Thread: Charlie Brooks, Jr. (aka Shareef Ahmad Abdul-Rahim) - Texas Execution - December 7, 1982

Charlie Brooks, Jr. (aka Shareef Ahmad Abdul-Rahim) - Texas Execution - December 7, 1982

Charlie Brooks was born in Fort Worth, Texas on September 1, 1942.

Facts of the Crime: On December 14, 1976, Brooks and two friends used heroin, drank, then decided to go shoplifting. When their car broke down, Brooks went to a nearby auto dealership and asked to test drive a car. An employee of the dealership, David Gregory, a 26-year-old mechanic, was required to go with Brooks pursuant to company policy. Once inside, Brooks kidnapped Gregory and went to a hotel, where he and friends bound him and shot him to death.

Time of Death: 12:16 AM

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: T-bone steak, french fries, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, biscuits, peach cobbler and iced tea.

Final Words: "I, at this very moment, have absolutely no fear of what may happen to this body. My fear is for Allah, God only, who has at this moment the only power to determine if I should live or die...As a devout Muslim, I am taught and believe that this material life is only for the express purpose of preparing oneself for the real life that is to come...Since becoming Muslim, I have tried to live as Allah wanted me to live.

Spoken:

Yes, I do.

I love you.

Asdadu an la ilah illa Allah,
    Asdadu an la ilah illa Allah,
    Asdadu anna Muhammadan Rasul Allah,
    Asdadu anna Muhammadan Rasul Allah.

I bear witness that there is no God but Allah.
    I bear witness that Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.

Inna li-Allah wa-inna ilayhi rajiun.

Verily unto Allah do we belong, Verily unto him do we return.

Be strong."

Charlie Brooks was raised in a well-off Fort Worth family and attended I.M. Terrell High School, where he played football. He had been to prison before, serving time at the United States Penitentiary, Leavenworth for illegal possession of firearms.

On December 14, 1976 Brooks went to a used car lot and asked to test drive a car. The mechanic, David Gregory, accompanied him in the car. After Brooks picked up Woody Loudres, they put the mechanic in the trunk of the car and Brooks and Loudres drove to a motel. There the mechanic was bound to a chair with coat hangers, gagged with tape and then shot once in the head. Neither Brooks nor Loudres would say who fired the shot. Because of legal complications, Lourdes received a 40 year sentence, while Brooks received the death sentence.

The Supreme Court of the United States rejected by 6-3 a petition to grant a stay of execution. The State Board of Pardons and Paroles recommended by 2-1 that the execution should proceed.

After a last meal consisting of a T-bone steak, french fries, catsup, Worcestershire sauce, biscuits, peach cobbler and iced tea, Brooks was rolled into the death chamber at the Huntsville Unit in Huntsville, Texas. There he made his final statement. Brooks had converted to Islam while in prison and as such said a prayer to Allah.

The drugs were injected at 12:09 a.m. and Brooks was pronounced dead at 12:16 a.m. A photo of his body after being transported from the Huntsville Walls (prison) Unit to the Harris County Medical Examiner's building following the execution was published in The Huntsville Item and then in Newsweek the following week in an article mentioning that the first ever judicial execution by lethal injection had occurred. (Photographer's Note: The photo was taken in the basement of the Harris County Medical Examiner's building (morgue). It was not taken at the actual execution itself, and those individuals standing near the body were employees of a local Huntsville funeral home responsible for transporting Brooks from the prison to the morgue. They were not the actual individuals responsible for carrying out the executioner, nor were they TDC employees.)

http://www.worldlingo.com/ma/enwiki/...les_Brooks,_Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    On December 7, 1982 Brooks and two friends used heroin, drank, then decided to go shoplifting. When their car broke down, Brooks went to a nearby auto dealership and asked to test drive a car. An employee of the dealership, David Gregory, a 26 year old mechanic was required to go with Brooks pursuant to company policy. Once inside, Brooks kidnapped Gregory and went to a hotel, where he and friends bound him and shot him to death.
    Heidi, this case need a bit of correction. According to wikipedia. Brooks committed the crime on December 14, 1976 and not on December 7, 1982 which is stated in the start post. His execution date is correct though "December 7, 1982".

On December 14, 1976, Brooks went to a used car lot and asked to test drive a car. The mechanic, David Gregory, accompanied him in the car. After Brooks picked up his accomplice Woody Loudres, they put the mechanic in the trunk of the car and Brooks and Loudres drove to a motel. There the mechanic was bound to a chair with coat hangers, gagged with tape and then shot once in the head. Neither Brooks nor Loudres would say who fired the shot. In exchange for his testimony at trial, Loudres received a 40 year sentence; Brooks received the death sentence.
    Charles Brooks, Jr., (September 1, 1942 – December 7, 1982) was a convicted murderer who was the first person in the United States to be executed using lethal injection.[1][2][3] He was the first lethally-killed person, since the first execution of a prisoner in Texas in 1964.

I fixed the post. Thank you for the info.
    No murder can be so cruel that there are not still useful imbeciles who do gloss over the murderer and apologize.

bem17356
    Wikipedia is hardly a reliable source for information and then there is the small problem there bias. When it comes to The Death Penalty. I have found and attempted to correct a number of errors in 5 DP cases. Only to be informed by E-mail that Wikipedia have a software program which returns all D P Articles to there original form.
    Last edited by bem17356; 02-04-2013 at 01:40 PM.

Here's to 34 years of Lethal Injections.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread Information