessary that sentence be pronounced by a judge other than the judge who presided at the capital trial, the sentencing judge shall conduct a new sentencing proceeding before a jury prior to passing sentence.”)
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Senior Member Member OperaGhost84's Avatar
    Dumb law. Needs to be changed.
    I am vehemently against Murder. That's why I support the Death Penalty.

Oyola got tremendously lucky. Can't even think of another case in Florida that was remanded for a new sentencing order to be made, let alone twice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information