Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio Capital Punishment News

Unless DeWhines master plan is to execute 30 people in 2026 I don't see them ever doing another one.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Junior Member Newbie
    Are Ohio DR inmates allowed to contact each other? I really wonder if they are or not, if you have any more information about the other states, I'll appreciate it.

In prison you can write to anyone with certain restrictions. They can talk to each other unless they are being held away from everyone for security reasons.

http://deathrowconditions.web.unc.ed...t-region/ohio/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Junior Member Newbie
    Thanks. I wonder what will happen if they sentence Jaylen Plummer to death. He stabbed and killed death row inmate Michael Madison's mother and wounded his children.

Senior Member CnCP Addict johncocacola's Avatar
    I really hope this doesn't turn into another George Ryan at the least.

Creator Of Death Penalty Law Says Ohio Won't Have Another Execution

By KAREN KASLER
    Statehouse New Bureau

There hasn’t been a killer put to death in Ohio in 18 months. And the state’s last execution has likely taken place, according to the architect of Ohio’s 1981 death penalty law. But prosecutors say killing off capital punishment entirely would be a mistake.

Ohio’s last execution was in July 2018 – the next one, in July, seems unlikely, since Gov. Mike DeWine has issued eight execution delays since taking office last year.

But there were still six death sentences handed down last year. Lou Tobin with the Ohio Prosecuting Attorneys Association said he’s concerned what would happen if the death penalty were repealed.

“All of the challenges that we see to the death penalty right now will switch to life without parole. And the next thing you know we won't have life without parole either," Tobin said.

Polls are mixed on public backing of the death penalty, and some Republicans conservatives, including House Speaker Larry Householder (R-Glenford), have said their support is waning or is gone.

Former Ohio Supreme Court Justice Paul Pfeifer wrote the death penalty law and now opposes the way it’s used. But he said he highly doubts lawmakers would go for abolishment.

“I think it'll be a tough sell to get the legislature to repeal the death penalty that’s on the books," Pfeifer said.

Pfeifer, who is now with the Ohio Judicial Conference, admitted the death penalty has been good for one thing – plea bargains, to avoid trials that are painful for the victims’ survivors and costly for the courts.

Tobin agreed, and suggested to make sure a death sentence could followed through, lawmakers should look for new ways to carry out executions.

“The statute should provide for lethal injection, any other method of execution that's been found to be constitutional. And I think we should explore the possibility of using nitrogen gas a protocol that Oklahoma is exploring right now," Tobin said.

Tobin also suggested the federal government or other capital punishment states could help Ohio get lethal injection drugs, or that Ohio should once again allow pharmacies to make those drugs and be shielded from public disclosure. The last time that was permitted, no pharmacies offered to do so. DeWine has cited drug access problems as the reasons for delaying executions.

Pfeifer said ultimately, it is up to the governor, who can delay sentences or commute to life without parole.

Pfeifer recalled a similar situation with the Ohio governor who oversaw the last two executions before the US Supreme Court struck down capital punishment. He noted there was a nine-year gap between those executions in 1963 and the court’s ruling in 1972.

“Jim Rhodes was governor of this state for four terms, for 16 years. But there were two executions when he was brand new [as] governor and then no more happened. He never said he was against the death penalty. It just didn't magically happen.”

Does he think that’s what’s happening now with DeWine? Pfeifer said he can’t say for sure.

“I don't want to presume to know what our current governor thinks personally. My guess is that he's he does not welcome the thought he is a devout Catholic. The Catholic Church is opposed to the death penalty," Pfeifer said. "I would think that he does not welcome the thought of having an execution occur on his watch and it wouldn't surprise me that it just does not happen.”

There have been 56 executions since the state resumed the death penalty in 1999, after the 1981 statute Pfeifer helped create. And the state is eighth in the country in total number of executions. But Pfeifer said he thinks Ohio has seen its last execution – which he said is a good thing.

For more on this topic and to hear more from Pfeifer and Tobin, check out this week's "The State of Ohio".

https://woub.org/2020/01/10/creator-...her-execution/
    Last edited by Moh; 01-13-2020 at 01:04 AM. Reason: Added link

DeWine delays three more executions

Gov. Mike DeWine on Friday delayed three more executions after delaying all of them in 2019.

DeWine pushed back the scheduled execution of Gregory Lott to May 27, 2021, that of John David Stumpf to May 15, 2021, and Warren Keith Henness’s to Jan. 12, 2022.

“Governor DeWine is issuing these reprieves due to ongoing problems involving the willingness of pharmaceutical suppliers to provide drugs to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, pursuant to DRC protocol, without endangering other Ohioans,” DeWine’s office said in a statement.

The last execution in Ohio was that of Robert Van Hook in July 2018. Henness was slated to die in February 2019, but DeWine delayed it after a federal magistrate judge sitting in Dayton likened Ohio’s execution method to torture.

The 6th U.S. Court of Appeals in Cincinnati later ruled that the Ohio method is constitutional. But DeWine delayed subsequent executions, saying that drug makers were threatening to cut off the state’s access to their products for any use. The Dispatch had reported that state officials were using subterfuge to get the drugs from companies that were adamantly opposed to their use in Ohio’s death chamber.

The governor also appears to have doubts about the efficacy of the death penalty.

“What keeps us safer is locking up repeat violent offenders and throwing away the key,” he told Gongwer News Service in December.

