Thread: David Mark Hill - South Carolina Execution - June 6, 2008

David Mark Hill - South Carolina Execution - June 6, 2008

Facts of the Crime:
    Convicted and sentenced to death in the September 16, 1996 murders of Josie Curry, Michael Gregory
    and Jimmy Riddle.

On September 16, 1996, Hill walked into the Aiken County Department of Social Services office in North Augusta and shot to death his family's case worker and two other employees after losing custody of his children. Hill was found a day later in a wooded area, suffering from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had a bullet hole through the roof of his mouth and an exit wound in the top of his skull. At the time, Hill was married and had three children: a three-year-old daughter who was a quadriplegic from a traffic accident, and twin two-year-old boys. DSS had become involved with the family because of concern about the parents’ abuse of prescription drugs. The children were eventually removed from the home.

Victims: Josie Curry, Michael Gregory and Jimmy Riddle

Time of Death: 6:17 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: Meatloaf, corn on the cob, garlic bread, a beef burrito, a Mexican pizza, a taco, cake, ice cream, garden salad with tomatoes and ranch dressing, and Pepsi

Final Words: "I sincerely apologize to the families of Josie Curry, Michael Gregory and James Riddle. I am very sorry for the pain that my actions caused to them. Hopefully, my decision to have this sentence carried out, without delay, will help you understand the sincerity of my apology, and will provide you with some closure. To those of you who have expressed forgiveness to me, I thank you. For those of you who have been unable or unwilling to forgive me, I pray that today will provide you with the peace you deserve."

June 6, 2008

Man Executed for Killing 3 Social Services Workers

A man who gunned down three people in a Department of Social Services office in 1996 was executed by lethal injection Friday.

David Mark Hill, pronounced dead at 6:17 p.m. in the state’s death chamber in Columbia, was the first person put to death in South Carolina since the U.S. Supreme Court affirmed in April the constitutionality of the three-drug lethal-injection cocktail used in dozens of states.

Hill went on the shooting spree in North Augusta after his wife asked for a divorce and a social worker accused him of molesting a child. He lost custody of his children and blamed state workers.

Killed were caseworkers Jimmy Riddle, 52; Josie Curry, 35; and Michael Gregory, 30.

The state Supreme Court ruled earlier this year that the 48-year-old, who was on Death Row for eight years, could drop his appeals and be executed.

Hill’s lawyer, David Miller, read a statement from Hill that said he was sorry for the killings and hoped his victims’ relatives would find peace. “Hopefully, my decision to have this sentence carried out without delay will help you understand the sincerity of my apology and will provide you with some closure. To those of you who have expressed forgiveness to me, I thank you. For those of you who have been unable or unwilling to forgive me, I pray that today will provide you with the peace you deserve,” said Miller, reading from the statement.

Unlike other states, South Carolina did not put executions on hold while the court considered the case. Hill was the 279th person put to death in South Carolina.

Hill, clad in a dark green prison uniform and strapped to a gurney, briefly turned his head toward the witnesses, then trained his eyes on the ceiling of the brick-walled chamber. When the attorney finished speaking, a tube that ran from Hill’s outstretched left arm to the wall behind his head began to move and liquid could be seen flowing through it. Two minutes later, Hill’s breathing became labored, and he then took one large gasp, his chest heaving upward. Hill’s mouth then dropped open, and, within a minute, color drained from his face. Eleven minutes later, Hill was pronounced dead.

Relatives of the victims sat in the front row of the viewing area outside the death chamber and showed no visible reaction to the execution. They declined to comment. A handful of death penalty protesters held a vigil outside the prison where the death chamber is housed.

For his last meal, Hill was served meatloaf, corn on the cob, garlic bread, a beef burrito, a Mexican pizza, a taco, cake, ice cream, garden salad with tomatoes and ranch dressing, and Pepsi, according to the Department of Corrections.

(Source: TheState.com)

Thread Information