Thread: William Alfred Murray - Texas Execution - September 17, 2008

William Alfred Murray - Texas Execution - September 17, 2008

Facts of the Crime:
    Convicted and sentenced to death in the February 10, 1998 murder of 93-year-old Rena Ratcliff.

Less than four months after being released on "shock probation" while serving a ten-year sentence for burglary, Murray broke and entered the home of 93-year-old-Rena Ratcliff in the evening. While he was rummaging through the bedroom looking for things to steal, Radcliff woke up. She struck Murray on the back of his head with her cane or walker, and Murray responded by beating her on her head. He also pulled her clothing down and raped her. He also tied an Ace bandage around her neck and stuffed the ends into her mouth. He then stole some change from a jar - about $10 - and a small knife, and left. Murray was being questioned about another burglary in the area when he told the officer that he wanted to confess another crime. He then admitted to Ratcliff's murder.

Victim: Rena Ratcliff

Time of Death: 6:20 pm

Manner of Execution: Lethal Injection

Last Meal: ten chili cheese enchiladas, a cheese pizza, one cheeseburger and sweet tea

Final Words: "I'm sorry for what I did," he told two nephews of his victim who watched him through a window in the death chamber. "I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me. The Lord has forgiven me." Murray then looked through an adjacent window where his mother and two brothers were among the witnesses. "I'll be there waiting for y'all, all right?" he told them. "God bless."

September 17, 2008

William Murray executed for 1998 killing of Kauffman County woman

HUNTSVILLE, Texas – Texas has executed condemned killer William Murray for raping and strangling a 93-year-old woman during a burglary of her Kaufman County home more than a decade ago.

William Murray was executed Wednesday night.

He was the ninth Texas prisoner put to death this year. The total is the highest in the nation.

Murray blamed drug problems for committing at least a dozen burglaries, including the one in February 1998 where Rena Ratcliff was awakened while he rummaged through her bedroom. The widow hit him with her cane or walker, surprising him, and he said after that he "went crazy."

He took about $10 in change from a jar and a knife he later traded for drugs.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...on.b0e3aa.html

Thread Information