Hannah Kubbins of Ohioans to Stop Executions praised DeWine for Friday’s delays. Ohio is having problems carrying out executions at a time when public opinion is shifting against it and fewer are occurring nationally. Kubbins said it’s time for Ohio officials to consider repealing the death penalty.

“It’s just becoming clear that we should be focused on getting rid of it as a whole,” she said.

https://www.dispatch.com/news/202001...ore-executions
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Ohio House speaker opens door to death penalty repeal; Senate president doubtful

The Republican speaker of the Ohio House said Tuesday his caucus is discussing a possible repeal of Ohio’ s death penalty. His counterpart in the Senate, however, said that such a measure was unlikely in 2020.

Ohio hasn’t conducted an execution since 2018 — first because a federal judge likened the state’s procedure to torture and then because drug makers reacted strongly against news that their products were being used in Ohio executions. Some threatened to stop selling medicine to the state for any purpose.

Speaking at the annual Ohio Associated Press Legislative Preview, Speaker Larry Householder, R-Glenford, reiterated his doubts about the future of the death penalty in Ohio.

“We have a law in the books that, quite frankly, we can’t enforce,” he said of Ohio’s current intravenous protocol. “We don’t have an instrument with which to comply and we may never have an instrument with which to comply.”

Householder said there have been suggestions to use earlier execution methods such as firing squads or hanging, which would require a law change.

“I don’t think anybody would want to see that,” he said.

Noting the expense of the legal proceedings required to put someone to death, Householder said, “Maybe it’s time to take a look at putting people away for life in prison without parole.”

Emilia Strong Sykes of Akron, the Democratic leader in the House, noted racial disparities in the way the deal penalty is applied as another reason for repeal.

And Kenny Yuko of Richmond Heights, the Democratic leader of the Ohio Senate, said he is rethinking his support of the death penalty — especially in light of the many instances in which death-row inmates have been proven innocent.

But Senate President Larry Obhof, R-Medina, said he continues to support capital punishment.

“The overall question of whether some form of the death penalty should be available to law enforcement and to prosecutors — I think for particularly heinous cases — I think most members would think ‘Yeah, probably’ and I think most prosecutors and a number of people in law enforcement have offered that perspective,” Obhof said

Obhof instead raised the possibility of renewing an expired law that would allow the state to keep secret where it gets its execution drugs.

“There’s a lot of pressure from some of the companies that make the component elements,” Obhof said.

Public opinion has moved against the death penalty in recent years and the annual number of executions is a fraction of its historic highs. Also, 21 states have abolished the death penalty, while four more have declared moratoriums.

https://www.timesreporter.com/news/2...ent-doubtful/1
    An uninformed opponent is a dangerous opponent.

"Y'all be makin shit up" ~ Markeith Loyd

Noting the expense of the legal proceedings required to put someone to death, Householder said, “Maybe it’s time to take a look at putting people away for life in prison without parole.”
    I get so tired of this specious argument. It is a slippery slope.

If the expense of executing offenders convicted of capital murder is "too expensive," as compared with the cost of LWOP, then because the expense of five years in state prison is so much less than LWOP and that should be the punishment. And if that is the case, then six months in the county jail is still less expensive than the others, and then having the condemned pay for equivalent of a parking ticket is even cheaper.

Where do you draw the line?
    "Sorry for the delay, I got caught in traffic." — Rodney Scott Berget, South Dakota, October 29, 2018 — final words.

Yeah, the only reason why the Speaker is saying that is because of Oldwine. Oldwine, is using Merz to hide behind stopping executions. Merz didn’t block the execution. I’ve stated on here before, the creator of the death penalty law in Ohio said Oldwine is very faith based. Given the Pope’s recent statements on the death penalty to be abolished under all circumstances he stopped them in Ohio. There is nothing wrong with their protocol. He’s just using Merz like the coward he is to stop executions there. Desantis and Ricketts carried out executions under their governorship. Why is he so faith based? Again I’m not knocking faith, however, your supposed to uphold the rule of law. Kaine did it while he was governor, Mcauliffe did it, Desantis and Ricketts have done so recently. Two pathetic spineless rinos ruined the death penalty in Ohio. Ted Strickland was a Bernie looking hippie. I give him credit for not commuting the death sentences of all Ohio death row prisoners. He also deserves credit for working very quickly to find execution drugs after Broom’s botched execution. He presided over as many executions as Kasick did even though he was only in office four years. Two disgusting rinos ruined the death penalty in a state that can put as many as 8 people to death a year. What a shame!
    Last edited by Neil; 02-05-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Pope Francis also abolished life sentences from Vatican’s laws, even with possibility of parole, on the grounds that they are "a form of death penalty in disguise".

Now the maximum penalty in Vatican City is 35 years. Under such a law, Charles Manson would have been freed in 2004 or sooner if paroled. Nazi genociders arrested in 1944 would have been freed in 1979 or sooner if paroled.

This kind of positions are the best way to have more and more Catholics rejecting papal infallibility and following their conscience instead, as the late Justice Antonin Scalia did on the very death penalty topic, though he had a Catholic priest son and believed in the Devil.

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionand...penalty/16044/

https://www.amazon.com/Man-Shall-His.../dp/1621641260

http://nymag.com/news/features/antonin-scalia-2013-10/
    Last edited by Steven AB; 02-25-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Page 33 of 45 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread Information