Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: Tennessee Capital Punishment News

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Another GOP bill did not advance as far as the firing-squad idea. Rep. Justin Lafferty (R-Knoxville) wanted more transparency in the state’s existing lethal injection system. Specifically, he wanted Tennesseans to know what companies made and supplied the state’s lethal chemicals. Lafferty said he believed more transparency would help ease woes that now trouble the state’s lethal injection process and help get executions back on track.
    With this kind of gaslighting attempts, you see how abolitionists are constantly under-estimating the other side information and intelligence.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 04-25-2023 at 02:50 PM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

State identifies and corrects false statements it made in federal court in death row cases

By Josh Keefe
    The Nashville Tennessean

The Tennessee Department of Correction said this week it falsely told a federal court that it had tested drugs used in several recent executions. In the new court filings, the department admitted it had failed to follow its own lethal injection protocol while insisting in court that it had.

In new a filing, the department identified and corrected nine false statements it made in response to lawsuits brought by Tennessee death row inmates Terry Lynn King and Donald Middlebrooks against the department’s leadership. The department previously told the court in May 2022 that it had made inaccurate statements, but had not identified them until it filed a “Notice of Corrections of Inaccuracies and/or Misstatements” in the two cases Monday evening.

The state’s corrections mirror the findings of an independent probe of the state’s lethal injection protocol published in December, as well as a Tennessean investigation published last May.

The filing also bolsters death row inmates' legal arguments that Tennessee has conducted torturous and unconstitutional lethal injections since reinstating executions in 2018. Tennessee vigorously denied those arguments in court until last April, when it was revealed the state failed to properly test its drug cocktail, prompting Gov. Bill Lee to temporarily halt executions in the state.

Veteran death row defense attorney Kelley Henry said the information in the filings wasn’t new, but reading the state’s admission "was heartbreaking to read in black and white."

“I watched as (death row inmate Donnie) Johnson gasped and barked for air and will forever remain convinced that he was tortured by the state of Tennessee,” Henry said.

The department, represented by the Attorney General's office, said statements made that it was “prepared and able” to carry out an execution according to the state’s lethal injection protocol were false. It also admitted that it made false assertions in court that it had arranged for lethal injection drugs to be tested for sterility, potency and endotoxins, a chemical contaminant.

“The executions of Mr. Billy Irick and Mr. Edmund Zagorski deviated from the Protocol,” the state wrote in its new filings.

It also admitted that, despite declaring in court documents that the drugs were tested before being shipped to the TDOC, some of the drugs used to kill Johnson were shipped from the pharmacy that compounded them to the department before test results were received. Drugs were not tested for two other executions, the new filings said, but were ultimately not used after the death row inmates in those cases chose to die by electric chair.

Lee ordered the independent probe of the state’s protocol after temporarily halting the execution of Oscar Franklin Smith last year. Lee later paused all executions until the end of 2022, a pause which has extended into 2023.

Since the probe’s findings were released, both the TDOC commissioner and the department’s general counsel have been replaced. Lee has tasked the department’s new leadership with developing a new protocol. In Monday’s court filings, the department said it still has not established a timeline for when that new protocol will be adopted.

Department of Correction spokesperson Dorinda Carter declined to answer questions about the filings, citing ongoing litigation.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...t/70176873007/
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Frequent Poster Fact's Avatar
    The onus is on Tennessee to send the people who lied to jail.

Zagorski still was the perfect electrocution so their deviation is irrelevant imo. If they’re so worried about the gasping then switch to a different sedative or switch to pentobarbital.
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict maybeacomedian's Avatar
    Agreed. Pentobarbital is what veterinarians use (most typically in the United States) to put down mammals of various sizes; and you rarely, if ever, hear of those cases failing. And you never hear Leftists claiming that pentobarbital injection is cruel and/or unusual when it comes to animals..
    Only when it comes to certain humans that they think they may be able to squeeze one more vote out of...
    Last edited by maybeacomedian; 05-04-2023 at 01:11 AM.

These new laws are going into effect in Tennessee on July 1

These laws were passed by the General Assembly during the latest legislative session.

By Caleb Wethington and WBIR Staff

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WSMV/WBIR) - Tennessee is about to get a new set of laws going into effect on July 1.

These laws were passed by the General Assembly during the latest legislative session.

Here’s a look at the laws coming into effect:

Law requires the death penalty to be carried out within 30 business days of appeals or post-conviction relief:

The law requires people sentenced to death to be executed within 30 business days after an appeal and the “exhaustion of all available methods of post-conviction relief.”

It also allows juries to decide whether a person’s death sentence should be expedited. Juries would have to unanimously decide to speed up the process, and it’s only available for those who’ve been convicted of first-degree murder.

https://www.actionnews5.com/2023/06/...nessee-july-1/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Senior Member CnCP Addict one_two_bomb's Avatar
    Literally pointless, since appeals are filed constantly up til the last minute.

Senior Member CnCP Legend Mastro Titta's Avatar
    I still have to read the law, but likely it refers to SCOTUS cert denial.

So it's just empty administration dates and an arbitrary expedition process that won't hold up in Fed court?

Soulless nothingburger of a law.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Senior Member Frequent Poster Steven AB's Avatar
    True that federal non-supreme courts are the main problem. Then precious is last week Scotus pronouncement that Congress can strip them of their jurisdiction over state capital cases. That is a fight of the future.

http://www.cncpunishment.com/forums/...l=1#post149778

Note however that in the current peculiar case of Tennessee, it is not federal courts that are delaying executions.

And the U.S. Supreme Court has stated recently, clearly and multiple times that last-minute appeals are almost by definition dilatory and cannot be a basis for a stay.
    Last edited by Steven AB; 06-28-2023 at 04:55 PM.
    "If ever there were a case for a referendum, this is one on which the people should be allowed to express their own views and not irresponsible votes in the House of Commons." — Winston Churchill, on the death penalty

The self-styled "Death Penalty Information Center" is financed by the oligarchic European Union. — The Daily Signal

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread Information