Thread: Jeffrey Jay Hawkins - California

Jeffrey Jay Hawkins - California

Summary of Offense:

Hawkins, who had seven prior felony convictions, was convicted of killing John Robert Hedlund, 42, and Herman Alfonzo Hicks, Jr., 39, in incidents six days apart. Hedlund, a disabled former lumberyard worker, was shot to death and found dumped along a road east of Galt on March 4, 1987. Six days later, Hawkins robbed Sonny’s Market on Mather Field Road, then ordered store manager Jerry C. Stevens to kneel on the floor. Hawkins shot Stevens, who survived, then turned his attention to Hicks, a customer who had come into the market to keep warm while waiting for a bus. Hawkins shot Hicks in the head and eventually fled to Riverside County, where he stabbed his brother in the neck as the two argued about whether Hawkins should return to Sacramento to kill the surviving witness. Stevens later testified at the trial in which Hawkins was convicted.

Hawkins was sentenced to death in Sacramento County on January 31, 1990.

On July 20, 1995, the California Supreme Court affirmed Hawkins' sentence on direct appeal.

http://scocal.stanford.edu/opinion/p...-hawkins-31287

On June 19, 1996, Hawkins filed a habeas petition in Federal District Court.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/cal...v01155/107267/

San Quentin Death Row Inmate Dies of COVID-19 Complications

SAN QUENTIN, Calif. (KRON) – Another condemned inmate at San Quentin has died from what appears to be COVID-19 complications, according to the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.

64-year-old Jeffrey J. Hawkins was pronounced dead on Wednesday, July 15 at a hospital outside of the prison.

The exact cause of death has not yet been released.

According to the online Patient Tracker, 11 inmates at San Quentin have died from COVID-19.

On February 9, 1990, Hawkins was convicted on two counts of first-degree murder with a firearm and attempted first-degree murder in Sacramento County.

At this time, 719 people are on death row in California.

No other details have been released at this time.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...complications/
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

His petition was still getting kicked around in District 24 years after getting submitted. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

The last movement on it, this June. Had the Judge still extending submission deadlines.

He has so many claims that they are named after letters of the alphabet. Why would they let this go on for this long?
    Last edited by Mike; 07-16-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    "There is a point in the history of a society when it becomes so pathologically soft and tender that among other things it sides even with those who harm it, criminals, and does this quite seriously and honestly. Punishing somehow seems unfair to it, and it is certain that imagining ‘punishment’ and ‘being supposed to punish’ hurts it, arouses fear in it." Friedrich Nietzsche

Thread Information