Thread: Mark Dean Schwab - Florida Execution - July 1, 2008

Mark Dean Schwab - Florida Execution - July 1, 2008

Facts of the Crime:
    Convicted and sentenced to death in the April 18, 1991 rape-murder of 11-year-old Junny Rios Martinez.

After seeing the photo of 11-year-old Junny Rios Martinez in a newspaper for winning a kite contest, Schwab stalked the boy. Posing as a reporter to get close to his family, Schwab kidnapped the boy from school, then raped, tortured and killed him at a Cocoa Beach motel. Schwab had been released early from a prison sentence he got for raping a 13-year-old boy. Although Schwab later claimed another man had made him kidnap and rape the boy, he was able to lead police to a footlocker in rural Brevard County where Junny's nude body was discovered.

Victim: Junny Rios Martinez

Time of Death: 6:15 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: Two fried eggs, four strips of bacon, two sausage links, hash browns, buttered toast and a quart of chocolate milk

Final Words: None

July 1, 2008

Florida executes child killer

Florida on Tuesday carried out its first execution since a botched lethal injection procedure prompted the state to revamp the way it conducts capital punishment. Mark Dean Schwab, who was convicted of kidnapping, raping and killing an 11-year-old boy, died at 6:15 p.m.

The execution was the initial test of Florida's new lethal injection procedure, which was instituted after Angel Diaz was executed in December 2006. Needles to inject the deadly chemicals into Diaz missed their mark and he suffered burns and extreme pain, triggering a state investigation and a moratorium.

It took 34 minutes for Diaz to die, more than twice the normal time. Schwab's execution started at 6:03 p.m. and lasted 12 minutes. Schwab, 39, unsuccessfully challenged Florida's new procedure, claiming it could also cause pain and suffering. His latest appeal was denied by the U.S. Supreme Court hours before he was put to death for the 1991 killing Junny Rios-Martinez of Cocoa, a small town on the central-east coast of Florida.

When authorities opened a curtain to the death chamber, Schwab lay on the table blinking his eyes. He did not make a final statement. Within two minutes of the first chemical being administered, Schwab's eyes were closed and his mouth slightly opened. A warden shook Schwab, called out his name and ran a finger over his eyelashes at 6:07 p.m. Schwab did not respond.

"I only wish my son had passed this peacefully," Junny's mother, Vicki Rios-Martinez said afterward. She and her husband were among 40 witnesses to the execution. The couple wore white T-shirts with the boy's picture on the front and the words "JUSTICE DELAYED IS JUSTICE DENIED" on the back. Outside the prison, the boy's other relatives clapped and cheered when they heard Schwab had died.

About 50 death penalty opponents held a brief prayer vigil, then quietly stood by about 75 yards from the family members. Schwab was given a stay of execution by the U.S. Supreme Court in November as it considered the constitutionality of Kentucky's lethal injection procedure. When it ruled Kentucky's protocol was acceptable, it opened the door for Florida and other states with similar laws to resume executions.

In the Diaz execution, the executioner pushed the needle through his veins into his muscles, causing severe chemical burns on his arms. Several times during the process, Diaz could be seen grimacing and asked at one time, "What's going on?" The Diaz case resulted in an investigation by a committee appointed by then-Gov. Jeb Bush. Changes suggested by the panel were incorporated into new execution procedures.

One change called for the warden to assess whether the inmate is unconscious after sodium pentothal is injected into his body. Then the executioner will inject pancuronium bromide, used to paralyze his muscles, and potassium chloride, used to stop his heart.

Schwab raped and killed Junny a month after he was released early from a prison sentence he got for raping a 13-year-old boy. The case led to Florida's Junny Rios-Martinez Act of 1992, which prohibits sex offenders from early release from prison or getting credit for good behavior. Schwab stalked the boy after seeing his photo in a newspaper for winning a kite contest.

Although Schwab claimed another man had made him kidnap and rape the boy, he was able to lead police to a footlocker in rural Brevard County where Junny's nude body was discovered.

Schwab was the 10th person executed in the United States since the Supreme Court's Kentucky ruling and the 65th inmate to be executed since Florida resumed capital punishment in 1979. Schwab was executed at the state's death chamber in Starke, which is about 40 miles southwest of Jacksonville.

(Source: Miami Herald)

Torres: Child killer execution changed my mind about the death penalty

When it comes to matters of life and death, things aren't always cut and dry.

I learned that on July 1, 2008, at the Starke Correctional Facility when I watched as a medically-sedated pedophile and murderer named Mark Dean Schwab was rolled into the killing room. Saying nothing when offered the opportunity at last words, he lay on the gurney waiting for the next injection, the lethal one, to be administered.

A few moments later, his mouth opened slightly in a contorted grimace and then his breathing soon stopped forever.

I thought I had been against the death penalty and for the most part I still am. But I was glad to see Schwab die. He was predatory, stalking, cunning and a danger to society.

People who prey on children, who stalk them like monsters in the thick of the night are never going to get better. There is no cure. They are a scourge.

Schwab tried to befriend his victim and his family. He pretended to be someone else. He was a predator in every sense of the word and he was put down for it after taking the life of 11-year-old Junny Rios-Martinez.

I remain (mostly) against the death penalty. But if I'm honest and something like that happened to one of my children I would be the first in line offering to administer the injection of death.

Junny's family recently told me that the 17-year wait for the execution did not change their mind about the death penalty. A life sentence would not have sufficed.

I understood their feelings completely. But I needed help understanding mine. I reached out to two women for assistance.

Licensed Mental Health Counselor and Master's level Certified Addictions Professional Erin Parisi, tried explaining why I felt the way I did.

"Wanting someone to die by the death penalty is an emotional response to the crime you know they committed,' she said. "Many, many people would respond emotionally the same way in the case where a pedophile assaulted and murdered a child. We see crimes against children as particularly disgusting."

She went on to explain that it's not so much justice we seek but retaliation, payback or suffering for someone who did so much harm.

Psychologist Valerie Allen said it's not uncommon for our emotions to take a dark turn when we experience trauma, even if it is someone else's.

"We can become overwhelmed to the point we are not thinking logically and not behaving rationally," she said. "We attach these deep-seated emotions to the event or circumstances and they seethe inside of us becoming magnified and more and more intense. Even years later these emotions can arise when faced with recall of this event or another similar event."

Maybe I was putting myself in Junny's father's shoes. Maybe I experienced a sort of post-traumatic stress incident just covering the execution and learning what Schwab had done in disgusting detail.

"This depth of emotion is beyond what we normally experience," Allen said. "It is not just anger, it is outrage. It is not just fear, it is terror."

Maybe none of that is true. Maybe I just don't have the stomach for someone who hurts children.

Maybe it makes me a bad person. Maybe. I don't care. I'm glad Mark Dean Schwab is dead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.flo...amp/7401510002
    Thank you for the adventure - Axol

Tried so hard and got so far, but in the end it doesn’t even matter - Linkin Park

Hear me, my chiefs! I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. - Hin-mah-too-yah-lat-kekt

I’m going to the ghost McDonalds - Garcello

Thread Information