Thread: James Ray Walker - Nevada Death Row

James Ray Walker - Nevada Death Row

Facts of the Crime:

Convicted and sentenced to death in the August 2003 murder of Christine Anziano, 33, outside a Las Vegas drugstore. Walker also was convicted of five other charges for crimes committed against two other people within 24 hours of Anziano’s death, including slitting one man’s throat.

March 4, 2010

State Supreme Court upholds death sentence in Las Vegas slaying

A 54-year-old man sentenced to death for stabbing a woman to death has lost his appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court.

The court rejected the appeal of James R. Walker, who was found guilty of six offenses, including the slaying of Christine Anziano, 33, as she was leaving a drug store in Las Vegas in August 2003

The seven justices voted to uphold the conviction of Walker, but three said he should have a new penalty hearing because of the “inflammatory and improper comments” of the District Attorney’s Office.

After killing Anziano, Walker slit the throat of Kirk Cole and took his money.

Walker’s girlfriend Myrdus Archie, 57, assisted him in the crimes and is serving a life term as a habitual criminal.

Several hours before the Anziano murder, Walker approached 17-year-old Susan Simon, who was sitting in a car, and stole her purse.

The court rejected arguments by Walker that the death penalty is unconstitutional and said there was nothing to show the jury reached its verdict under the influence of passion or prejudice.

The majority said the death penalty was not excessive, considering the viciousness of the murder and Walker’s violent history. He had seven prior felony convictions and served 22 years in prison.

Justices Michael Cherry, Michael Douglas and Nancy Saitta said Walker should receive a new penalty hearing because of comments by the prosecutor, who argued that if jurors did not impose the death penalty, they would feel responsible if Walker harmed another person.

“This comment far exceeded the bounds of proper argument,” the three justices said.

The majority said a prosecutor may not exhort the jury to return a death penalty or take responsibility for the death of a future victim. But it concluded that the comment was brief and the evidence was compelling to support the death penalty.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...tence-las-veg/

May 19, 2010

State Supreme Court denies killer’s appeals

The Nevada Supreme Court denied a rehearing for James R. Walker, sentenced to death for killing Christine Anziano, 33, in August 2003 outside a Las Vegas drugstore.

Walker also was convicted of five other charges for crimes committed against two other people within 24 hours of Anziano’s death, including slitting one man’s throat.

The court rejected his argument that improper evidence was introduced at the trial. The court in March rejected his appeal on a 4-3 vote and has now refused to reconsider its earlier decision.

Walker, 54, is at the state prison in Ely.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010...llers-appeals/

CERTIORARI DENIED in today's United States Supreme Court orders.

WALKER V NEVADA

10-6010

On June 30, 2015, Walker filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

https://dockets.justia.com/docket/ne...cv01240/108799

5 years to file ? eesh!

After the cert denial following his direct appeal, he likely filed a state habeas petition that may have been resolved recently.

Distributed for conference March 5, 2021.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-6386.html
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Petition for certiorari denied.

Lower Ct: Supreme Court of Nevada
    Case Numbers: (75013)
    Decision Date: June 19, 2020

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search....c/20-6386.html
    Last edited by Bobsicles; 03-08-2021 at 11:42 AM.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information